Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Problem embedding font

I followed the instructions @ https://www.datalogics.com/blog/eboo...-an-epub-file/

I inserted this in my style sheet:

@font-face {
font-family: “Georgia.otf”;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(“../Fonts/Georgia.otf”);
}
body { font-family: “Georgia.otf”, serif; }

My untrained eyes probably can't even detect the difference between Georgia and Times, so I exported it as a PDF. I then opened it in Acrobat and navigated to File > Properties > Fonts. It lists the same fonts as before, with no mention of Georgia.

I verified that there are FOUR Georgia fonts (including bold, italics, etc.) in my Fonts folder.

What am I doing wrong?
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
How did you export it as PDF (and are you certain that process should result in the embedded fonts being included in said PDF)?

Change the Sigil Preview font to something that differs quite drastically from the font you're embedding. Then instead of applying the embedded font to the body element, assign it to certain classes of spans and/or divs. Then you should be able to easily see if your fonts are embedded properly.

And if you're truly using typographic quotes in your css--don't.

You also need to create an @fontface rule for EACH of the four font-files (adjusting the properties for font-weight, font-style and the src url accordingly). The font-family name needs to be identical for all four font font-files.

Then when you get it working, consider not using embedded fonts for the body text in your epub. There's many reasons it's a bad idea (besides the legal issues you'd run into for distributing the Georgia font with your epub).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-11-2020 at 10:54 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
.../...
body { font-family: “Georgia.otf”, serif; }
.../....

I verified that there are FOUR Georgia fonts (including bold, italics, etc.) in my Fonts folder.

What am I doing wrong?
I would write:
Code:
font-family:"Georgia";
and as said DiapDealer, you'll need to insert a @font-face declaration for each of the four fonts.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:19 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've attached an epub with 2 embedded fonts (a version of Georgia which is supposedly a free version and the old Mozilla Fira Sans fonts.) You should see 4 lines in Georgia and 4 lines in Fira Sans which should be easy to separate.
Attached Files
File Type: epub fonttest.epub (1.38 MB, 260 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:21 AM   #5
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tips. I'll bet part of my problem is that I copied the CSS code literally. I thought it looked kind of strange, but I've never coded for new fonts before.

Anyway, I'll give it another try when I get off work in the morning.
Advert
Old 06-12-2020, 06:45 AM   #6
SigilBear
Banned

Wow, that worked beautifully. My PDF file originally had the fonts Helvetica, Seravek and Times. Now it has Helvetica, Seravek and Georgia. I thought it would have Times and Georgia side by side, but Georgia apparently replaced Times.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:02 AM   #7
SigilBear
Banned

"You also need to create an @fontface rule for EACH of the four font-files (adjusting the properties for font-weight, font-style and the src url accordingly). The font-family name needs to be identical for all four font font-files."

I was to ask how to do that, but I tried it first with just this code:

@font-face {
font-family: Georgia;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/Georgia.otf);
}
body { font-family: Georgia, serif; }

And all the bold text and italics display fine.

"Then when you get it working, consider not using embedded fonts for the body text in your epub. There's many reasons it's a bad idea (besides the legal issues you'd run into for distributing the Georgia font with your epub)."

I just wanted to create a PDF file that I could use to promote my book. I figured it would be easier to send a PDF file as an e-mail attachment than six different ePub versions, hoping one would work with whatever epub reader the recipient uses.

But so far, I haven't specified any font families in any of my epubs. Serif appears to be the default, so I just style certain elements to display as sans-serif. My understanding is that Kindle and most other epub readers use custom fonts - or let users choose their font.

But if I want to sell a PDF version of my book, then I have to purchase a license to use Georgia? I'll have to look into that. I did some research on digital rights management (DRM), and it looks like a lost cause. E-junkie has some process for watermarking PDF files, and I'm wondering if that might be the best way to go.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But if I want to sell a PDF version of my book, then I have to purchase a license to use Georgia? I'll have to look into that.
I can't swear that you'd have to license that particular font. I can only assure you that the licensing/distribution of embedded, copyrighted font-files (for any ebook format) is something that is ignored at the ebook creator/distributor's own peril. Some require a license to embed, some don't. Some licensing requirements can be circumvented by obfuscation and/or subsetting. It's a mess that's best avoided altogether in my opinion. Especially by dabblers in the market.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:48 AM   #9
SigilBear
Banned

Ah, I just found an interesting article @ https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2013...-use-my-fonts/

It says if you're subscribed to Adobe Cloud (which includes Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.), you can legally use their fonts in an epub. That rang a bell; I think I remember reading that long ago.

I'm a little confused regarding which fonts are part of my Mac operating system versus which ones belong to Adobe. However, I assume that anything I access via Photoshop is an Adobe font.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Ah, I just found an interesting article @ https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2013...-use-my-fonts/

It says if you're subscribed to Adobe Cloud (which includes Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.), you can legally use their fonts in an epub. That rang a bell; I think I remember reading that long ago.

I'm a little confused regarding which fonts are part of my Mac operating system versus which ones belong to Adobe. However, I assume that anything I access via Photoshop is an Adobe font.
You can access OS fonts as well in Photoshop. So your assumption is not correct.

If you subscribe to Adobe Cloud and embed one of the Adobe fonts, do you have to remove that font wen you no longer subscribe to Adobe Cloud?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #11
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can access OS fonts as well in Photoshop. So your assumption is not correct.

If you subscribe to Adobe Cloud and embed one of the Adobe fonts, do you have to remove that font wen you no longer subscribe to Adobe Cloud?
Hmmm...good question. I guess I'd best post a question on Adobe's forum.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Quote:
Once upon a time when I was doing pre-press in advertising agency there was a trick to keep separated fonts for Adobe applications and system fonts.
In order for some fonts to be visible only for Adobe programs you had to copy them to adobe\fonts folder somewhere in Adobe installation tree.
So, it is possible to have font in Adobe Photoshop, and be without it Microsoft Word.
I do not know about opposite.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font, sigil