Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #121
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
ah! cool edited my post! In case someone starts sueing me over it >

NiLuJe thanks! See elsewhere on this subforum for me praising you even more

mntroot rw
passwd
new password; need to type it 2 times.
mntroot ro

OH question: do I need to "mntroot ro" everytime I quit ssh? Or is it "safe" to leave it rewitable? (safe as in it not botching things up when I use my kindle and/or safe as in others being able to access it)

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-21-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #122
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd advise against leaving the rootfs in a rw state, yeah, you never know what might happen .

But you should almost never ever need to switch it to a rw state in the first place, anyway...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #123
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
Could someone explain how to remove a certain folder from the root of my Kindle 3 using USB Networking? Instructions need to be relatively simple - programing is not my area of expertise!
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #124
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd advise against leaving the rootfs in a rw state, yeah, you never know what might happen .

But you should almost never ever need to switch it to a rw state in the first place, anyway...
safety 1st. I agree. But my mind sometimes tends to forget the important instructions and to keep focussing on anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
Could someone explain how to remove a certain folder from the root of my Kindle 3 using USB Networking? Instructions need to be relatively simple - programing is not my area of expertise!

1. set the system to write:
mntroot rw

2. go to the directory that has the file.
cd {directory}
(change {directory} to what you need).

3a. remove the file you need with
rm {filename}
change {filename} to what you need.

OR

3b. if you want to be a bit more safe make a backup with:
mv {filename} {filename}.backup

4. set systeem to read only:
mntroot ro

5. and exit with:
exit

Just a friendly warning though...

Just make sure you think before you press enter when using mv and rm commands.
That includes to wait for someone to confirm that what I typed is correct (ie. never trust someone on his blue eyes when telling you to rm something and always wait for a confirmation).
Because... NO ONE takes any responsibility for any of the commands and if something gets broken it is on you

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-21-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #125
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't need to switch to rwfs to access /mnt/us (the userstore) or /var/local

(ie. in your case, Stonecold, just
mv /mnt/us/usbnet/auto /mnt/us/usbnet/DISABLED_auto
)
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #126
disi
disi began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
Linux/Ubuntu:

I took steps up to 7 and when disi! spoke about windows I started to investigate myself. I did the following (maybe someone could tell me if I did some unnecesary steps!!):

sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.2

You can check the result with:

lsusb | grep RNDIS

This should show something like:
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 0525:a4a2 Netchip Technology, Inc. Linux-USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

Now you should be able to ping your kindle with:

ping 192.168.2.2

and ...
telnet 192.168.2.2 now gives me...

Trying 192.168.2.2...
Connected to 192.168.2.2.
Escape character is '^]'.

Welcome to Kindle!

#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# uname -a
Linux kindle 2.6.26-rt-lab126 #5 Wed Sep 15 19:25:13 PDT 2010 armv6l unknown
[root@kindle root]#

disi! Your steps and my knowledge on Ubuntu got me into my kindle *O*
Sounds really good. I have dualboot and tried to connect the kindle on my Gentoo installation, but gave up after a while :/
Seems Ubuntu has some quirks to automatically configure the usb port

(I do not use hald, I guess that's the main problem with Gentoo)
disi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #127
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Code:
cat /etc/gentoo-release
Gentoo Base System release 2.0.1
You're obviously missing something.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #128
Hydron
Hydron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
just a quick question (and also my first post here, though i have been doing a bit of lurking), is there any disadvantage to changing the root password? i.e. is it set to whatever it is for a good reason, like for updates?
I have ssh going via public/private keys, which i normally use between machines anyway, but I'd like to know the password, and running the shadow file through a cracker did not find anything (its obviously too long for brute force cracking).
Hydron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #129
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Can't think of anything relying on the password being untouched, AFAIK, but given that I use shared keys, I really can't think of a good reason to change it either .
Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #130
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3, KT, KPW, KPW2, KV, KOA
3.0.3 kills the test files

After the upgrade to fw 3.0.3 the fabled factory test files have disappeared. Of course the files can be put back - and everything works again, the Java components are compatible - but maybe some of you wanted to know this.
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #131
kosend
kosend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hm...
copied /test folder to my kindle
reboot it
;debugOn
~exec is not working,
~usbNetwork do nothing...

whats wrong?
kosend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #132
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosend View Post
Hm...
copied /test folder to my kindle
reboot it
;debugOn
~exec is not working,
~usbNetwork do nothing...

whats wrong?
Check if you have the file /test/ebook/lib/testtools.jar
Check the file /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh for the line: testlibdir=/test/ebook/lib

If both are fine then it should work.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #133
kosend
kosend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecostin View Post
Check the file /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh for the line: testlibdir=/test/ebook/lib
If both are fine then it should work.
How can I put it there? I rely on I only neet to put /test while connecting device via usb
kosend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #134
ecostin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosend View Post
How can I put it there? I rely on I only neet to put /test while connecting device via usb
If you plant the files on the exported USB drive, then it won't work; you need to place them in the root directory. First you need to jailbreak, get a shell, mount the root read-write, copy the files, mount read-only, reboot. You could ask someone here for step-by-step instructions, but nevertheless you should start by jailbreaking the device (plenty of help available on this topic).
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #135
mockingbird
mockingbird began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Great find (about the ~exec command). Obviously a stupid bug, left-over from firmware debugging. Crrrrrazy stuff! A simple jailbreak script (jb_install.sh) will be something like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export PATH=/usr/sbin:${PATH}

_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}

mntroot rw

#install key
cat <<EOF > /etc/uks/pubhackkey01.pem
-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----
MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDJn1jWU+xxVv/eRKfCPR9e47lP
WN2rH33z9QbfnqmCxBRLP6mMjGy6APyycQXg3nPi5fcb75alZo+Oh012HpMe9Lnp
eEgloIdm1E4LOsyrz4kttQtGRlzCErmBGt6+cAVEV86y2phOJ3mLk0Ek9UQXbIUf
rvyJnS2MKLG2cczjlQIDAQAB
-----END PUBLIC KEY-----
EOF

mntroot ro
And that's all of it!

The instructions:
1) Copy jb_install.sh into kindle's main storage
2) ;debugOn
3) ~exec /mnt/us/jb_install.sh
4) No reboot needed
is it possible to make a script that could reset kindle 3 to factory settings? i can't access my settings page where resetting to factory settings could easily be done. my ~exec command works so maybe you could help me reset my kindle using a script?
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote