Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Higher level grayscale, lower contrast?

Since some users reported that the Hanlin v5 is less contrasty than the v3, I suspect that with higher level grayscale (8 to 16) the screen contrast would be sacrificed a bit? I've laid eyes on a Kindle 2 before and I noticed that the screen contrast was not as good as my v3. What do you guys think?
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestor View Post
Since some users reported that the Hanlin v5 is less contrasty than the v3, I suspect that with higher level grayscale (8 to 16) the screen contrast would be sacrificed a bit? I've laid eyes on a Kindle 2 before and I noticed that the screen contrast was not as good as my v3. What do you guys think?
I do not think it is inherent in the format but some fonts seem not as dark depending on how the font was defined, such as reserving the darkest color for bold. People have been able to pick different fonts for the V5 to improve the contrast and this problem has been forwarded to Jinke for resolution. I personally showed a comparison of the darkness to Jinke at the CES show.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestor View Post
Hello,

I've to check and compare that, too.

This was my opinion and personal experience from a lot of time ago, since I had my Sony PRS-505. People have explained many times, both visually and technically, that this is not.. but my opinion remains.

E-Ink screens with more grey levels, have a darker brackground and different contrast than those older and only 4 gray-levels (like Hanlin V3), and for reading, older are better (more black/white difference). This is clear for me after a single look. We must don't take in account the different and protective or touch layers; this results in same readers and E-Ink screens in totally different results... curiously, this results in more cheap and less quality build ereaders (like, we must say, Jinke ones, that have other advantages, but not build quality or design) to show and read better.

I don't have V5 or V3+ to compare, but hope I can do it in future.

Best regards.

Last edited by jotas; 03-29-2010 at 12:12 PM.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I do not think it is inherent in the format but some fonts seem not as dark depending on how the font was defined, such as reserving the darkest color for bold. People have been able to pick different fonts for the V5 to improve the contrast and this problem has been forwarded to Jinke for resolution. I personally showed a comparison of the darkness to Jinke at the CES show.

Dale
Hello,

All V5, V3+, as well as coming new firmwares for V3, using 'new SDK' and 'new kernel" use a different font rendering library and show very different and poor over screen, comparing with previous 'old SDK', 'old kernel', 'old font library' on-screen font-rendering. This, as well as the missing keystrokes have been two, among some more others, serious problems for 'new firmwares' since first released and test versions months ago... hope all of this will be fixed for just coming new versions from Jinke and later "official" for all related-brands.

Other than that, yes, have more gray levels, and can render using more and different dithering levels, this is great for pictures and books containing photos and graphics (mainly, those using .pdf and/or ADE), but, for fonts and formats handled by CoolReader... I prefer stay and read using older SDK and firmware, even if somewhat slower.

Best regards.

Last edited by jotas; 03-29-2010 at 12:54 PM.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
I have both the Hanlin V3 and the Hanlin V5, and am using the latest Lbook firmware on both of them. IMHO, the font rendering gives blacker blacks on the V3 as compared to V5. There is definitely a lot of variability between different font families, but I used LBOOKN as the font to compare between the V3 and the V5. They are both eminently readable, but I prefer the V3 for better font rendering on my two devices.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I'm curious to see the old font rendering on a V5 if I can. How can I identify what the old sdk/kernel was?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
I'm curious to see the old font rendering on a V5 if I can. How can I identify what the old sdk/kernel was?
I'd be interested to know this too. Since the PocketPro was released the kernel has been at 2.6.21.7 constantly all the way through including the latest firmware. Perhaps people have noticed this change with kernel version updates with the V3 (a device that has been around for what, 3 years now?)
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Probably the change was a bytecode interpreter being turned on or off. The only way to tell would be to use a computer to view some fonts with the freetype bytecode interpreter turned on, and again with it off. Then compare to the device to see what it looks like.

Oddly, and I'm not sure if this is specific to the firmware, pdf or whatever, but a pdf I am reading right now the font is Droid Serif not Times. I wonder if people think a different font is a change in rendering.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote