Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
d2produce
d2produce began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Android Out-of-Network Guide?

So I don't know why the CC creators didn't include a guide to how to gain access to Calibre from android from say... down the street... or while on vacation. I mean just being able to connect through wifi is pretty useless on its own.

So how could I say let my mom or my brother access my collection from their home a state or a few towns away?

I'm completely in the dark here I've only seen some cryptic suggestions about port forwarding and checking boxes that I think don't even exist in the newest version.

Can anyone provide me with a step by step guide on using the Content Server for its real purpose?
d2produce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2produce View Post
So I don't know why the CC creators didn't include a guide to how to gain access to Calibre from android from say... down the street... or while on vacation. I mean just being able to connect through wifi is pretty useless on its own.

So how could I say let my mom or my brother access my collection from their home a state or a few towns away?

I'm completely in the dark here I've only seen some cryptic suggestions about port forwarding and checking boxes that I think don't even exist in the newest version.

Can anyone provide me with a step by step guide on using the Content Server for its real purpose?
You want to know how to set up calibre to allow access from the internet. This is a calibre question, not a CC question. I suggest that you ask on the calibre forum.

Once you have set up calibre to be visible on the 'net, setting up CC or any other app to use that access is easy. You enter the domain name and the port, or the appropriate URL, into the app's connection dialog. In CC you will also need to check the "Allow 3G" check box if your "guest" is using a cellular network instead of a WiFi network to connect to the 'net.

And to directly answer your question: there are a many (!) different ways to connect calibre to the net, and many different problems and security issues that come with those ways. CC has nothing to do with these choices.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
d2produce
d2produce began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You want to know how to set up calibre to allow access from the internet. This is a calibre question, not a CC question. I suggest that you ask on the calibre forum.

Once you have set up calibre to be visible on the 'net, setting up CC or any other app to use that access is easy. You enter the domain name and the port, or the appropriate URL, into the app's connection dialog. In CC you will also need to check the "Allow 3G" check box if your "guest" is using a cellular network instead of a WiFi network to connect to the 'net.

And to directly answer your question: there are a many (!) different ways to connect calibre to the net, and many different problems and security issues that come with those ways. CC has nothing to do with these choices.
I figured it out on my own. The answer was extremely simple and no it does not change between networks/machines it is the same universal simple steps for everyone.

All you need to do is
  • Set your usernames/passwords in calibre share settings
  • Set your Calibre port to a custom port in the setting 8080 being the default.
  • Forward your ports in your router giving it a label such as Calibre so you remeber what it is.
  • I allowed Calibre.exe and Calibre-server.exe through windows firewall.
  • Then you go to google type "Whats my IP". copy your ISP ip address (not local)
  • Then save this link: http://XXXXXXXXX:YYYY
  • XXXXXXXXX is the IP you pasted, YYYY is the Port that you set
That's all you need to do to access your Calibre from anywhere

Also unlike the "Calibre program" Which is totally useless as it does not have a built-in reader. You can actually read AND download your books with this method.

Last edited by d2produce; 08-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.
d2produce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I figured it out on my own. The answer was extremely simple and no it does not change between networks/machines it is the same universal simple steps for everyone.
Congrats on figuring out one insecure method of connecting to your computer.

As chaley stated, "there are a many (!) different ways to connect calibre to the net, and many different problems and security issues that come with those ways. CC has nothing to do with these choices. "

This statement is no less accurate because you discovered one insecure method.

Personally I simply sync my library to the cloud and access it from CC. So for me there is no need to run the content server.

Quote:
Also unlike the "Calibre program" Which is totally useless as it does not have a built-in reader. You can actually read AND download your books with this method.
I don't know what you mean by "Calibre program", but Calibre has an excellent built in reader.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I don't know what you mean by "Calibre program", but Calibre has an excellent built in reader.
As I mentioned in his other mostly-identical post in the calibre forum, I think by "calibre program" he means "calibre companion".

And yes, his "universal simple steps" aren't so universal. They leave out a few things, such as
  • Handling ISP (WAN) dynamic IP addresses.
  • DNS (static or dynamic) setup.
  • Home routers that use DMZs instead of port forwarding, and the near incomprehensibility of port forwarding setup on some routers.
  • Non-static DHCP addresses on the home network (LAN) and their interaction with port forwarding.
  • LAN vs WAN access of the content server (router packet reflection).
  • Interactions of port forwarding with multi-band and guest mode.
  • HTTP vs HTTPS, WAN packet sniffing, ISP "pirate detection", etc.
  • Choice of authentication type.
  • The interplay of connection metering and attacks. One good thing: kovid added automatic IP address blocking to the content server, making it harder for dictionary attacks to consume paid-for metered bandwidth.
  • As you said, the security impact of opening the LAN to bad guys.
  • And finally, connection methods that don't involve a calibre content server, such as the cloud, calibre-to-OPDS, and COPS.
However, if his solution works for him reliably over time then fine and dandy.

In order to avoid opening ports on my LAN, something I refuse to do, I use a commercial VPS (linode) to run the content server. Like you I also use Dropbox, which conveniently also syncs the library from my home net to my VPS.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert