Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Thor's hammer may be a smith's hammer, not a weapon. See ancient Viking carvings, ornaments and Icelandic writing.
The TV / Comic / Cinema Asgard folk have very little in common with the sagas of the Vikings preserved in Iceland.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did like the guest of the week being the murderer in Columbo. I also liked that you saw how the murder was committed and who did it at the very beginning. What made the show different was that it was about how Columboi went about solving the murder.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Thor's hammer may be a smith's hammer, not a weapon. See ancient Viking carvings, ornaments and Icelandic writing.
The TV / Comic / Cinema Asgard folk have very little in common with the sagas of the Vikings preserved in Iceland.
Most of the images I've seen show a rather short handled sledge hammer design. Perfect for cracking goat bones to get the marrow out.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #49
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yes, of course--and as FJtorres said, indeed, Thor was often duped by Loki, but in Ragnarok, I just felt he was passively being duped, not actively by Loki. You'll see if you watch it.

And I personally prefer the old myths. I do have to admit to having had a mad little-girl crush on Marvel's Thor when I was about 8y.o., though! :-) He'd been introduced the year before, and yup, I was crazy for Thor. Ha! (I had to sneak comics into the house; my mother felt that they were dreck, and that we should be reading real books.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And I personally prefer the old myths. I do have to admit to having had a mad little-girl crush on Marvel's Thor when I was about 8y.o., though! :-) He'd been introduced the year before, and yup, I was crazy for Thor. Ha! (I had to sneak comics into the house; my mother felt that they were dreck, and that we should be reading real books.)

Hitch
Funny thing about fantasy: these days there is very little use of the classic mythologies.
Tolkien's shadow froze too much of the epic fantasy subgenre into quasi-medieval forms.

One thing the better THOR and WW runs did was mine the norse and greek myths for fun stories. I'd love to see more Olympian and Asgardian fantasies along the lines of Lester Del Rey's DAY OF THE GIANTS.
He got Loki and Thor right, too.

Anyway, back to the mystery tropes thing, Asimov's BLACK WIDOWERS bar trope could also use some modern mining. Maybe set in a cop bar or during a floating poker game, like on Castle.

Most genres have at a few classic tropes that could stand to be dusted off and reused. In SF, there's the road trip/triptych format. It used to be pretty common early last century but the last good ones I've run into are Harrison's DEATHWORLDs and Farmer's GREEN ODDYSEY.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
my mother felt that they were dreck, and that we should be reading real books.
Hitch
We had to read real books, mostly from the Library. USA comic imports stocked by few shops and way too expensive. About 1/2 the price of a kid's book.

Maybe she was right.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Funny thing about fantasy: these days there is very little use of the classic mythologies.
Tolkien's shadow froze too much of the epic fantasy subgenre into quasi-medieval forms.
Depends what authors you pick, though some of it like Rick Riordan are pretty light hearted. There is Stephan Lawhead, Joanne Harris, Mary Stewart, Ray McCarthy, Neil Gaiman, Michael Scott, Robert Holdstock, Derek Landy and loads of other Fantasy authors that while not making use of Greek, Roman, Norse, Celtic, Egyptian, Babylonian and Chinese certainly are not either stereotypical Medieval nor bad versions of Tolkien.

I'd not regard Greek mythology as at all being more important or in any way better than other accessible mythologies, the putting of Greek and to a lesser extent Latin on a pedestal is largely an artefact of the English Public School and the so called Classical Education that takes the Ancient Roman view that only the Greeks were cultured, the Keltoi were savages (one of the early famous Roman playwrights was a Celt from Northern Italy). The Greeks themselves had a more balanced view of the Celts (they extended as far as Northern Turkey), Phoenicians, Babylonians, Hittites and Egyptians. You'd want to take a lot that Julius Caesar wrote about North Africans, Keltoi (the Gauls was a Roman term for Celts) and the East Europeans that displaced Celts (e.g. Helvetii to Switzerland) with a bucket of salt!

Also I think the quasi-medieval stuff was more Warhammer / RPG driven? Tolkien mines ancient Celtic (elves = Sidhe), Scandinavian (Dwarves), Greek, Teutonic / Germanic etc (Rohan, Wargs). I'd only recognise the Hobbits as being purely his own invention.

