Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
tcud03
tcud03 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX, Sony PRS-300BC
Sleep Mode

I just got the sony pocket ereader from woot (shoulda waited and got the touch edition but hindsight is a mother f****r) and i like it for using at work... only problem is that i do not specifically turn it off... it will stay on and drain the battery down to nothing... is there a way to enable a sleep more were after 10 minutes it shuts itself off? thanks
tcud03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
On my Sony PRS-505, there's a "sleep mode" option in the Settings menu. I don't know if the 300 has the same, but check and see; if it does, turn it on.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcud03 View Post
only problem is that i do not specifically turn it off... it will stay on and drain the battery down to nothing... is there a way to enable a sleep more were after 10 minutes it shuts itself off? thanks
I bought two from woot for my kids and they never specifically shut them down. There is a setting you can turn on that will put it in sleep mode after an hour.

The only difference between sleep mode and non-sleep mode is that in sleep mode the screen is blanked and the buttons are disabled. Power consumption is the same. E-ink is a bistable display, once the words are on the screen it doesn't need any power to keep them there.

But if it is not in sleep mode and a button is depressed and constantly inputting a signal then I would assume power usage would be higher.

You can enter sleep mode by using the switch on the top to blank the screen and disable the buttons.

I use a 505 and in the last 17 months I have only shut it down for a minute here and there other than that it has been on or in "sleep mode" the entire 17 months.

The only way I know to shut it down is via the menu. Maybe you can shut it down by prolonged position of a switch I don't know because it is not relevant to the proper care and feeding of either the 505 or the 300.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
dwanthny: It needs very, very, very little power. It does, however, consume power to display things on the screen. (Something like 1mW, if the wiki is right?)

You can shut the device down completely by holding the power switch until a "Shut down?" dialog appears on screen. Just sliding it over and letting go will switch you into sleep mode.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
dwanthny: It needs very, very, very little power. It does, however, consume power to display things on the screen. (Something like 1mW, if the wiki is right?)
You are correct, but whether it displays words or a blank screen it is using the same amount of power to display that state. Being in sleep mode prevents front panel input via the buttons. This prevents a source of power usage by accidentally having a button depressed while the cover is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
You can shut the device down completely by holding the power switch until a "Shut down?" dialog appears on screen. Just sliding it over and letting go will switch you into sleep mode.
I guessed that the 300 like the 505 most likely used the same technique to shut it down. I've been using hacks so long I wasn't sure what was normal anymore.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert