Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
SSL Error Connecting on Mac OSX

I've had a couple different FanFicFare users report that they're getting an SSLV3_ALERT_HANDSHAKE_FAILURE error when connecting to the site forums.sufficientvelocity.com. on Mac OSX. I don't see the problem on Windows.

My research suggests that this is likely caused by the SSL library not correctly switching to TLS from SSLv3 (or possibly not using Server Name Indication (SNI)?)

Python 2.7.9 or newer should work from what I've read. On Windows, Calibre is using 2.7.9 already.

Does Calibre carry it's own SSL libraries? Or does it depend on the installed OS libraries? I don't think that this is something that can be addressed in the plugin.

FanFicFare Mail List discussion (hijacked subject, SSL problem starts at Jan 21).

FanFicFare Forum discussion.

I believe that running this from command line should test the problem without needing to install FanFicFare:

Code:
calibre-debug -c "import urllib2 as u2 ; opener = u2.build_opener() ; opener.addheaders = [('User-Agent', '')] ; print opener.open('https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com').read()[:200]"
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On OS X calibre uses the system openssl libraries. IIRC Apple ships fairly outdated openssl libraries. It is on my TODO list to build the OS X version of calibre with a bundled openssl.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I spent some time looking into this, and if I build calibre with a private copy of openssl on OS X, then I will also need to provide my own set of root certificates, because Apple does not provide access to its OS certificates, except through a private, undocumented API.

See https://bugs.python.org/issue17128 for details.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's inconsiderate of them...

I don't know much about it, but I've read of people updating their OpenSSL on OS X using homebrew?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The problem is not building openssl, the problem is providing access to some database of root certificates for the custom built openssl. homebrew includes a script that exports the apple certificates into a form useable by openssl. That solution is a horrible hack -- for obvious reasons.

I am looking into bundling the mozilla root certificate db with calibre for use on OS X. This is less than ideal, it means that the root cert store can get out of date unless the user updates calibre and the user cannot use the system keychain to manage the root certificates calibre uses -- but such is the price of using Appleware.
Advert
Old 01-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There you go: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...15f6f329f2f349
Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Many thanks! I really appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No biggie, like I said it was on my TODO list anyway, since I suspect Apple are going to remove openssl from OS X completely at some point.