Most Arthurian stuff *IS* medieval French and not much like the older Welsh and Cornish Celtic legends. Lancelot didn't exist. Guinevere was as much Fay as Morgan, who was no relation to Arthur. Avalon was the Isle of Apples, also in Irish Myth. Nothing to do with Glastonbury. The Morrigan is nothing to do with Arthur either or Morgan le Fay. Irish for Terror Queen, though mór in modern Irish is an unrelated word.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-21-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Arthurian
Old 02-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #53
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
It's quite possible for TV to be bad even in its golden age. It might just be as good as TV can get.-)
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I'd not regard Greek mythology as at all being more important or in any way better than other accessible mythologies,
I have several dozen books about the various world mythologies (most of which were cosmologies and religions rather than folk stories) but not all as well documented as the European mythologies. (Makes it hard for non-pros.) Most are even less used than greek, norse, and celtic myths. Japanese myths I've found a few nice fantasies in translation, though.

(And no, I don't count MOANA or anything else Disney-fied.)
Old 02-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #55
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

One thing I noticed from spending a lot of time in New Zealand was the way Māori mythic figures are used in official contexts, as with Te Ika a Māui (the fish of Māui) for the North Island; Te Matau a Māui (the hook of Māui, referencing the Māori 'genesis' story for the island) for the province of Hawke's Bay; Te Whare Tangaroa (the house of Tangaroa, god of the sea) for the national aquarium; and Ngāti Tūmatauenga (tribe of Tūmatauenga, god of war) for the army. And, of course, the widespread use of the name Moana, predating Disney by many decades.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
One thing I noticed from spending a lot of time in New Zealand was the way Māori mythic figures are used in official contexts, as with Te Ika a Māui (the fish of Māui) for the North Island; Te Matau a Māui (the hook of Māui, referencing the Māori 'genesis' story for the island) for the province of Hawke's Bay; Te Whare Tangaroa (the house of Tangaroa, god of the sea) for the national aquarium; and Ngāti Tūmatauenga (tribe of Tūmatauenga, god of war) for the army. And, of course, the widespread use of the name Moana, predating Disney by many decades.
Who bears little resemblance to what Disney peddled, right?
Old 02-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #57
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Who bears little resemblance to what Disney peddled, right?
Well, the Māui of Polynesian myth is definitely nothing like the cartoon version in the movie, and the only Moana I know personally is a man in his 70s, so again, not exactly the Disney's doppelgänger.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:44 AM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I have several dozen books about the various world mythologies (most of which were cosmologies and religions rather than folk stories) but not all as well documented as the European mythologies. (Makes it hard for non-pros.) Most are even less used than greek, norse, and celtic myths. Japanese myths I've found a few nice fantasies in translation, though.

Indeed I noted that we depend on the translations to English. I've watched some Chinese and Japanese films based on their legends (with subtitles, many in B&W). Some of which are accessible in English. Generally excellent compared to Disney syrup.

I'm against censorship, but I really wonder should there be a massive import duty everywhere outside the USA on the perverted and distorted Hollywood versions of history (Pocahontas) and myth/fairy (Anderson's Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Mulan, Braveheart, Moana, Aladdin and Norse). And also the related toys. Related, Lucas got $100M from Hasbro towards making the Phantom Menace. Also warnings on the package that it's only vaguely inspired by the original stories. I and wife missed Disney Sleeping Beauty as kids and found it an appalling "re-telling". The stupid fluttering three fairies. Deletion of the 100 years!
Old 02-22-2020, 06:10 AM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I'm against censorship, but I really wonder should there be a massive import duty everywhere outside the USA on the perverted and distorted Hollywood versions of history (Pocahontas) and myth/fairy (Anderson's Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Mulan, Braveheart, Moana, Aladdin and Norse). And also the related toys. Related, Lucas got $100M from Hasbro towards making the Phantom Menace. Also warnings on the package that it's only vaguely inspired by the original stories. I and wife missed Disney Sleeping Beauty as kids and found it an appalling "re-telling". The stupid fluttering three fairies. Deletion of the 100 years!
The best substitute for the kneejerk impulse to censor is education.
Especially with kids. Just warn them the Disney shows take place in a fuzzy wuzzy parallel world that bears no resemblance to reality. No need to introduce them to reality until they're old enough for the GRIMS or LANG. With appropriate guidance they can enjoy them as harmless fantasies and develop an eye for fun stories.

The challenge is to let kids be kids as long as possible and shield them from culture wars as long as possible. Harder and harder every day. Engagement is harder than blockade but it helps world-proof the kid.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-22-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #60
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
No need to introduce them to reality until they're old enough for the GRIMS ...

I've long thought it it mildly amusing that the brothers Grimm collected/collated stories whichwere indeed Grim. Pratchett played on the serendipitous similarity of spelling too, with The Sisters Grim (Agoniza and Eviscera) in his excellent homage to fairy stories, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents