Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Communication issue itunes and OSX

When I plug in my iPad to my iMac and run Calibre, it seems to see the iPad as it starts up iTunes. But at that point it no longer seems to communicate with iTunes. It doesn't go on and build a list of titles on the iPad, won't let me transfer files to the iPad or connect with iTunes. I've never used this on the Mac before so not sure how if it works differently.

I recently moved my library from Windows to the iMac and don't know if there is something not set right or if things don't work the same as on Windows. Another cause for the lack of communication, the reason I moved the library over to the iMac is because I upgraded the iTunes to 10.5 and installed IOS 5 on the iPad. Am I just too early to be using Calibre with the latest betas?

If only they had released iTunes 10.5 for Windows which is my sync computer for this iPad.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Read the the calibre + iDevices FAQ, if you're still having a problem post a debug log as described in the FAQ.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Yeah I've followed everything in the FAQ.

Here is the error info:

calibre, version 0.8.4
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Unknown property, element or command: 'add'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 62, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 364, in _upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 1034, in upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 1292, in _add_new_copy
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 1216, in _add_library_book
File "site-packages/appscript/reference.py", line 580, in __getattr__
AttributeError: Unknown property, element or command: 'add'

Calibre runs, does see the iPad connected as it starts up iTunes but then never tries to get the titles on the device or let me communicate with the device.

OS X 10.6.7
Calibre 0.8.4
iTunes 10.5 (I'm really wondering if this is the issue as it is the newest and most people won't have it for a while yet.)

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

Cleared everything and started over. Using the connect to itunes method, when I connect it adds the column for "On Device" but when it tries to fill it in I get the following error:

calibre, version 0.8.4
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Unknown property, element or command: 'sources'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 62, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 298, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 3072, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 2160, in _get_library_books
File "site-packages/appscript/reference.py", line 580, in __getattr__
AttributeError: Unknown property, element or command: 'sources'
Old 06-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I am running the latest released (not beta) version of iTunes, 10.3.1, and calibre 0.8.5 under OSX without any problems.

I don't support beta software, it's challenging enough to keep things working with the released software in multiple OS's and configurations.

The error you're reporting indicates that the the iTunes automation is not working correctly. I have seen some tweets suggesting that following the directions in this Apple support doc resolves some iTunes problems with iDevices. You can also try reinstalling iTunes, and of course restarting your system.

If none of those suggestions help, then I can only suggest that you revert to the released versions of iTunes and the iDevice firmware.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Just thought I would mention I am using Calibre 0.8.5 and iTunes 10.5 on Windows 7 and it is connecting and syncing with no issues. I still only have iOS4.3 on my iPad (at the moment), but that should not be relevant to the iTunes/Calibre interactions. Therefore if there is an issue between Calibre and iTunes 10.5 it looks like it might be specific to OSX?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

I'll check out the link but I suspect some issue with the new version of iTunes. I mainly report it because if they have changed something, then when it is officially released it would suck for everyone with an iDevice to have to wait until a patch could be found.

GRiker: Alas reverting to an earlier version isn't possible, once you upgrade your iOS firmware to the new 5 beta, you can't go back. There is talk of one program that might be able to revert things but that really is not an option. For now I just have to forgo Calibre and manage everything in iTunes.

itimpi: Are you sure it is 10.5 you are running on Win 7? I'd like a version for Win 7 as that is my primary system but Apple as not released 10.5 for Windows, only for the Mac. Where did you find it? Sure it is legit? iTunes 10.5 is only in beta at the moment.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
GRiker: Alas reverting to an earlier version isn't possible, once you upgrade your iOS firmware to the new 5 beta, you can't go back. There is talk of one program that might be able to revert things but that really is not an option. For now I just have to forgo Calibre and manage everything in iTunes.
I have had no problem reverting my iPad from iOS5 to iOS4.3.3.

Apple have said that you cannot revert since iOS3 came out but it has always been possible if you knew what you are doing and you had not Jailbroken your system.

Quote:
itimpi: Are you sure it is 10.5 you are running on Win 7? I'd like a version for Win 7 as that is my primary system but Apple as not released 10.5 for Windows, only for the Mac. Where did you find it? Sure it is legit? iTunes 10.5 is only in beta at the moment.
I know it is only in beta. It is iTunes 10.5.0.28 downloaded from Apple! I used it to update my iPad to iOS5.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I know it is only in beta. It is iTunes 10.5.0.28 downloaded from Apple! I used it to update my iPad to iOS5.
Don't know where you are finding it, the only 10.5 betas I can find on Apple's site are for the Mac.