Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Calibre not properly quitting when I reboot Windows?

If I reboot my computer (Windows 10 Home, just updated to v. 2004) while Calibre is running in the system tray, when it starts back up I get a message from Job Spy telling me that it deactivated my tag browser icons because Calibre shut down improperly.

Does anybody else have this issue? I reported it in Launchpad but I don't think Kovid was able to replicate it.

ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do what I do. Close Calibre before a reboot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why would JobSpy even know about Tag Browser icons, is there a per library tweak for them?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Why would JobSpy even know about Tag Browser icons, is there a per library tweak for them?

BR
Because it's a Job Spy feature. Job Spy menu > Look and Feel > Customize User Category Tag Browser Icons.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-16-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:39 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said JS needs a find. But why not report the issue in the JS thread? It might elicit an answer to your id matrix issue.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If I reboot my computer (Windows 10 Home, just updated to v. 2004) while Calibre is running in the system tray, when it starts back up I get a message from Job Spy telling me that it deactivated my tag browser icons because Calibre shut down improperly.

Does anybody else have this issue? I reported it in Launchpad but I don't think Kovid was able to replicate it.

This is not "an issue". An information message from JS telling you something is clearly intentional.

Calibre has a standard protocol for shutting down plugins, which Job Spy uses to keep track of whether Calibre was shut down gracefully (properly).

Turning off the OS while Calibre is still running is not "graceful".

Since several of the JS GUI Tools dig deep into the guts of Calibre via monkey-patching, it is conceivable that a future version of Calibre will break one or more of those JS GUI Tools such that Calibre would not be able to start up without first deactivating said Tool. Hence, JS automatically deactivates those few Tools if Calibre was not gracefully shut down the previous time so that both you know something went wrong, and Calibre starts normally with no issues.

Your intentionally making the OS kill Calibre is included in "something went wrong" as far as a few GUI Tools are concerned.

You can either exit Calibre properly, or quit using that particular JS GUI Tool you are using that complains. Your choice.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

When I shut down Windows, most other programs shut down gracefully (in fact, Windows sometimes hangs on the shutdown screen because it can't get certain programs to shut down gracefully). I just found it strange that Calibre itself didn't do that.

I try to remember to close Calibre before rebooting but sometimes I forget or Windows Update does a reboot when I'm away from the desk.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-17-2020 at 01:25 PM.