Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That sort of scam dates back to the old mail order days. Basically, if you can get a name and address, you set up an account and start buying things. In some cases, it's someone nearby, who can get the stuff off your porch before you get home. It's actually pretty easy to do, especially with online tracking. In other cases, you send it to a variety of addresses. Some of those people are paid to forward the package to someone out of country (actually a fairly common request for people who trying to get past export restrictions). It does seem a bit odd that they aren't ordering items that are more expensive, but the longer they stay under the radar, the longer the scam will hold.

Of course, the scam part is that they are likely using stolen credit card info to buy gift cards. The odd delivery is to avoid having the items traced back to them.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #32
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
If you do decide to email Jeff Bezos make sure you put something in the email subject that will get their attention. Maybe "I am receiving stolen merchandise from Amazon". I sent an email with the subject "Customer service refuses to give me the phone I ordered" and got quick results.

As others have said you probably shouldn't keep any of the packages from now on. If you keep returning items that account might be closed for making too many returns. At the least it may make Amazon pay more attention to the problem. They will have to pay for return shipping. They may look at your account and see it has the same address and close yours too, so returning might put you at risk as well.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #33
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If you do decide to email Jeff Bezos make sure you put something in the email subject that will get their attention. Maybe "I am receiving stolen merchandise from Amazon". I sent an email with the subject "Customer service refuses to give me the phone I ordered" and got quick results.

As others have said you probably shouldn't keep any of the packages from now on. If you keep returning items that account might be closed for making too many returns. At the least it may make Amazon pay more attention to the problem. They will have to pay for return shipping. They may look at your account and see it has the same address and close yours too, so returning might put you at risk as well.
I re-sent the email with your subject line. We'll see if that gets a response.

It's sort of a catch-22 with returning these items... does the action end up affecting me, too?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I re-sent the email with your subject line. We'll see if that gets a response.

It's sort of a catch-22 with returning these items... does the action end up affecting me, too?
It could. I've read of what Amazon calls linked accounts closed when one of the linked accounts is closed.

Just keep the items unopened and when this finally gets sorted, if Amazon wants them back, they can be sent back unopened. It will look better if you don't open them. Yes, you can open the packaging to see what the item is, but just don't open the item.

It would not look good to have everything ordered returned. You could end up with no account.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'd wait on returning. See what corporate says first.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #36
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They were all opened, packaging tossed, except for the grill mats (item #4). Hopefully sending a second email to Jeff might get a response. If not, ya'll can help me create the next subject lines!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #37
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you order a lot of stuff like I do, it's easy to open a package you shouldn't have received.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #38
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If you order a lot of stuff like I do, it's easy to open a package you shouldn't have received.
Exactly. Now if it was something more expensive I probably would've taken note sooner!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #39
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It could. I've read of what Amazon calls linked accounts closed when one of the linked accounts is closed.
I was just thinking about this. Even if Amazon's legal gets involved, you want to hope they don't also close your true account, treating you as somehow suspicious.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #40
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Apparently, gift cards are one of the first things bought with hacked credit cards. I was visiting my daughter in college. Went to a "crystal's store" and bought some junk, then I bought here a gift card at the book shop for summer school books, then we went to the grocery store, and my card was declined! Apparently thieves do a small purchase, and gift card purchase, then a larger purchase. So bank computers are alerted. I had to authorize my credit card for one state over. Seems ridiculous, but luckily I have never had a problem. Except with my taxes-luckily the IRS knows I never get a refund, so they didn't fall for it.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #41
copyrite
Wizard

Success!

Yesterday:

Hello,

I'm Mahesh from Amazon.com. Jeff Bezos received your email, and I'm responding on his behalf.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this situation has caused, I understand you'd like the accounts to be deleted.

We aren't sure how these accounts were created, but there are some orders in both these accounts which were placed to your shipping address, it is possible that someone you know or your household members created accounts and have been using them. I'd request you to contact them to know if they have started these accounts.

Further, due to security policies we will not be able to close the accounts until the request comes from that particular account, I hope you will understand our policies and co-operate.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
Mahesh. V

My reply:

Hello,

I don't understand why Amazon can't/won't do something about this other account with my name and address on it. It was not created by anyone I know - I've asked friends and family and they look at me in bemusement when I ask. This is IDENTITY THEFT, clear and simple. I'm not concerned really about the security of *my* Amazon account, but I am concerned how this issue of IDENTITY THEFT might unduly affect the integrity of my Amazon account. I've been an Amazon customer since 2004 and am heavily invested in Amazon products including several Kindles and several Echo devices, and many many other products. I don't want to lose the ability to access my Kindle library nor be unable to purchase items on Amazon because someone has attempted to use my identity for probably nefarious purposes on Amazon!

Thank you for your time,

Today:

My name is Hitendra singh, and I’m a member of the Amazon Account Services Team. Jeff Bezos received your email and I am responding on his behalf.

Thank you for letting us know that a unauthorized party is using your credentials, We have taken appropriate action on the account.

We do not know how this person got your information because that happened away from our websites. To learn more about safe online shopping, visit the "Security & Privacy" section of our Help pages.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation with our security measures.

Best regards,
Hitendra Singh
Old 08-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #42
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I received the same reply when someone illegally transferred my gift card balance to themselves. They make it seem it was my fault this happened when it was their's.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #43
copyrite
Wizard

Amazon definitely needs more security measures in place when accounts are created.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Unfortunately on the dark net all our information is for sale if we were part of a company that was hack. I've lost count all the places this has happened. Target, Wendy's, Home Depot, Some government computer with my military health information, Adobe....etc. It can happen to anyone.

We must stay vigilant and take action if necessary. Copyrite did the right thing she made an effort to stopped it. Anyone ever comes knocking on her door she has evidence she did everything to show she herself was not involved and tried to end it.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #45
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Glad you got a good response this time.

The second response said "Thank you for letting us know that a unauthorized party is using your credentials, We have taken appropriate action on the account.". I don't know how you phrased your original query, but I guess for this problem you need to tell them someone is using your credentials and don't ask them to close the account. I'm sure there have been people trying to get someone's account closed after they broke up with them or other reasons, so they have to be careful when a third party requests to close an account that isn't theirs.