Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
KecajN
Enthusiast
KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBoox Inkpad 3, Inkpad X
Kranf Kindle Collection Manager - ultimate tool to organize ebooks in folders

Since one year I use Kindle DXG to store not only ebooks and magazines purchased from Amazon but also hundreds of free ebooks, technical documentation, whitepapers, manuals, etc. Lack of virtually any content management caused that initially I spent more time on organizing ebooks rather than reading them (try to add 1300 files to collections manually...). I tested a lot of collection managers advertised on this forum (my favorite one was Adrian Colegate's KCM) but so far none solved all my issues. Also calibre also is not suitable for my needs. Finally I have found the tool that almost perfectly does what needs to be done to keep all files neatly organized in folders and have them mapped to Kindle collections automatically: Kranf Kindle Collection Manager.

Actually it consists of two separate tools:
- KKCM_collections2Dir.exe - it converts your current collections into folders (I did not use it as I have already everything stored inside folders)
- KKCM_dir2Collections.exe - this one make backup copy of original collection file and creates new one with all new collections mapped to file system folders. All you have to do is restarting your Kindle and you are done!

The tool is available in two flavors:

1. Free KKCM that is suitable for most needs.

2. Paid KKCM+ that includes all the features of KKCM and:
- it allows to keep the same ebook in several collections because it does not process collections with ":" at the end of the name,
- it can recurse down the multilevel folders to map them into one level Kindle collection space.

Non-free KKCM+ costs only 5 EUR so it seems to be fair price to make $379 DXG usable piece of hardware...

I am using it for several days and although it is currently 0.05 release I have noticed only one minor bug: It cannot add Amazon samples to collection. It also lacks some customization features but they will come in next releases.

Should you are looking for decent collection manager to organize your ebooks just in seconds, check:
http://www.applied-mathematics.net/t...onManager.html

Note: I am not related in any way to the author of this application. I am only happy user of KKCM+. First time since I purchased DXG I can just use it without spending hours on content management.
KecajN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
ll Legion ll
ll Legion ll began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
and...

So what does it do that can't be done using Adrian Colegate's KCM?
ll Legion ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Well, it works. KCM does not work with current version of the firmware for Kindle 3, for me anyway.

It works on your computer, so you can move multiple files at the same time, and it is being upgraded.

I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I have 2800 books on my Kindle 3, so maybe that's just me.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I'm impressed with it too. Very simple to use once set up. The only problem for me is if I have the books within a collection set to display according to "most recent first", that doesn't happen. The book I'm reading could be anywhere....5 pages away for example on my current book.

Anyone else having this problem? My K3 is jailbroken by the way.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
ll Legion ll
ll Legion ll began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Well, it works. KCM does not work with current version of the firmware for Kindle 3, for me anyway.

It works on your computer, so you can move multiple files at the same time, and it is being upgraded.

I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I have 2800 books on my Kindle 3, so maybe that's just me.
Huh. How about that, it doesn't work for me either. Just goes to show how often I modify my K3 Library.

Last edited by ll Legion ll; 08-15-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Oops, I was wrong...
ll Legion ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Sabrina99
Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
I'm impressed with it too. Very simple to use once set up. The only problem for me is if I have the books within a collection set to display according to "most recent first", that doesn't happen. The book I'm reading could be anywhere....5 pages away for example on my current book.
This has been fixed in v0.06 of KKCM that you can download here:
http://www.applied-mathematics.net/tools/downloads.php
(this is the new functionality labelled "Preserve collection-display-order").
See you!
Sabrina99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
pietro99
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina99 View Post
This has been fixed in v0.06 of KKCM that you can download here:
http://www.applied-mathematics.net/tools/downloads.php
(this is the new functionality labelled "Preserve collection-display-order").
See you!
Thanks, I must try this.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
pietro99
Connoisseur

I'm a bit confused. I tried the new version but all I did was run KKCM_dir2Collections.exe which updated everything. Restarted, but the current book is still on p.5 of the folder.

I can't see anywhere the function "Preserve collection display order". Maybe I've missed something.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
erwinke
erwinke began at the beginning.

Why don't you use Koll3ctions?
It's free. You can download here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/koll3ctions/

Features
Create collections for books on Kindle automatically based on the Kindle folder structure.
Runs on Mac OS X, Linux and Windows. (It's platform independent.)
Supported file formats: azw, azw1, mobi, pdf, prc, tpz, txt, cbz, zip, aa, aax, mp3
Find the kindle automatically.
Multilanguage support.
Command line support for advanced users.
erwinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Sabrina99
Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
I can't see anywhere the function "Preserve collection display order". Maybe I've missed something.
The problem with the collection-display-order does not come from KKCM (from the Kranf Kindle collection manager). The problem originates from the way you shutdown your Kindle. More precisely: if you restart your kindle using the power-switch (instead of the "restart" option in the menus), it resets the kindle internal clock and this scramble your collection-display-order. Use the "soft" restart (with the menu) and everything will be fine. Note: This remark remains valid whatever the collection manager that you are using.

I also tried the "Koll3ctions" software: it's very slower and it does not work with the books that have accentuated (or non english) characters in the filename. Very limited. I am sticking with KKCM.

See you!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
vigna04
vigna04 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm going to go try the free version, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KecajN View Post
Since one year I use Kindle DXG to store not only ebooks and magazines purchased from Amazon but also hundreds of free ebooks, technical documentation, whitepapers, manuals, etc. Lack of virtually any content management caused that initially I spent more time on organizing ebooks rather than reading them (try to add 1300 files to collections manually...). I tested a lot of collection managers advertised on this forum (my favorite one was Adrian Colegate's KCM) but so far none solved all my issues. Also calibre also is not suitable for my needs. Finally I have found the tool that almost perfectly does what needs to be done to keep all files neatly organized in folders and have them mapped to Kindle collections automatically: Kranf Kindle Collection Manager.

Actually it consists of two separate tools:
- KKCM_collections2Dir.exe - it converts your current collections into folders (I did not use it as I have already everything stored inside folders)
- KKCM_dir2Collections.exe - this one make backup copy of original collection file and creates new one with all new collections mapped to file system folders. All you have to do is restarting your Kindle and you are done!

The tool is available in two flavors:

1. Free KKCM that is suitable for most needs.

2. Paid KKCM+ that includes all the features of KKCM and:
- it allows to keep the same ebook in several collections because it does not process collections with ":" at the end of the name,
- it can recurse down the multilevel folders to map them into one level Kindle collection space.

Non-free KKCM+ costs only 5 EUR so it seems to be fair price to make $379 DXG usable piece of hardware...

I am using it for several days and although it is currently 0.05 release I have noticed only one minor bug: It cannot add Amazon samples to collection. It also lacks some customization features but they will come in next releases.

Should you are looking for decent collection manager to organize your ebooks just in seconds, check:
http://www.applied-mathematics.net/t...onManager.html

Note: I am not related in any way to the author of this application. I am only happy user of KKCM+. First time since I purchased DXG I can just use it without spending hours on content management.
vigna04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i had 6200 mobi books in a single folder in the document folder but this caused kindle to freeze.

it even slowed my WINDOWS computer due to so many files in one folder.

i then removed many books .now it is about 4500 but is still sluggish.

all the books are AUTHOR - TITLE format...the dash - separates author and book title.

all the 4500 books are in a single folder,the document folder in the kindle.

there are no subfolders in this document folder.

i don't have any collections as it would be too tedious to do.

question is how would i create collections on the kindle using these existing files in AUTHOR - TITLE format.

do i have to put them into author folders again.This would be very tedious to do manually.
and then use this software?

or do i just run the software and it will automatically create collections like author - title collections?

ideally i would like to have subfolders of maybe 500 to 1000 books each in the kindle documents folder to prevent the sluggishness caused by too many books and use the collections software to access the books from these subfolders to remove the sluggishness.

Last edited by vugtitan; 12-07-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: more thoughts.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
AudreyG
AudreyG began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sadly, for Kindle 3.3 Kindle Collection Manager doesn't work.

I tried all other options listed on this thread, but none worked.
AudreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Sabrina99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyG View Post
Sadly, for Kindle 3.3 Kindle Collection Manager doesn't work.
I tried all other options listed on this thread, but none worked.
KKCM (Kranf Kindle Collection Manager) is working for all kindles (and especially those with a firmware above 3.3).
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #15
petuschki
Leseratte
petuschki has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina99 View Post
KKCM (Kranf Kindle Collection Manager) is working for all kindles (and especially those with a firmware above 3.3).
I can't support that. I bought the pro-version and used it on a Kindle 3G with the recently updated firmware Kindle 3.3 (611680021)

the Kindle contained collections already and I followed the steps:

1) KKCM_collections2Dir.exe
2) KKCM_dir2Collections.exe

after this I had all 6 collections doubled, each collection possesed a copy with the identical name, just added a underscore _ to the collection name
I had to delete all the collections

so I am not sure about the actual advantage of that tool and I do not dare to use it on my main kindle with 35 collections...

is KRANF not compatible with the newest OS version or did I do a mistake?
petuschki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collection manager, kranf