Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #31
klark
klark began at the beginning.

thanks for the photo. that is amazing, helps a lot.
klark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #32
klark
klark began at the beginning.

it would be absolutely great if someone could post a "real" picture of the sony reader displaying my pdf. i would really appreciate that, because it helps me lot for finding out which reader i should buy.

cheers,
klark
klark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #33
alanrodan
alanrodan began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800
Fbreader with N800

DEAR LIVIU_5:

I have recently got a N800, & I am using it for the time being more as a combination of Mobile IPhone/SkypeOut and in order to read the news or my emails on Gmail. I'd rather use it as a E-Book reader too, as you seem to do, but I have problems to understand how the FBreader actually works.

I have downloaded & installed the FBREADER from maemo.org, but it does not automatically find the .txt file, which I downloded on a separate card of 8Giga.
I understand that the txt file should be somehow placed (?) on a string of the books saved, but how does it work?
Any suggestions could help.

I would appreciate your reply at:

alan.rodan@gmail.com

regards,

Alan Rodan
PS: I was born in Romania, and your first name Liviu makes me think/hope you speak Romanian. If so, I would be delighted to get your reply in Romanian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I use Nokia 770 exclusively as an ebook reader (with Fbreader) and I think the 800 version is tilted towards improving the Net experience so it does not tempt me.

I like my Ebk1150 but I really love my Nokia, I take it everywhere with me and the reading experience is really beautiful (as with all software e.g. Adobe, MsLit, uBook, that allows it, I use yellow text on black background).

Fbreader can read unencrypted mobi say from Fictionwise, opf (the output of conversion from MsLit), and txt/rtf/html, lots of character sets, also zipped or tar, though not rar, so using zipped files you increase considerably your storage (have rs-mmc 1Gb, not sure if 2Gb works).

The downsides are navigation which is ok but unpaginated just with an indicator bar, and fragility, so for rereads, short story colections, Eb1150 is better. At home I split my reading between the two, overall I estimate I use Nokia 65%, Ebk 35% for my ereading (hard to count but in 2006 I estimate more than 100 new novels or equivalent in short story colections/magazines and about similar rereads in eform)
alanrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrodan View Post
I have downloaded & installed the FBREADER from maemo.org, but it does not automatically find the .txt file, which I downloded on a separate card of 8Giga.
FBReader will automatically add e-books to your library if a) they are in an e-book format with enough metadata (e.g. author, title, etcetera) and b) they are in a directory listed in your book path. A plain text file obviously has no metadata, so you have to add such books manually. Select the 3rd panel icon (BOOK+), navigate through directories (under Linux, ".." does down towards the filesystem root) until you locate your e-book (it might be in /media/mmc1/Books or /media/mmc2/Books for example), select it and fill in the form. I have an example near the bottom of Visual Tour of FBReader on a Pepper Pad 3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #35
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrodan View Post
DEAR LIVIU_5:

I have recently got a N800, & I am using it for the time being more as a combination of Mobile IPhone/SkypeOut and in order to read the news or my emails on Gmail. I'd rather use it as a E-Book reader too, as you seem to do, but I have problems to understand how the FBreader actually works.

I understand that the txt file should be somehow placed (?) on a string of the books saved, but how does it work?
Any suggestions could help.
Sent a reply at the email address too. The books are on /media/mmc1, or possible mmc2. Go to the root directory clicking up, up from the original add path of Fbreader and then find /media and you will see your card and then the book. Once you open the book you gotta set your language (for English usually West European/windows 1252 is best, for Romanian East European/Romanian will do)

There are many customizations possible for Fbreader, experiment with fonts, colors, keys assignments to find your favorite and you will enjoy it a lot.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #36
kingjimmi
kingjimmi began at the beginning.

Nokia N800 now selling for $243 at Buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/nokia-n800-i...204055141.html
kingjimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #37
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
For those of you using a Nokia Internet Tablet with FBReader, there's loads of books available in epub format on Feedbooks that you can use with the new FBReader support for epub files: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	6052  
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #38
grommit
grommit began at the beginning.

