Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
some ideas about console access

Just a idea i had, could be helpful in some situations (like mine).
The iLiad has a connector with around 30 pins, if I didn't count wrong. If we subtract the pins needed for the Interfaces/plugs on the travel hub (4=USB, 4=Ethernet, 2 or even 4 pins for power, depending on the electric current) then there are a lot of pins unused or have other purposes. And even if you double the used pins, then there would be enough left to provide a serial console.

I bet there is a serial console. The problem I think about is, how could one detect it without opening the device or inadvertently breaking some circuits?

Then there is the connector itself, has anyone a clue what vendor and type it is?
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
well, you might put a Voltmeter to the pins and check if it's varying between 0 and 5V during startup, that should be the pin it's transmitting on. (unless i got something wrong)

But we first need such a connector, holding it to the contacts on the iliad might be ... unenjoyable, in the long run.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k

I bet there is a serial console. The problem I think about is, how could one detect it without opening the device or inadvertently breaking some circuits?
It runs some ttySn process, so this is additional evidence for console, but I do not remember if a getty is still running. Other posts have suggested a JTAG debugging.

Inside the machine there is an unused conector, but of the kind used to attach some conductive flexible plastic, as to connect some extra circuit board.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
b_k
Übernerd

hm, I think I have nearly everything through at molex.com. Nothing there that looks similar to the plug on the travelhub.

about JTAG: someone who works in embedded business told me it would be very unusual to have JTAG on a external connector on a end-user deivce.

Hint: I'm searching for a non-invasive method to get access.

hm, maybe I just buy a second travel hub and break that into parts. Appears to me as the easiest way atm.

Last edited by b_k; 08-22-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
Hint: I'm searching for a non-invasive method to get access.
Centuries ago it was usual to look for a RS232 long distance buffered I/O, easily found to comply with 12 volts. Now for a cradle connector the buffering and driving is in the cradle so it does not seem easy to distinguish from the other pins. You can discard USB and Power pins by looking in the travel connector thing, I suppose, and then concentrate in the pins the travel thing does not use.

An examination of the board does not help, as the connector does not have nearby components, and the only ones it has are in the other side of the board.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
b_k
Übernerd

so that means i would need a converter from low-level signals to com-port levels? A mobile to usb cable with serial converter in it should work then, I would think, as mobiles do use 3,3V for their serial port usually.

edit: Ok, after reading your post again, you think the actual circuit for the serial port would not be in the iLiad itself, right? So, something like a MAX232 RS232-TTL converter would not be enough.

Last edited by b_k; 08-22-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
If somone has access to a AD-converter board he might be able to wire the "probable" pins to the board and then to log all signal levels during boot. memPIO is such a board with a USB inteface. It can log 24 signals...
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
b_k
Übernerd

looks like i counted wrong. according to this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7416 there are 22 pins of which are 4 unused.

So, that makes 4 pins left over.