Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
LBalsam
LBalsam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
How do I backup my books?

There is no mention of this in any of the documentation.

My PC is starting to blue screen and I may have to reinstall Windows, so I need to backup ASAP.

I am running the latest version of the Connect software on Windows XP.

Thanks - LBalsam
LBalsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
benn600
Enthusiast
benn600 is on a distinguished road

The books are located in strange locations. Just right click a book and preview it. It will give you the location. Remember that purchased books you can re-download.

I dislike the Connect software and only use it to buy books. I use another program to sync books so I can keep the book files where I want and not where Sony Connect wants them. This way I keep them in a special folder on my server so they're automatically kept safe and when they're so small, they're very easy to backup.

I also keep audiobooks there, too, and those take a lot. Each book can be 300-900 MB or so.
benn600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
First, all books you bought from Sony CONNECT store can be redownloaded after you reinstall. Some here have already had to do that.

They are located in the "My Documents\My Books\CONNECT Reader" subdirectory. If the file type is "BBeB Book" they can be read by any Reader. If they are "BBeB Secure Book" then they have DRM (Digital Rights Management) and are restricted to devices on your account alone.

Hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
One thing, before you reinstall Windows, de-register your PC from your ConnStore account. The ConnStore may not recognize it as the same machine after the reinstall, it definitely won't if you have to swap the drive out.

If you've already done the reinstall, or you can't get the de-registration to go through, you can get Sony to remove the 'old' registration, but you'll have to call them to do so. It'll save you some time if you can do this beforehand.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
LBalsam
LBalsam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks to all. I will back up all the book files, just in case...
LBalsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert