Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian
shoelesshunter began at the beginning.

Device: KV
calibre only launches with sudo

I just installed Ubuntu 17.10 (Gnome). I installed Calibre from the apt repository, but calibre fails to launch unless I prefix the command with sudo.

I tried installing from the project's home page, and I get no results that way either. In the case of installing directly from the site, Calibre won't open at all. and I receive this output:

QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries

Any suggestions?
shoelesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Try updating 17.10? I use 16.04 and have no problems...

Uninstall and then do a binary install using the instructions here:

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

All (most?) libraries are included in the binary install. It's almost like those new fangled schnapps and what not...
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1740020 for the QGtkStyle error when using the official binaries.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian

Help me out, I am a noob. I installed the official binaries from the site. where do I set or unset environment variables?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First check that it is actually set, in a terminal run

env | grep CALIBRE
Advert
Old 04-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian

it is not set
Old 04-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Interesting, then I have no idea why Qt is trying to load the gtk style on your system. WHat is the error you get when you try to run the distro calibre without sudo?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian

it works. odd, but it's fixed. thanks for the help, and thanks for Calibre. it is amazing software

Tags
ubuntu