Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
Seeking ~8" Reader Primarily for Reading Articles via Pocket + Listening

I'm looking to move up from a 6" Kobo Clara and I read more articles than books -- most of which I see online and save to Pocket for later reading on the Kobo (the Clara comes with Pocket installed).

One big question is whether I'm limited to either Kobo or Android devices to enjoy this function (I won't buy an Amazon product). The Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro boasts a feature called "Save to Pocketbook," but i can't find any evidence that it can be used like Pocket or is only for loading books. I'd be grateful for any guidance on this.

My priorities are:
* 8" (7.8") screen
* audio capability(bluetooth preferred)
* text to voice capability

Inkpad 3 Pro and Likebook Mars are the two that seem most promising, but I'd want to be sure the Inkpad can read articles saved via Pocket or a comparable tool. THANK YOU for any info or advice!
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #2
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
The InkPad 3 Pro only comes with proprietary preinstalled apps. I don’t know if there’s a way to natively install Pocket. Have you considered the Kobo Forma? It’s 8” and like the Clara, has built in Pocket integration. It doesn’t have text to speech though.

I’ve never used the Likebook Mars and but it seems quite impressive given the price point. Since you have access to the Google Play store, you should be able to install Pocket just like any other Android device. However a word of caution, there seem to be a lot of reports of software and hardware issues with this device and the obscure Chinese vendor doesn’t support it as well as as Amazon and Kobo.

Last edited by azayn; 11-21-2019 at 12:07 AM.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2019, 02:36 AM   #3
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
There's no way to install Pocket on the Inkpad, but there is a similar way of getting articles sent to it. Send-to-Pocketbook gives you an email address for your device and you can use that to send articles to it. I use the service of Fivefilters.org (Kindle-it) on my PC for that; they've implemented the pbsync.com email address.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
mtreader
Connoisseur

Thanks azayn, LucyOne,
I could live without textr-to-speech, but I think Forma lacks audio capability entirely, which is a deal-killer even though I love all else about my Clara.

It would be tough to switch to emailing articles after getting used to the seamless simplicity of Pocket.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
This probably isn't for you, but I have a very basic method of reading articles on my kindle: I just copy and paste it into a txt document and read that on the kindle. But this isn't what you're looking for. Just thought I'd mention it.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post
Thanks azayn, LucyOne,
It would be tough to switch to emailing articles after getting used to the seamless simplicity of Pocket.
I know what you mean. I love my Oasis but emailing articles to it is so cumbersome that I almost never bother doing it. My 7 year old Kobo Mini makes it easier to read Pocket articles. Lack of Pocket integration is the only feature missing in Kindles that Kobo has.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
RohanOrhanHaron
RohanOrhanHaron began at the beginning.

Device: none
Should get the onyx boox nova pro, or wait a month or two two and get the nova 2. (unconfirmed release date though).

You can also get the Kobo Auras.
I have the One and am completely satisfied. Especially with the inbuilt pocket support.

However, the pocket options are very limited, and the websites without the automatic pocket rendering don't show up on the list.
Also, you're then limited to the Kobo Store.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
RohanOrhanHaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanOrhanHaron View Post
Also, you're then limited to the Kobo Store.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
?????b

You can buy your ebooks in any store they sell ePubs.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I’m a heavy pocket user and on the Kindle I simply use p2k.co

I only use the free tier with a daily delivery of a random article from my Pocket list.

It works wonderfully and they have a clever way to do favorite/archive management at the end of the article if you need it. I actually just have it auto archive what it sends me.

As nice as it is to have integrated Pocket support on Kobo, I find that this solution for the Kindle does absolutely everything I need anyways.

I am aware that you asked for an 8 inch reader…
I just wanted to share my Kindle with Pocket experience to benefit others.

Last edited by bookyboy; 11-23-2019 at 12:48 PM.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
mtreader
Connoisseur

Thank you all for the ideas!

I won't buy an Amazon product and want some audio book functionality, so Pocketbook, Likebook or Onyx are the likely options. I'm not in a hurry, so perhaps there will be more options soon?
Old 12-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #11
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Kobo Forma? No TTS though.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
mtreader
Connoisseur

I could live without text-to-speech, but not without any audio capability at all. It seems odd that Kobo declines to offer any model with audio capability.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post
I could live without text-to-speech, but not without any audio capability at all. It seems odd that Kobo declines to offer any model with audio capability.
They had some Android based tablets. I assume they had audio. I don't think they were particularly successful and Kobo stopped selling them years ago. To add audio to their current devices would be a major redesign of both the hardware and software. I think there would be so many compromises to do this, it wouldn't make anyone happy. Especially as any recent smart phone will already do a very good job of any audio needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:55 PM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Re-reading your original post, I see you haven't actually specified e-ink. It seems an eight inch tablet would do everything you want.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocketbook