Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #2701
Vegaevent
Vegaevent began at the beginning.

Device: Vega
Is listening to audiobooks really the same as reading?
Vegaevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #2702
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
One uses eyes the other ears. The end result is the same though.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #2703
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
One uses eyes the other ears. The end result is the same though.
Apache
One gets a lot of debate on the question. I tend to experience them differently. I'm a lot more focused and immersed with I visually read a book than I am when I listen to an audio book. This is a good think since I tend to listen to audio books while driving. Being super focused would be a bad thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #2704
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
That is true. When I read I am oblivious to my surroundings. I have to continually remind my wife to give me a minute to come out of a book when she asks me a question. And if she asked me a question while I am reading she has to repeat it because I have no idea what she asked.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #2705
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
A diatribe, if not a rant ...

Just over halfway through the first in a (proposed, no sequel yet) series: Murder at the Mill. Iris Grey, a London artist, has separated from her abusive husband taking a lease on a cottage on the grounds of a highly successful writer; he and his family live in the mansion near the mill wheel. Not exactly a spoiler that the writer is murdered, with the deed in the prologue, and the official act after he and the rest of the possible suspects have been introduced.

I'm frustrated that although she is nominally the amateur sleuth, Again part of a possible series, we are only in her head barely half the time, along with the family members, local residents, police, and even her estranged husband. At 14 hours, it's fairly long for a mystery. Supposedly, she's headed off to Scotland at the end of this story, so I'd be willing to try the next one, but this quasi-cozy format isn't really for me.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #2706
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I finished Ivanhoe and loved it. issybird, I can especially see why you were annoyed with that pronunciation since it's probably the most-mentioned name in the book.

Next, I listened to The American Senator by Anthony Trollope and narrated by Flo Gibson. She wasn't my first or even tenth choice as narrator, but she was my only choice. I won't recommend her narration as it's perfunctory, but while not a glowing compliment the steady gait of it at least lets one focus on the story as long as one can overlook some atrocious character accents. Upon a little investigation into why she was the only choice, I found that she dedicated decades to narrate books that many of which were previously unrecorded. So for that I'm grateful as it did give me the ability to listen to this in audiobook. I had previously listened to her narrate Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and her voice was perfect for that, but even then I noticed the flat narration.

Now I'm onto Saki. First up is The Chronicles of Clovis which I'm currently almost finished listening to as narrated by Ian Richardson, star of the original UK House of Cards among other credits. I'm enjoying his extremely florid narration of this.

Next up will be another Saki, Beasts and Super-Beasts. I would go with Richardson again as narrator if such a thing existed but it doesn't seem to. So it will be with Cathy Dobson whom I don't think I've listened to before, but I like the sample of her narration too. This may be a first for me as it will be interesting listening to (and comparing and contrasting) two different narrations of the same author back to back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
You should try Tana French. This series has excellent writing. I have read pbook/ebook formats. I haven’t tried the audiobooks so can’t comment on the narration quality.
All right, I'll have to move French up my tbr!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #2707
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished a relisten of Fool Moon by Jim Butcher and on to Making Money by Terry Pratchett. I am relistening to the Dresden Files series in anticipation of the new book in 2020. Once done with Diskworld (6 books left including this one), I'll be moving on to Terry Brooks who will be ending the Shannara series in 2020.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #2708
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I listen to audio books only while doing long cross-country drives. Yes, reading a book is engrossing of my attention — but listening makes me hear all the little details that I don’t pay attention to when reading. (This is due to the slower speed of voice, vs reading.). True, listening in short bits might not be wholly engrossing, but listening for 8 hours straight (barring every 2 hour pit stops) is very immersive.

* (I need another term, rather than using engrossing twice, but I’m not finding it just now)

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 10-25-2019 at 12:18 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #2709
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I listen to audio books only while doing long cross-country drives. Yes, reading a book is engrossing of my attention — but listening makes me hear all the little details that I don’t pay attention to when reading. (This is due to the slower speed of voice, vs reading.). True, listening in short bits might not be wholly engrossing, but listening for 8 hours straight (barring every 2 hour pit stops) is very immersive.

* (I need another term, rather than using engrossing twice, but I’m not finding it just now)
I think the term you're looking for is "engage(d)"?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:50 AM   #2710
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
It's been a while since I visited this forum and it's been 8 years(!!) since I made this thread. Time flies lol. But surprisingly, not much has changed because my current audiobook is still American Gods by Neil Gaiman (narrated by George Guidall). It's still one of my favorites that I reread or relisten to over and over again.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #2711
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I finished off Mercedes Lackey's Take a Thief. It was pretty good. I hadn't listened to Paul Woodson, the narrator before, but once I got past the use of an Irish accent for the Companion, I thought he did a good job. Take a Thief is a fill in book for Mercedes Lackey's Valdamar series. IMPO, there were a few minor inconsistencies between this book and her original Arrows of the Queen trilogy that started the Valdamar series. Several of the characters appeared in both. But they were minor and didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the book. Next up, I think I'll try Clockwork Boys by T. Kingfisher. It was between that and the next in the Drenai series, Winter Warriors.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #2712
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
It's been a while since I visited this forum and it's been 8 years(!!) since I made this thread. Time flies lol. But surprisingly, not much has changed because my current audiobook is still American Gods by Neil Gaiman (narrated by George Guidall). It's still one of my favorites that I reread or relisten to over and over again.
See? You started something that lived on... and on... and on...

Started Grave Peril by Jim Butcher, finished Making Money by Terry Pratchett and will finish A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson tonight. British murder cozy featuring a man who was in Intelligence during the war. Good story so far.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #2713
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
So, kept on trucking into the second Spellmonger book, and while I'm enjoying the sword and sorcery, reviews were right that the protagonist comes off as probably ten times the pompous ass the author seems to intend. I can certainly see where many women would have zero interest in this series, where I could count on one hand the number of female characters two books in, and the protagonist has slept with all but one (the Duchess is too old for him... so far). More empathy is extended to the goblin foes than to the women in this series.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #2714
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

That's why while I'm doing errands, I only listen to books I've listened to before (i.e. Dresden Files). Too many short stints. When I drive to my sister's (2.5 hours), I listen to a not-heard-before book. Started The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman this morning. He's not one of my authors, but I'm always willing to give one of his books a chance. I'm about 2 hours in and ENJOYING it, so onward! Excellent narrator.

How about 'enveloped'?

Last edited by Tarana; 10-28-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #2715
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I just started The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes and narrated by Julia Whelan. The history is fascinating. I never knew about horse-riding librarians delivering books in remote Kentucky during the Great Depression. Here's a link to an article about this WPA initiative.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...les-180963786/

I just finished A Girl's Guide to Missiles: Growing Up in America's Secret Desert by Karen Piper and narrated by Rebecca Lowman. An interesting coming of age memoir if you can relate to the time period and places.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations