Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
ShacharWeis
ShacharWeis began at the beginning.

Device: fx-82c
Two questions about TXT files and Fonts

Hello everyone.
I have been waiting for an e-ink reader for many years now
(ever since I first read about e-ink technology)
I'm thinking of getting the PRS-500 now that it's price will drop some
due to the new 505. I have a few questions.

First, I've read some bad reviews on the bundles software.
I'm not interested in buying online, I have tones and tons of reading
materials in plain text.
How hard is it to just shunt over text files to the reader ?
And what do you guys do when you want to read DOC or HTML files ?

Second,
Does it support Hebrew fonts ? with a hack maybe?
Can it display text aligned right ?

Thanks,
Shachar Weis.
ShacharWeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Welcome!
A slightly off-topic question: Any connection to BCDS in CT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacharWeis View Post
How hard is it to just shunt over text files to the reader ?
And what do you guys do when you want to read DOC or HTML files ?
The best way to move text files to the Reader is with Book Designer. This is a very good free manuscript editing program. But if you just want a quick job the you should try libprs500.

The same applies for HTML.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786 Book Designer
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/

Quote:

Second,

Thanks,
Shachar Weis.
Yes it can should support Hebrew. The Reader supports "embedded fonts", which means that the font is inside the file. I know that we have part of the odyssey in Greek, and at least one of our members has his ebooks in Chinese.

The Reader doesn't support left alignment, so far as I know. If it had right alignment, I would be terribly surprised.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
ShacharWeis
ShacharWeis began at the beginning.

Device: fx-82c
Sorry, dont know what BCDS or CT is.

Thanks for the quick reply !
Shachar.
ShacharWeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Sorry, dont know what BCDS or CT is.

Thanks for the quick reply !
Shachar.
BCDS is the Bi-Cultural Day School. It's a private Jewish school located in the state of Connecticut(CT). They just started using Sony Readers this fall. I had sent an email invitation to them on Saturday, and I thought from your questions that you might be from them. I'm sorry; I jumped to the wrong conlusion.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome, ShacharWeis!

For your text files, you can just drop them onto a memory card (no conversion) and load them that way, or you can use the Connect Software to transfer them to internal memory (also no conversion), but I would agree with Nate that you'll get the best results if you use something like BD to convert them to LRF.

I don't know if anyone has tried right alignment, but you can probably use the hack methods posted in the Developer's Corner of this forum to substitute the fonts if you care to.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
phrodod
Enthusiast
phrodod began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Second,

Thanks,
Shachar Weis.
While it can display text aligned right, I've not been able to get proper Hebrew fonts. With PDF's sized to the reader, they look perfect. But BookDesigner doesn't seem to support Hebrew, and HTML2LRF beautifully displays the Hebrew font...left to right!

It may be a problem with the source I was using (mixed Hebrew and English), so I can't say for sure that it doesn't support Hebrew, but mine sure looked goofed up (the Niquidot ended up between the letters which were displayed left to right!)

Phrodod
phrodod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Bookeen CyBook Gen3 is supposed to have support for user-supplied fonts. In your case, I'd wait a month or so for that device to come out if such a feature is paramount.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
phrodod
Enthusiast
phrodod began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
The Bookeen CyBook Gen3 is supposed to have support for user-supplied fonts. In your case, I'd wait a month or so for that device to come out if such a feature is paramount.
However, if any right-to-left languages (like Hebrew) are desired, check support for that separately!
phrodod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
It doesn't fit well in the discussion, but the topic seems to cover my question:

Has the Sony Reader support for monospaced fonts?
Sometimes this would be very useful.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischeriad View Post
Has the Sony Reader support for monospaced fonts?
Sometimes this would be very useful.
Yup. It has three built in fonts, a serif, a sans serif and a monospace. They're roughly analogous to Times Roman, Arial and Courier, respectively
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote