Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Onyx on-screen keyboard handwriting (Languages)

After doing a factory reset on my Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro a week ago, I discovered that the Onyx on-screen keyboard was the default rather than Android keyboard. I was about to change it, until I spotted that the Onyx on-screen keyboard had a handwriting input!! So I tried it and its great its like having the AI feature on Notes app but I can use it wherever I like (Word, writing emails, Duolingo). Its a pretty neat feature I really love it. When I got my new Nova e-reader few days ago thats what I first changed on the device the keyboard (use Onyx keyborad instead of the Android one by going to Languages, setting the onyx keyboard as default). Both of my devices are running firmware 2.1.1.

Now what I cant figure out is how to switch between languages, so there is a toggle button on the on-screen Onyx keyboard but I can only switch between Chinese and English (which is my default language). I would ideally like the Toggle button to switch between English (UK) and German (Austria).

Has anyone figured out if its possible to toggle between languages without having to go all the way back to Settings? If not, then I might consider having a short cut on the Navigation ball.

I thought I would enquire in case someone has a solution. Many thanks!!

Last edited by Faeryink; 05-24-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Hadn't noticed that. I have now switched back to the Onyx keyboard as my default. Very handy feature that. And it seems to work quite well.

There does not currently seem to be a way to switch between languages other than English and Chinese. However, you may want to suggest such an option over on the Onyx BBS page. They seem to be taking comments and suggestions seriously.

http://bbs.onyx-international.com/
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
rafail
Enthusiast
rafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolate

Device: Onyx Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeryink View Post

Now what I cant figure out is how to switch between languages, so there is a toggle button on the on-screen Onyx keyboard but I can only switch between Chinese and English
On mine Onyx Note, by clicking on the toggle button it displays all languages and I can migrate between the downloaded languages. It works very well, almost perfect (99.9 percent) for my language (Romanian)

Thanks a lot for your post!
rafail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafail View Post
On mine Onyx Note, by clicking on the toggle button it displays all languages and I can migrate between the downloaded languages. It works very well, almost perfect (99.9 percent) for my language (Romanian)

In Settings, it seemed that it was only possible to switch between English and Chinese. However, you are quite right, it works for all downloaded languages. Just tried switching back and forth between English and Japanese on my Nova Pro. No problem at all.

When using the handwriting input mode on the Onyx keyboard, there is an icon which seems to represent the globe. When you select it, you can then choose whichever language pack you have downloaded for the keyboard. Works very well.

Last edited by Question Mark; 05-24-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:05 AM   #5
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

@rafail and @QuestionMark
Thanks for letting me know. A few hours after I posted the question, the Globe symbol was visible on the keyboard.. Mysterious.
I hope Onyx will offer this keyboard option in the next update. Its very useful indeed!!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
rafail
Enthusiast
rafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolate

Device: Onyx Note
However there is a malfunction: If I want to type with the virtual keyboard, I am permitted only with English and Chinese (I can not use the diacritics of roumainian laguage for example (ș,ț,â,î,ă)), and if I want to write by hand I'm allowed in all languages which have the AI package for handwriting recognition...
rafail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Faeryink
Zealot

Yes the toggle switch seems to only work for the AI option but not for typing as you have described it. Maybe the next firmware update in June, may fix this issue!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafail View Post
However there is a malfunction: If I want to type with the virtual keyboard, I am permitted only with English and Chinese (I can not use the diacritics of roumainian laguage for example (ș,ț,â,î,ă)), and if I want to write by hand I'm allowed in all languages which have the AI package for handwriting recognition...