Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Exporting books from Amazon to Calibre / non Kindle devices/PC

I have some books in my Amazon account that I would like to read on something else besides the default Kindle Cloud Reader.

Manage Your Content and Devicesm -> Your Devices
only shows Begemot's Kindle Cloud Reader

Manage Your Content and Devices -> Your Content -> select book -> Actions -> in Download & transfer via USB

"You have selected content that is not compatible with any of your registered devices. Please remove incompatible content from selection for eligible devices to appear."

So I need to add another device,

I have:
  • Ipad Air
  • Kobo H20
  • Sony DPT-S1 (my favorite, but I know I will need to convert to pdf first)
  • Kobo Mini
  • iRiver HD
  • Kindle DX (flashed via serial port, unregistered store Demo version)
  • Nook HD somewhere under cushions

What are my options?

Worst case I have to buy the cheapest Kindle I can find and register it?
Then transfer those books from the Kindle into Calibre?
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You may be able to register your DX by calling Amazon customer service and giving them the serial number. I'm not sure this will work as they may know it to be a demo unit, but it is worth a try. That will enable the USB download option from the Amazon website.

You can read in the Kindle for iOS and Android apps, but you can't access the files outside of those apps or use the USB download option for them.

For now you can use Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac if you can get access to a PC or Mac. It involves installing an outdated software version that is still available from Amazon if you know where to look. That option will likely be going away soon.

Or as you wrote, pick up a cheap, used e-ink Kindle. (It won't work with a Fire tablet.)

---

Oh, and look for "Apprentice Alf's Blog" on the web for information on how you can remove DRM from the downloaded files to make them useful. They also have more info on using the Kindle for PC/Mac option.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
amazon, calibre, cloud reader, exporting, kindle