Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #31
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Glad you found something that works for you, but I do find it humorous that your solution is essentially to download the book that you are going to read to your device, when you specifically said that was what you wanted to avoid.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #32
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
OK...
I read partially through the thread, and because you spoke as if wifi is everywhere available (and probably it is... everywhere when you need access), I started talking about our tour last summer through the South-Western states of the US (a beautiful holiday, that is), when I couldn't get internet-acces for days in a row, despite having chosen hotels that offered wifi...

But since that wasn't related to your question, I found it more appropriate to delete that post...
It was a little bit of a system shock when we took a vacation in Yellowstone National Park. Not only was there no Wifi, there was no cell-phone reception even, and I ended up having to make a call from a pay phone.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Glad you found something that works for you, but I do find it humorous that your solution is essentially to download the book that you are going to read to your device, when you specifically said that was what you wanted to avoid.
Exactly.

And exactly the point of what those he is objecting to posting said.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #34
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
My solution was essentially the same as the one I was looking for. As it has been stated, when you read online the file is still downloaded into a cache file. The difference is the whole library is not on the device, but is still accessible and organized AND the cache file is regularly cleaned out via the cloud service and by my settings.

What most people were saying wasn't 'in extremely remote and undeveloped areas there is little connectivity' it was 'connectivity in general is tentative, so to rely on it for anything is stupid.' My contention was that not only is connectivity nearly universal, but it is also commonly used by folks for other services such as Netflix and Pandora, so what's so off about using it for books as well? By your reasoning kennyc, since cell phone service is not universally available every where then relying on cell phones for communication purposes is foolish. I could make the same argument about electricity, TV service, and any form of connectivity that relies on networking or infrastructures that can fail or that is not available on every corner of the Earth.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 11-30-2012 at 11:54 AM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #35
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
What most people were saying wasn't 'in extremely remote and undeveloped areas there is little connectivity' it was 'connectivity in general is tentative, so to rely on it for anything is stupid.' My contention was that not only is connectivity nearly universal, but it is also commonly used by folks for other services such as Netflix and Pandora, so what's so off about using it for books as well? By your reasoning kennyc, since cell phone service is not universally available every where then relying on cell phones for communication purposes is foolish. I could make the same argument about electricity, TV service, and any form of connectivity that relies on networking or infrastructures that can fail or that is not available on every corner of the Earth.
Since you brought this up again, I have to say that the bolded part is very true. I live in northern CT, not exactly the ends of the earth, and I can say that here, at least, relying on cell phones as your communication source is foolish. I don't have reliable cell service at my house, and unless they live in the center of town, neither do most of the other people in my town. Please don't assume that everybody lives in an area that has good connectivity, as there are many more areas of the world that don't have it than that do. It makes you sound very arrogant and elitist to assume that if a place doesn't have reliable cell phone coverage it isn't civilized.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
My solution was essentially the same as the one I was looking for. As it has been stated, when you read online the file is still downloaded into a cache file. The difference is the whole library is not on the device, but is still accessible and organized AND the cache file is regularly cleaned out via the cloud service and by my settings.

Make whatever argument or make up whatever rationale you want. No problem for me, I stick by what I've said in previous posts. (which btw is not what you've made up and attributed to me above.)

Last edited by kennyc; 11-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #37
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Book files are relatively small (unless picture books). So it really doesn't make sense to insist on reading them on-line. Just download to your phone or tablet or ereader. Much more sensible.
This is what I said, and I'm pleased to know that this is the solution you ended up with.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #38
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Since you brought this up again, I have to say that the bolded part is very true. I live in northern CT, not exactly the ends of the earth, and I can say that here, at least, relying on cell phones as your communication source is foolish. I don't have reliable cell service at my house, and unless they live in the center of town, neither do most of the other people in my town. Please don't assume that everybody lives in an area that has good connectivity, as there are many more areas of the world that don't have it than that do. It makes you sound very arrogant and elitist to assume that if a place doesn't have reliable cell phone coverage it isn't civilized.

Shari
And yet, I am willing to bet that you do not belittle people for seeking out answers to issues involving cell phones. My issue is that several folks have attacked me for wanting to stream my ebooks using a cloud service. The question I asked was about what services were better than the ones that I knew of to do this. Their posts were along the lines of saying that I was ignorant for wanting to do this at all.

I said that reliable network service is not everywhere, but that it is in nearly everywhere. I have pointed out that even in India, East Temur, and Nigeria network service is available. I have also said that, like electricity, network service is still not universal and even though electricity is not everywhere, few people would object to solutions utilizing electricity.

Kennyc, you are correct. I misrepresented your counter argument to my views. I sort of got a little caught up in defending myself and accidentally struck out at you for a wrong reason. I apologize for that. I don't agree with what you have said, but you have been kind enough to drop the matter as a sort of agree to disagree situation. Sometimes it is easy to lash out at everyone when you feel cornered, but that's not really a good excuse.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 11-30-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #39
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
@jabberwock: Out of interest, what is it that puts you off using Amazons service and email your books to their archive? Is it the 5GB limit on personal docs or the need to install the kindle app on none kindle devices to access the cloud?

Both understandable issues if you just want to fire up a web browser on any device and log in/read. But I was wondering if there's more to your objection than that?

Quote:
My issue is that several folks have attacked me for wanting to stream my ebooks using a cloud service.
I'm not sure they're attacks, they're just disagreements which always happen on forums with so many different people holding different opinions. It's what makes this place so interesting really.

It's also common because not everyone who posts asking how to do XYZ has actually considered the implications of doing XYZ rather than the alternatives. You may have worked through the possible issues already, but people reading your thread in the future may not have, so to see your views questioned and your response as to why you're happy with those issues or how you'll handle them, may help someone else decide to use the cloud or stay away from it.

Last edited by JoeD; 12-01-2012 at 07:29 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #40
jabberwock_11
Addict

I don't email my many docs and books to my kindle account because I do not like the kindle reading app and do not particularly care for how frequently Amazon has changed their policies with regards to cloud storage in the past.

As for the nature of some of the replies to my post, I have to say that not only did those replies that I refer to as attacks completely avoid dealing with the initial question they also came after my own personal statements. To have been considered helpful those replies would have to have been phrased in an entirely different way than they were. I have no problem with debate and with differing opinions, but when the replies that I received from a select few completely ignored the subject of the thread and instead went after me for wanting to use a network connection to do my reading, then I felt attacked. The statements were not open for discussion, they were aggressive and close minded. Whether that was on purpose or simply because of the posters' underlying prejudices toward my desire to use a network connection for what they saw as a fundamentally off line activity makes no difference. If those same posts had approached me in a more open way and to find out why I would want to do things the way that I do, then there would have been no problem, but that is not what happened. The very first reply to my post did exactly that, they asked me why in an open and curious way without making me feel foolish for having a different out look on how I use my network connection or store my ebooks. This whole experience has seriously soured me on this forum, which is too bad seeing as I have been a member for the last four years and have found many helpful and guiding posts here and have very rarely felt anything but good intentions from the other members.