Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #616
HariSeldon85
HariSeldon85 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Sorry that I don't. Maybe Duokan is the only choice for K4NT so far....
I really don't like Duokan...I don't want to reboot every time i want to read a pdf or an epub...
HariSeldon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #617
HariSeldon85
HariSeldon85 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
Btw, kindlepdfviewer does not support pdf text reflow.
argh...
HariSeldon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #618
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

I've been using KindlePDFViewr 2012.05 202b6fc (latest official release) for a couple of weeks now, and I'm really impressed. Thanks a lot to everyone who worked on this project.

However, there were a few things that I didn't like:

1. I've got a Kindle 3 wifi, and when reading pdfs I almost always use Fit to Content Width, and never Fit to Page Width because the screen is too small. Therefore, I wanted key bindings for Zoom to Fit to Content to be without Shift, and Zoom to Fit to Page to be with Shift - making frequently used features more accessible.

2. I didn't like dimming of the overlaping content when panning. I understand that it's there to help you find next line to read, but I still didn't like it.

3. When reading pdfs in Fit to Content Width mode, a page usually takes 2 screens to display. 1st screen is fully filled with content of the page, with top of the page lined up with the top of the screen, and when you press PG_FW, on the 2nd screen you get only the part of the page that wasn't shown on 1st screen and the rest is gray. I wanted 2nd screen to be also fully filled with the content of the page, with bottom of the page lined up with the bottom of the screen. This way of displaying pages is especially useful for pages with graphics and pictures.

So, here are my hacks for these "problems". There are probably more elegant solutions, but these work for me. I doubt that any of it will end up in one of the next releases because they're all rather trivial, which means that developers most likely prefered it the way it was released, but I'm publishing them in case someone finds them useful.

All of the hacks require editing of UniReader.lua file.

1. Changing key bindings for Zoom to Fit to Content etc.
--------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler:

Open the file UniReader.lua, find the quoted part (line 1965) and just switch the places of coloured lines (red switch places with each other, blue switch places with each other etc.):

Code:
self.commands:add(KEY_A,nil,"A",
	"zoom to fit page",
	function(unireader)
		unireader:setglobalzoom_mode(unireader.ZOOM_FIT_TO_PAGE)
	end)
self.commands:add(KEY_A,MOD_SHIFT,"A",
	"zoom to fit content",
	function(unireader)
		unireader:setglobalzoom_mode(unireader.ZOOM_FIT_TO_CONTENT)
	end)
self.commands:add(KEY_S,nil,"S",
	"zoom to fit page width",
	function(unireader)
		unireader:setglobalzoom_mode(unireader.ZOOM_FIT_TO_PAGE_WIDTH)
	end)
self.commands:add(KEY_S,MOD_SHIFT,"S",
	"zoom to fit content width",
	function(unireader)
		unireader:setglobalzoom_mode(unireader.ZOOM_FIT_TO_CONTENT_WIDTH)
	end)
self.commands:add(KEY_D,nil,"D",
	"zoom to fit page height",
	function(unireader)
		unireader:setglobalzoom_mode(unireader.ZOOM_FIT_TO_PAGE_HEIGHT)
	end)
self.commands:add(KEY_D,MOD_SHIFT,"D",
	"zoom to fit content height",
	function(unireader)
		unireader:setglobalzoom_mode(unireader.ZOOM_FIT_TO_CONTENT_HEIGHT)
	end)
self.commands:add(KEY_F,nil,"F",
	"zoom to fit margin 2-column mode",
	function(unireader)
		unireader:setglobalzoom_mode(unireader.ZOOM_FIT_TO_CONTENT_HALF_WIDTH_MARGIN)
	end)
self.commands:add(KEY_F,MOD_SHIFT,"F",
	"zoom to fit content 2-column mode",
	function(unireader)
		unireader:setglobalzoom_mode(unireader.ZOOM_FIT_TO_CONTENT_HALF_WIDTH)
	end)

2. Removing dimming of overlapping content
------------------------------------------
Spoiler:

Open the file UniReader.lua, find the following lines and comment the two lines shown in green below (lines 1377 and 1379):

Code:
	if self.show_overlap < 0 then
		fb.bb:dimRect(0,0, width, self.dest_y - self.show_overlap)
	elseif self.show_overlap > 0 then
		fb.bb:dimRect(0,self.dest_y + height - self.show_overlap, width, self.show_overlap)
	end

3. Always fill screen with content of the page
----------------------------------------------
Spoiler:

Open the file UniReader.lua, find the following line:

Code:
self.show_overlap = -self.pan_overlap_vertical -- top < 0
then add these 3 lines over it:
Code:
if self.offset_y < self.min_offset_y then
	self.offset_y = self.min_offset_y - 0
end
next, find this line:

Code:
self.show_overlap = self.pan_overlap_vertical -- bottom > 0
then add these 3 lines over it:
Code:
if self.offset_y > self.content_top then
	self.offset_y = self.content_top + 0
end
If you'd like a bit of a gray border to help you distinguish the top or the bottom of the page, change "- 0" to "- 30" and "+ 0" to "+ 50" in the lines above.

I attached unireader.lua file with all above stated changes (along with some comments) in case someone needs it. Just unpack it and copy it over unireader.lua on your Kindle.
Attached Files
File Type: zip unireader.zip (16.0 KB, 180 views)
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #619
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Kai771,

Thank you, but the current development version has a separate menu for selecting zoom modes, so those key bindings are no longer relevant (and may even disappear

I have added multi-level hierarchical Table of Contents support (i.e. expandable/collapsable like in Adobe Acrobat Reader) just now. I will probably build a binary distribution tomorrow which everyone can try. It will be available at:

https://github.com/tigran123/kindlepdfviewer/downloads

Update: it is now available, the file is called kindlepdfviewer-27340db.zip

Last edited by tigran; 09-08-2012 at 08:27 PM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #620
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Ah, collapsable TOC - finally! The thing I really missed. Helps tremendously when your TOC is 24 pages/screens! Thanks a lot!

On the other hand, the things I said that I disliked are still present, but fortunately my hacks still work. The new menu for zoom modes is ok (especially for possible K4 port) but it takes more keypresses - that's the whole reason I changed keybindings. I hope you don't remove them - I don't see any harm in having both - but if you do, I guess I can put them back on my kindle... or stay with this version.

I'm attaching a new modified unireader.lua that contains my hacks discussed in my previous post, but modified from tigrans 27340db 2012.09.09 source and intended to work with that binary distribution, in case someone needs it. (probably unlikely, but... just in case )

Once again, collapsable TOC is AWESOME!

Regards,
Kai
Attached Files
File Type: zip unireader-27340db-modified.zip (19.3 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by Kai771; 09-08-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: oops, forgot attachment :)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #621
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
On the other hand, the things I said that I disliked are still present, but fortunately my hacks still work. The new menu for zoom modes is ok (especially for possible K4 port) but it takes more keypresses - that's the whole reason I changed keybindings. I hope you don't remove them - I don't see any harm in having both - but if you do, I guess I can put them back on my kindle... or stay with this version.
I think I can say for all developers: me are not removing keyboard shortcuts, we have keyboards on our Kindles and like to use it :-)

If anything, I would love to simplify keyboard shortcuts a bit, but with a goal of pressing fewer of them, not more. There is somewhat related issue about it

https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/issues/248

and your feedback is wery welcomed.
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #622
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Kay771,

Unfortunately, in the version you downloaded there was a slight bug (on files with no TOC it would crash which has been fixed a couple of hours ago, so I suggest you download the latest build from:

https://github.com/tigran123/kindlep.../wiki/Download

As a bonus you get a new feature: now you can not only add bookmarks, but also delete them!
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #623
Kai771
Just a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
I think I can say for all developers: me are not removing keyboard shortcuts, we have keyboards on our Kindles and like to use it :-)
Very glad to hear it.

Quote:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/issues/248
"Everything you need to start using reader should be under menu."
I couldn't agree with you more. When I first started KindlePDFViewer a couple of weeks ago and opened a random pdf file, the very first button I pressed was "MENU". If nothing more, there should've been a line that says "Press H for help". It took a bit to find it .
Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #624
Kai771
Just a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
Kay771,

Unfortunately, in the version you downloaded there was a slight bug (on files with no TOC it would crash which has been fixed a couple of hours ago, so I suggest you download the latest build from:
Thanks, downloaded and installed.

Quote:
As a bonus you get a new feature: now you can not only add bookmarks, but also delete them!
I hardly ever use bookmarks, so it's kinda wasted on me, but it's good to know that it's there if I need it.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #625
daksha
daksha began at the beginning.

Device: dxg
Thanks a lot for increse/decrese panning steps, I was waiting for this function for a long time. One thing thou is needed, when page is readed by few panning steps, the next page should start from the top, not bottom. Is very helpful in landscape mode. Please fix this.
daksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #626
daksha
daksha began at the beginning.

Device: dxg
I forgot how to change refresh rate per page count, can someone help me please. Thx.
daksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #627
Eures
Connoisseur
Eures is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Paperwhite 4
Sorry, but I dont understand the dowload page, there is before a "Download as zip" (537k) and then the last "Download package" (5.139k):
https://github.com/dpavlin/kindlepdfviewer/downloads
???
Eures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #628
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
"Download as zip" (and the "Download as tar.gz") refer to grabbing copies of the entire repository. That is part of the repository interface, not part of the project.

Phooey, ruined my nice post number - guess I need to make 17 more answers today.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #629
Kai771
Just a Noob

Hi,

I tried to compile KPDFViewer, but I was unsuccessful. I'm a total noob with this, so don't be surprised if you read something stupid. This is what I did:

I have a Windows 7 64-bit box, so I made a Virtual machine using VirtualBox and installed Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop 32-bit, with default settings. (It shouldn't matter that I'm using a virtual machine, but I'm stating it for completeness sake).

