Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The 5" E-ink screen is 200 ppi, not 167 ppi.
Thank you! I will correct my notes.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No info, but not having a frontlight would be a dumb idea.
So, Nate, time frame of release? Who are they selling it to? What can you share?

(Crossing fingers it's a lighted Kobo Mini...)

P.S. Nate, did you blog about this screen yet?

Last edited by booklover6; 03-30-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
In France it's more and more difficult to find a Mini. It depends on the FNAC closer to one's place and how many units it has in stock.
The place I shop hasn't had a Mini in stock/on display for months. The Minis were discounted in January and July last year. This must have sold the remaining ones.
Right now in that store, there aren't many Glos (maybe a dozen), probably even less Touches. The Auras and Auras HD seem to be selling at a good pace, maybe the Auras more than the HD but I can't be sure.

This seems a little early to clear the shelves for the September/October release, doesn't it? Does that mean that something else is coming soon? Or just that those products aren't big hits and the store prefer to stock on other products?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Cheapest ereader sold by every company is often on sale seemingly as lost leader to increase book sales. Kobo Mini is great reader that I would miss if newer replacement model isn't available.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
So, Nate, time frame of release? Who are they selling it to? What can you share?

(Crossing fingers it's a lighted Kobo Mini...)

P.S. Nate, did you blog about this screen yet?
No idea about launch date.

I was saving the detail about the new screen until I had reason to write a story about the Mini. This is the very first time I mentioned it in public.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #21
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I would love to know the release date for this!

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I hope we know something by this summer. I want one! Kobos are great!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #23
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm sure if anything is to come of that new 5" screen you'll see something in coming months. Just watch for info about other company's readers prior to Kobo's normal release periods and if there is a hint of sufficient competition debuting someone will leak something if a product is planned.

Anyone noticed how much "leaked" about the new HTC ONE M8 prior to it's release? Apple leaving phones on bars prior to release... What's better than the most expensive of advertising campaigns? Free publicity! Well managed and orchestrated leaks may become a new higher calling than typical advertising.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-30-2014 at 10:35 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 AM   #24
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
I'm afraid that 5 inch eReaders are too much of a niche in the eyes of the manufacturers - looking at Smartphones, big screens seem to sell better too and no one seems to care if such a phone still fits comfortably into his pocket. (Not to mention the increased danger of breaking the screen and the ugly bump in the trousers (well, some might consider this a symbol of xxx to impress yyy)...)

I switched from a 6 inch eReader to the Mini exactly because of portability and never regretted it. I don't need a bag anymore to carry it - it just fits into my jacket when I"m out for lunch. And thanks to koreader, it is still possible to read PDF files in landscape or reflow mode, but this is not my main use case...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I love the size of the Mini. I've taken to using it without a case. I just put it in a cut off bubble envelope in my purse.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Mini is just convenient and it is the reader that I take to work everyday. I would love to see an update and would hate to see it discontinued. Say it ain't so Kobo!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #27
alanthehat
alanthehat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Mini, CoolReader & Kindle on Android, etc
I really hope they continue with the Mini because it is such a joy.
It isn't as good in use as my Kindle Keyboard, but it fits in my pocket, it's tough enough to survive my pocket, it's battery lasts longer & it was so much cheaper!
I charge them both at the same time (when the Kobo needs it) & despite 2-3 hours minimum use per day of the Kobo & none of the Kindle the Kindle always has a flat battery.
I was on the 3rd Kindle at the same age as this Kobo is now & there's no sign of a fault yet on the Kobo.
And, joy of all joys, it's right there in my pocket whenever I've got time to read.

Please Kobo, keep supplying this really useful device!
alanthehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:50 AM   #28
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I would love to see an update and would hate to see it discontinued.
I couldn't say it better.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #29
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I contribute "it's tough enough to survive my pocket" to Mini using screws to hold inner back to front half of reader in addition to normal plastic clips makes for more rigid reader a little better resisting torsional damage to screen.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote