Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
wake_me
wake_me began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Books copied through Calibre not showing in Kobo Glo Library

I would really appreciate some help with this one guys. I picked a Glo up today and have spent hours trying to troubleshoot this. My mom has an older Kobo and I've been able to use Calibre without any issue for her, but no luck with the Glo.

I've updated to the newest (1.5 i believe) Calibre version, updated the Glo, syncing it.. and still nothing. The epubs show up folders if I look through my computer. If I copy them to the root folder, still nothing when I click on the library on Glo..it just says no books found and directs me to the Kobo store.

I'm sorry if this is very common, but I've spent hours and was hoping someone would know what the issue is.

thanks in advance
wake_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_me View Post
I would really appreciate some help with this one guys. I picked a Glo up today and have spent hours trying to troubleshoot this. My mom has an older Kobo and I've been able to use Calibre without any issue for her, but no luck with the Glo.

I've updated to the newest (1.5 i believe) Calibre version, updated the Glo, syncing it.. and still nothing. The epubs show up folders if I look through my computer. If I copy them to the root folder, still nothing when I click on the library on Glo..it just says no books found and directs me to the Kobo store.

I'm sorry if this is very common, but I've spent hours and was hoping someone would know what the issue is.

thanks in advance
As I read your message, it seems that you can see the epub files in the folders when you connect the Glo to your computer and that Calibre shows them in the library as being on your Glo.

How many books are you copying to your Glo? Depending on how many epubs you have on the Glo, you might want to try removing most of them and then adding them back in slowly. There have been some issues with epubs that have hung the processing step.

When you disconnect the Glo, does the processing screen come up? If not, have you tried power cycling your Glo? I've seen that a couple of times where the processing screen didn't come up until the Kobo was power cycled. So after disconnecting from your computer, wait till your Glo gets back to the home screen and then power cycle it.

If that doesn't work, try signing out of your account (Settings, Account, sign out) which should reset your database and require you to re-setup your Glo. Much like a factory reset but without downgrading the firmware.

If that still doesn't work, the full factory reset is the next way to go.

Good luck!

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 10-05-2013 at 09:23 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
wake_me

Yes the show up when I open the drive in windows, in a folder with the author's name and two books. I've also tried copy and pasting the two books into the root drive manually

Hey just two books. By disconnecting the Glo do you mean disconnecting the usb? I don't recall seeing a processing screen, does it say processing or just the circles filling up? I'm not at home so I'll have to try it when I get home.

How do you 'power cycle'? I tried factory resetting, but didn't seem to work earlier. Do you think if I tried converting it to a pdf instead of epub in calibre it might help?

thanks, I'll see if any of this works when I get home.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes the show up when I open the drive in windows, in a folder with the author's name and two books. I've also tried copy and pasting the two books into the root drive manually
I guess that qualifies as a few books.

Quote:
Hey just two books. By disconnecting the Glo do you mean disconnecting the usb? I don't recall seeing a processing screen, does it say processing or just the circles filling up? I'm not at home so I'll have to try it when I get home.
From Calibre, click on drop down arrow on the Device icon and then click on "eject this device". After a short wait, you should get a black screen with Processing and a progress indicator bar. For two books, it may be too fast to really notice.

Quote:
How do you 'power cycle'? I tried factory resetting, but didn't seem to work earlier. Do you think if I tried converting it to a pdf instead of epub in calibre it might help?
Power cycle would be to hold the power switch until the screen says Powered Off and then wait a few seconds and turn the Glo back on. You might want to try grabbing a couple of epubs from Gutenberg and copying those to your Glo to see if they show up. I wouldn't recommend converting to pdf instead of epub, Kobo's ereaders are not the greatest pdf readers.

Quote:
thanks, I'll see if any of this works when I get home.
Good luck with this.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 10-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
wake_me

Thanks so much, I'll let you know if it works. One thing...if it works properly do the books show up when you to to your 'library' on the Glo, where now it says there are none and wants me to search their directory?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thanks so much, I'll let you know if it works. One thing...if it works properly do the books show up when you to to your 'library' on the Glo, where now it says there are none and wants me to search their directory?
The library view should show you all the books on your Glo. For books from Kobo's store you may also see books that indicate that they need to be downloaded.

On my Aura HD, when I tap library and then books, it shows me about 315 pages of books at 6 per page.

Regards,
David
Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yes they should.

Two questions for completeness: you are registering the device before you put the books on it? And when you say root directory you mean under no folder (i.e. NOT under the .kobo directory or something).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
wake_me

Hey just wanted to update and say thanks. I deleted the books and put one on at a time. The Glo showed it to be processing and the books appeared no problem.

One thing though...I downloaded a comic book but like a third of the bottom of the screen isnt being used and it makes the text hard to read. is there a way to make comic book files larger when viewing?

thanks again
Old 10-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Hey just wanted to update and say thanks. I deleted the books and put one on at a time. The Glo showed it to be processing and the books appeared no problem.

One thing though...I downloaded a comic book but like a third of the bottom of the screen isnt being used and it makes the text hard to read. is there a way to make comic book files larger when viewing?

thanks again
If it was a cbr/cbz comic book, my daughter has a collection of them I spent some time converting to epubs with svg wrappers for the graphics so they used as much of the page as possible. A pain the in posterior but the best solution I've found since they autoresize across Touch/Glo/Aura HD displays.

The images in one of the books were all 1280x1988 so a simple copy and paste and then change the image file name worked so each "chapter" file consists of the following:

Code:
<head>  
<style type="text/css">
@page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
</style>
</head>

<body>
  <div>
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 1280 1988" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image height="1988" width="1280" xlink:href="../Images/page_012.jpg"></image>
    </svg>
  </div>
You can dig out more information on what the various items in the wrapper if you are interested.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 10-06-2013 at 08:54 PM.