Device: linrie
My N800 mucks up .pdf's and is way to slow too load big ones. I'm sure you could jump through all the hoops to get a file formatted specifically for the device, but I'd love to just find a .pdf on the web and read it directly without all the rigamarole.

I also tried a tc1000 tablet, but with battery in, it weighs way too much and gets very hot.

As long as I'm listing them....

I tried a Librie, but can't really read .pdf's on a single page. I didn't get a Sony 500 because it didn't improve much.

I actually tried using a Westinghouse 800x600 digital photo frame, which weighs next to nothing and has slots for every flash card imaginable, but the page-to-page image transitions limit the usability. A firmware rewrite to make it less photo centric might help. (It wants to do a clever dissolve for every image change, and deliberately stretches it out several seconds.)

I've also tried and failed with a Viewsonic 1100 tablet, a DT375 pad (mangles .pdf's and the WinCE reader will not be updated beyond the built-in version.) I'm staring at one that locked-up just reading a .pdf right now.
grommit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Problem is that PDFs are mostly formatted to be printed on a standard piece of paper at 8.5"x11". And a lot of these portable devices have screen that are too small to really properly display them. So while you are going through hoops trying to find a device to display them, you aren't taking into account that they are all wrong for your portable device.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #40
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The iLiad really does a nice job with PDFs. You have several different zoom and pan options, with more on the way from the community developers. Plus you can use the stylus to make notes on them. It's the primary reason I bought one (I'm a grad student and I have a lot of PDFs to read.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #41
Schweik
Schweik began at the beginning.

Device: SONY 500
Dear Liviu_5: please help me. I have Sony 500, but miss direct connection to the Web. I live in the USA for 35 yrs but am originally fr Russia and still am interested in the news and politics there. If I buy N770 or N800 and go to russian site like www.fictionbook.ru will I be able to read russian text? Can you please check this for me? Many thanks in advance. You can answer me either here or thru email: gashek2@hotmail.com

Old soldier Schweik.
Schweik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #42
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweik View Post
Dear Liviu_5: please help me. I have Sony 500, but miss direct connection to the Web. I live in the USA for 35 yrs but am originally fr Russia and still am interested in the news and politics there. If I buy N770 or N800 and go to russian site like www.fictionbook.ru will I be able to read russian text? Can you please check this for me? Many thanks in advance. You can answer me either here or thru email: gashek2@hotmail.com

Old soldier Schweik.
Definitely you can read Russian; the Fbreader creator is Russian after all
When you open the book in Fbreader, you choose the appropriate encoding (East European - then there are 4 Cyrilic options - see which works for you - may differ depending on the book, but one or more will definitely work - you even have Russian line breaking so it will hyphenate for you too)
Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #43
GimpyLaz
GimpyLaz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
From the FBReader site:

Hope that helps.
I've installed FBRead, but it doesn't seem to recognize the zip format. How can I get it to use these files? Also, I've got a tremendous collection of ebooks on my computer. How can I connect to it with the N800, so as to be able to access those books?

Laz
GimpyLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #44
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyLaz View Post
I've installed FBRead, but it doesn't seem to recognize the zip format. How can I get it to use these files? Also, I've got a tremendous collection of ebooks on my computer. How can I connect to it with the N800, so as to be able to access those books?

Laz
Fbreader reads from inside zip files, so what it matters is what kind of file is zipped. It reads from tar and gz archives too, though NOT from rar archives (there was a lengthy discussion on the Fbreader Google group about that)

To get books from the Pc, just use the USB cable though with all applications on the Nokia closed (especially Fbreader); or (less recommended) take out the storage card and plug it in directly; of course if you have the ebooks in a place that can be accessed wirelessly, you can download directly.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #45
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader's file manager will only show files in formats that it supports. So if your e-books don't show up in the file manager (add e-book icon) the chances are that they are in a unsupported format (FBReader does not care that they are zip files, only the format of the contents of the zip matters). What is in your zip files?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote