Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #61
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't understand even a small fraction of what I read over at XDA, but I like hanging there anyway.
I'm one of those people that don't need the latest and best all the time. I usually wait until refurbs are sold at good prices, especially when new models are about to be introduced. So a year from now I look forward to play with one (or both) of the new Nooks. By then I'm sure the XDA people will have provided lots of fun stuff to play with!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #62
blogbook
Groupie
blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, KF HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There's a comparison with competing tablets here.

9"
There is at least one mistake in the overview: The price of the Nook HD+ 32 GB version is $299, not $349. B&N Nook page

And they (mnn) do not mention that you need a special $40 dongle with the Nook to stream on your TV while the Kindle Fire HD has a mini-HDMI port out of the box.

This "war of the tablets" is about the details Decisions, decisions ....
blogbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #63
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Hmmmm, does anybody else think they look pretty... ugly? The white one reminds me of either a) those cheap kids tablets on the market, or b) the original, 2-screen, chunky Nook. And what is up with the hole on the bigger one? If B&N is going to commit to having a "design signature" on their product line... then it needs to be on every product in the line! Why put the hole on the big one and not the small one? And why does it look different from the hole on the older Nook tablets? And why is it there at all???

Ok, I'll stop now. The specs look good, the price looks great (as far as I know), and I wish B&N well, so I can keep taking my daughter to their actual store in my neighborhood.

eP
They look really ugly, eP! I agree. The HD+ looks decent, but the 7" does look like one of those cheap capacitive touch tablets for kids.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #64
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogbook View Post
There is at least one mistake in the overview: The price of the Nook HD+ 32 GB version is $299, not $349. B&N Nook page

And they (mnn) do not mention that you need a special $40 dongle with the Nook to stream on your TV while the Kindle Fire HD has a mini-HDMI port out of the box.

This "war of the tablets" is about the details Decisions, decisions ....
It also doesn't mention that the Nexus 7 has Bluetooth.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #65
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
It also doesn't mention that the Nexus 7 has Bluetooth.
And doesn't the kindle fire hd have bluetooth as well?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nook HD 7 vs Kindle Fire HD 7
  • Resolution: Nook= 1440x900 - 243 ppi vs Fire= 1280x800 - 216 ppi
  • Storage: Nook 8GB= $199/ 16GB= $229 vs Fire 16GB= $199/ 32GB= $249
  • mSD Slot: Nook= yes vs Fire= no
  • Processor: Nook= TI 4470/ SGX544 vs Fire= TI 4460/ SGX540
  • Speed: Nook= 1.3 GHz vs Fire= 1.2 GHz
  • Front Cam: Nook= no vs Fire= yes
  • HDMI: Nook= $40 accessory vs Fire= built-in
  • Power Adapter: Nook= included vs Fire= $10~$20 accessory
  • Battery: Nook= 9 hrs vs Fire= 11 hrs
  • Weight: Nook= 11.1 oz vs Fire= 13.9 oz
  • Ecosystem: Nook= so-so vs Fire= great
  • Ads: Nook= no vs Fire= yes ($15 option to remove)
  • Colors: Nook= smoke, snow vs Fire= black

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-27-2012 at 12:29 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #67
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
  • Resolution: Nook= 1440x900 - 243ppi vs Fire= 1280x800 - 216ppi
  • Storage: Nook 8GB= $199, 16GB= $229 vs Fire 16GB= $199, 32GB= $249
  • mSD Slot: Nook= yes vs Fire= no
  • Processor: Nook= TI 4470/ SGX544 vs Fire= TI 4460/ SGX540
  • Speed: Nook= 1.3 GHz vs Fire= 1.2 GHz
  • Front Cam: Nook= no vs Fire= yes
  • HDMI: Nook= $40 access vs Fire= built-in
  • Power Adapter: Nook= included vs Fire= $10~$20 access
  • Battery: Nook= 9 hrs vs Fire= 11 hrs
  • Weight: Nook= 11.1 oz vs Fire= 13.9 oz
  • Ecosystem: Nook= so-so vs Fire= great
Ads: Nook= No vs Fire= Yes, $15 to remove?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Ads: Nook= No vs Fire= Yes, $15 to remove?
Thanks; forgot about those pesky things
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #69
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also the 7" Nook comes in two colors (snow & smoke ) which some folks might like.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #70
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
For those who will be sharing their tablets with children, the new Nook tablets will have user profiles so a parent can customize what type of content they want their children to access without having to create a separate B&N user account for them. That sounds like a huge plus to me. If they sold them up here in Canada, I'd be tempted.

I know that Nook targets its tablets to women, and I think that's why they chose a design with a bevel. My current 7" tablet has glass all the way across and it's hard for me to hold it. I hate having to hold the glass frame, so try to hold it in my palm which is very uncomfortable because it's just a little too big for my hand. (I stopped using my cover because I hated the extra bulk.) I think that's why the Nooks have the beveled edge - so that women can hold the device more comfortably. (The new Kobo Arcs have a beveled edge as well, which IMHO is a huge plus. That, along with the better features over the Vox, is a huge selling point for me.)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #71
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

The user profiles thing does sound interesting and it would be nice if that were to become a standard option on all tablets I think.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #72
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No Nexus 7 love? :-P
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #73
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The user profiles thing does sound interesting and it would be nice if that were to become a standard option on all tablets I think.
Android has already code in place to support multiple profiles, though it is not complete yet. The code is not in use at present, but it would indicate that Google intent to offer multiple profiles in an upcoming version of Android.

I think this would be very useful for tablets, but less so on phones.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Too much work
Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #75
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
You coud try a transitive comparo:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=89

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-27-2012 at 12:13 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote