Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
myracleboi
myracleboi began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Social ebook reader 6" eink

Hello.

I am looking for new ebook reader.

This is what is important to me:

* screen, 6" or better
* excellent battery life
* fast page turns
* ability to read ePub, PDF (also with DRM)
* Support for hyperlinks including Table of Contents
* PDF Zoom (not just font selection)
* PDF reflow would be nice
* WiFi + web browser
* social connecting (ideally connection to goodreads.com)
* english dictionary

less important:
* PDF annotations + note taking
* extensible storage such as SD or microSD card

Querty keyboard would be better than touch screen...

Is there ebook reader that supports goodread.com? As far as I know, Sony readers have support but it is only from PC from Sony software not ebook reader (because of WIFI lack)

Amazon Kindle 3 supports only facebook or twitter (no goodreads support)...

Thanx for advices

Last edited by myracleboi; 04-17-2011 at 03:40 AM.
myracleboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myracleboi View Post
You can access goodreads.com by entering the entire URL <http://www.goodreads.com> into the browser (listed under "Experimental" in the Menu). Yes, it's a pain, but you only have to do it once, and then you can bookmark to page for easy navigation to it next time.

I had no problem just now when I attempted to access GoodReads from my K3.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, you can use any web site you wish with the Kindle's web browser.

However, given that it doesn't support ePub, that's irrelevant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you can use any web site you wish with the Kindle's web browser.

However, given that it doesn't support ePub, that's irrelevant.
True, the Kindle doesn't support ePub. Which also knocks out a lot of library books, if you're interested in that aspect.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-18-2011 at 05:58 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What about the Sony PRS-950? It has wifi, epub support, PDF zoom and reflow, 2 weeks battery ife on stand-by and a month on turn off between reading sessions, 12 dictionaries, 7" screen. It has everything asked for.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
myracleboi
myracleboi began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I have decided! Amazon Kindle 3 wins. goodreads.com can be sync with it http://www.goodreads.com/user/kindle_settings and also it has support for facebook and twitter... Everything I need. I will use Calibre for converting ePub books to mobi or prc :-)
Thanks budies
myracleboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Quote:
I have decided! Amazon Kindle 3 wins. goodreads.com can be sync with it http://www.goodreads.com/user/kindle_settings and also it has support for facebook and twitter... Everything I need. I will use Calibre for converting ePub books to mobi or prc :-)
Thanks budies
Thanks for the link
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx Boox / Bebook Neo
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks budies
I thought you said that the ability to read ePub books was essential to you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Maybe he's won knowledge which can't be disclosed.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote