Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Question Calibre shuts down after opening

Having been a prolific user of Calibre for many years, I am somewhat perturbed to find that I cannot open it. The program shuts down as soon as the flash screen shows up.
I am using the latest version
I am using it on Windows10 64 bit
I have uninstalled it completely using Revo uninstaller and re-installed it twice
I have gone back to a restore point on Windows 10 two weeks prior when it was working OK

The upshot is that I now do not have access to my library of ePub and Kindle books.

Can anyone out there assist me please

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What AV are you using? If it's not Windows Security, stop it from running as it could be causing the problem.

If that's not it, rename the configuration directory and run Calibre. If it works, something in your configuration directory is the problem.

If neither works, try safe mode.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
It's not just minimizing to the task bar, is it?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
daxbr
daxbr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle1, kindle7
Stopped updating years ago and it still works strong.
daxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What AV are you using? If it's not Windows Security, stop it from running as it could be causing the problem.

If that's not it, rename the configuration directory and run Calibre. If it works, something in your configuration directory is the problem.

If neither works, try safe mode.
It is running Windows Security

I don't know what you mean by rename the configuration directory, I assume its not something I do from within Calibre, because I cant open it

safe mode makes no difference, it still wont run
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...s-occasionally
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:44 AM   #7
Onemack
Groupie

Thanks Kovid,
I am a little further advanced, but I seem to have lost all my books.
The message in safe mode was

"The library database at C:\Users\John's\Onedrive\Documents\Calbre Library appears to be corrupted. Do you want calibre to try and rebuild it automatically? The rebuild may not be completely successful. If you say No, a new empty calibre library will be created."

I said Yes and then got the following message

"Restoring database failed ... Traceback (most recent call last): ... Fail "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line129, in run Exception: Something bad happened"

So I went back and tried again but clicked No this time and got a fully functioning calibre, but with no books.

Have I lost then forever I know they exist in the cloud somewhere! What to do next?? apart from panic???
Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 AM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemack View Post
Thanks Kovid,

"The library database at C:\Users\John's\Onedrive\Documents\Calbre Library appears to be corrupted. Do you want calibre to try and rebuild it automatically? The rebuild may not be completely successful. If you say No, a new empty calibre library will be created."

"Restoring database failed ... Traceback (most recent call last): ... Fail "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line129, in run Exception: Something bad happened"

So I went back and tried again but clicked No this time and got a fully functioning calibre, but with no books.

Have I lost then forever I know they exist in the cloud somewhere! What to do next?? apart from panic???
Here is your problem:
The library database at C:\Users\John's\Onedrive\Documents\Calbre Library

DO NOT put your library on onedrive.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas

You need to search your onedrive for your books, I always disable onedrive.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
And chalk up another "but it worked for years" person who finally had the NAS/Cloud come back and bite them.

I would have thought that a prolific user would have been aware of this issue already. It does make me wonder how many users of calibre, prolific or otherwise, ever check out the forums?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemack View Post
Thanks Kovid,

Make sure your new library is your local hard drive, and then import books from the OneDrive location. You will have lost any metadata changes you made in calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
And chalk up another "but it worked for years" person who finally had the NAS/Cloud come back and bite them.

I would have thought that a prolific user would have been aware of this issue already. It does make me wonder how many users of calibre, prolific or otherwise, ever check out the forums?
Or read the FAQ?
(Remember when installation disks also had 'README' files? FAQ and MR forum stickies should be the first things read when looking for a new app )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice to have helpful suggestions for the OP, rather than more posts pointing out where they went wrong.

For example, does anyone know if it could be possible to recover a corrupt calibre database with third-party tools?
Old 09-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It would be nice to have helpful suggestions for the OP, rather than more posts pointing out where they went wrong.

For example, does anyone know if it could be possible to recover a corrupt calibre database with third-party tools?
The OP might try moving (copy) the entire Library folder to a locally attached (USB or built in) drive, then start Calibre with the option
Quote:
calibre.exe --with-library

Use the library located at the specified path.
Then run the maintenance (if the original, DB exists or do the Recover process using the CLI

calibre-debug [options]
--reinitialize-db

Re-initialize the sqlite calibre database at the specified path. Useful to recover from db corruption.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #14
Onemack
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Make sure your new library is your local hard drive, and then import books from the OneDrive location. You will have lost any metadata changes you made in calibre.
Thanks for that advice, at least I now know how to proceed.

It is far better to receive clear concise useful advice like that, than it is to receive carping, holier than though, advice from people who lecture from on high, as to what I ought have done, or should have known, or should have read.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:42 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Do try what theducks suggests. They are far more familiar with calibre than me.