In my previous attempts I realised that default installation lacked some packets, so this time I added them first:

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install git

$ sudo apt-get install g++

$ sudo apt-get install lua5.1

$ sudo apt-get install cmake

$ sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-all

$ sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev

$ sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi

$ sudo apt-get install g++-arm-linux-gnueabi
(I know I could've added them all in one line, but since I added them one by one... )

Then, I cloned the repository (I hope this is the correct terminology... I never used git before):

and then

Code:
$ cd kindlepdfviewer
Then I edited Makefile, changing

Code:
HOST:=arm-none-linux-gnueabi
into
Code:
HOST:=arm-linux-gnueabi
after that, I did:

Code:
$ make fetchthirdparty
This far everything seemed to be ok. From this point on, I did 2 separate attempts: A - make for ARM and B - make for emulation.

A - Make for ARM
-----------------

Code:
$ make thirdparty
I had some warnings here, mostly "defined but not used", but it seemingly went ok, too. I have full log files, but since they're kinda long, I'm reluctant to attach them if it's not necessary. Here are a few of the last lines:

Code:
[ 96%] Building CXX object crengine/crengine/CMakeFiles/crengine.dir/src/chmfmt.cpp.o
[ 97%] Building CXX object crengine/crengine/CMakeFiles/crengine.dir/src/epubfmt.cpp.o
[ 98%] Building CXX object crengine/crengine/CMakeFiles/crengine.dir/src/pdbfmt.cpp.o
[100%] Building CXX object crengine/crengine/CMakeFiles/crengine.dir/src/wordfmt.cpp.o
Linking CXX static library libcrengine.a
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib'
[100%] Built target crengine
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib'
Then I did

Code:
$ make kpdfview
This didn't end that well. A few of the last lines:

Code:
crtxtenc.cpp:(.text._ZN16CDoubleCharStat25CloseEv[CDoubleCharStat2::Close()]+0x10): undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)'
crtxtenc.cpp:(.text._ZN16CDoubleCharStat25CloseEv[CDoubleCharStat2::Close()]+0x20): undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)'
kpvcrlib/crengine/crengine/libcrengine.a(crtxtenc.cpp.o):(.rodata._ZTI16CDoubleCharStat2[typeinfo for CDoubleCharStat2]+0x0): undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__class_type_info'
kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/libpng.a(pngrtran.c.o): In function `png_build_gamma_table':
pngrtran.c:(.text+0x35a4): undefined reference to `pow'
pngrtran.c:(.text+0x36d8): undefined reference to `pow'
pngrtran.c:(.text+0x380a): undefined reference to `pow'
pngrtran.c:(.text+0x3914): undefined reference to `pow'
pngrtran.c:(.text+0x39d8): undefined reference to `pow'
kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/libpng.a(pngrtran.c.o):pngrtran.c:(.text+0x3a70): more undefined references to `pow' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [kpdfview] Error 1
Now, I should've probably used Code Sourcery toolchain here instead of Linaro that goes with Ubuntu? Do I need to use scratchbox2? Copy libraries from Kindle? How? Anyone cares to explain?

B - Make for Emulation
-----------------------

Unrelated to the A above, I did this for emulation:

Code:
$ EMULATE_READER_W=600 EMULATE_READER_H=800 EMULATE_READER=1 make thirdparty
Similar to previous attempt, some warnings, but seemingly ok. Few of the last log lines:

Code:
[ 96%] Building CXX object crengine/crengine/CMakeFiles/crengine.dir/src/chmfmt.cpp.o
[ 97%] Building CXX object crengine/crengine/CMakeFiles/crengine.dir/src/epubfmt.cpp.o
[ 98%] Building CXX object crengine/crengine/CMakeFiles/crengine.dir/src/pdbfmt.cpp.o
[100%] Building CXX object crengine/crengine/CMakeFiles/crengine.dir/src/wordfmt.cpp.o
Linking CXX static library libcrengine.a
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib'
[100%] Built target crengine
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib'
Then, I did:

Code:
$ EMULATE_READER_W=600 EMULATE_READER_H=800 EMULATE_READER=1 make kpdfview
and got this in the end

Code:
kpvcrlib/crengine/crengine/libcrengine.a(crtxtenc.cpp.o):(.rodata._ZTI16CDoubleCharStat2[typeinfo for CDoubleCharStat2]+0x0): undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__class_type_info'
kpvcrlib/crengine/crengine/libcrengine.a(crtxtenc.cpp.o):(.eh_frame+0xdb): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/libpng.a(pngrtran.c.o): In function `png_build_gamma_table':
/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/pngrtran.c:4041: undefined reference to `pow'
/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/pngrtran.c:4171: undefined reference to `pow'
/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/pngrtran.c:4143: undefined reference to `pow'
/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/pngrtran.c:4197: undefined reference to `pow'
/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/pngrtran.c:4220: undefined reference to `pow'
kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/libpng.a(pngrtran.c.o):/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/pngrtran.c:4057: more undefined references to `pow' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [kpdfview] Error 1
So, what am I doing wrong? Am I wrong to think that the choice and even presence of ARM compiler has nothing to do with building it for device emulation? Again, I have the full logs of the make output, and I can attach them if needed, but I get the feeling that I'm missing something simple, something that an experienced developer would spot from a mile away .

Thanks for your patience.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #630
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Apparently you need to link to the math library with -lm. I wonder why it is dependent on the power function.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote