Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #361
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Having something else hogging the port works, AFAICT (but I haven't checked very carefully, as I hog that port with a... passwordless telnet server behind an inetd ).
Scaledish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #362
ICDeadPpl
Enthusiast
ICDeadPpl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Does the "files:" section allow for adding files to the FAT32 partition where one puts the ".adds" and ".addons" directories for MiniClock etc?
Seems like my "../kobopatch-custom/root/addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg: .addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg" doesn't add the file there. Does it end up on the Linux partition?
ICDeadPpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #363
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDeadPpl View Post
Does the "files:" section allow for adding files to the FAT32 partition where one puts the ".adds" and ".addons" directories for MiniClock etc?
Seems like my "../kobopatch-custom/root/addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg: .addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg" doesn't add the file there. Does it end up on the Linux partition?
I haven't tested this myself but if you're trying to write to the Kobo's user-accessible partition I think you might need to prefix your .addons destination e.g.
Code:
mnt/onboard/.addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #364
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, @jackie_w's right (otherwise, this ends up in the rootfs, which is definitely not what you want ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #365
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
kobopatch v0.15.1

This is a minor release which improves the CSS detection heuristic and updates my GitHub username.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #366
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
This feels like a stupid question, but every time I look I cannot find it.

Is there a page with an overview of the various patches and what they do? I've been to the github repo a few times and seen release notes that reference individual ones, and seen them referenced in threads here, but I can't seem to find a nice and easy to follow list to browse through to see if I'd want to install any of them.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #367
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
This feels like a stupid question, but every time I look I cannot find it.

Is there a page with an overview of the various patches and what they do? I've been to the github repo a few times and seen release notes that reference individual ones, and seen them referenced in threads here, but I can't seem to find a nice and easy to follow list to browse through to see if I'd want to install any of them.
The best description is in the patches themselves (there's more comments than there used to be). If you want a bit more context, almost all new patches since I took over are in the request thread.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #368
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@twowheels,

Just to expand a bit on what @geek1011 said ...

Every patch is contained in one of four .yaml files. A .yaml file can be opened (and edited) with any decent text editor. If you're a Windows user I'd recommend Notepad++.

Every patch has a name (the first line) and a description, which is as detailed as the patch creator decided to make it. Inside the description some patches contain an url link to a Mobileread or a GitHub post which contains more detail and (sometimes) screenshots to help illustrate what the patch does.

Some patches are simple enough that all you need to decide is "do I want to enable this patch?", yes or no.

Other patches are more complex and have several options which allow you to customise some/all of the patch values to help meet your exact requirements. For these patches each option usually has some help notes written as comments (line starts with a hash # character) to give you hints about how to make your personal customisations.

Once you've read a patch's description and help notes, if it's still not clear, then you can always ask for clarification. I'm sure both @geek1011 and myself will consider improving the detail inside the patch if it's not adequate.

At the end of the day, though, kobopatching is hacking, so it's definitely an "engage brain" activity. Advanced technical skills are not necessary, but read-the-instructions skills are.

If you want to look at the kobopatch .yaml files you need to download the kobopatch zip file which corresponds to your current firmware, e.g. post #1, item 2 of this thread for fw 4.23.15505.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #369
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Yeah, thanks @jackie_w, I did end up reading the yaml files after posting my query -- I was just hoping for a page that had a description of the patches and the screenshots all in one place rather than having to go file by file and opening the URLs one by one -- it turns out that it wasn't that much to do manually, but I was hopeful.

In the end, I decided that there were no patches that felt like a game changer to me. I don't care much about how the home screen looks -- I spend so little time there, manage my books off-device, and only keep a half dozen or so max at any one time, so I don't care about a lot of the things that other people _really_ care about.

The one thing that I think I would like didn't seem to be there, which would be to decrease the time between sleep and front-light going off -- I'd like it to turn off nearly instantly like my Kindle did, but it stays on for 3-4 seconds.

EDIT: As for technical skills, editors, etc.. I use vim, always work from the terminal, I use git daily, etc... I just was trying to start w/ docs rather than delving directly into the code.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:48 PM   #370
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Yeah, thanks @jackie_w, I did end up reading the yaml files after posting my query -- I was just hoping for a page that had a description of the patches and the screenshots all in one place rather than having to go file by file and opening the URLs one by one -- it turns out that it wasn't that much to do manually, but I was hopeful.

In the end, I decided that there were no patches that felt like a game changer to me. I don't care much about how the home screen looks -- I spend so little time there, manage my books off-device, and only keep a half dozen or so max at any one time, so I don't care about a lot of the things that other people _really_ care about.

The one thing that I think I would like didn't seem to be there, which would be to decrease the time between sleep and front-light going off -- I'd like it to turn off nearly instantly like my Kindle did, but it stays on for 3-4 seconds.

EDIT: As for technical skills, editors, etc.. I use vim, always work from the terminal, I use git daily, etc... I just was trying to start w/ docs rather than delving directly into the code.
There is a thread someplace that has screenshots of what the patches do. It's not fully updates, but some of the patches shown are still valid. GeoffR created the thread. So have a search for threads with his name to try to find it. Some patches shown are obsolete or changed. And some patches are not shown as it was never kept updated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:02 AM   #371
kiranwayne
kiranwayne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
The file "libadobe.so.yaml" in kobopatch_4.24.15676\src does not have the "Keep PDF pan position" patch which was available in 4.15.12920.

Does anyone know if it was removed intentionally? Is there a way to enable the patch? Thanks.
kiranwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #372
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranwayne View Post
The file "libadobe.so.yaml" in kobopatch_4.24.15676\src does not have the "Keep PDF pan position" patch which was available in 4.15.12920.

Does anyone know if it was removed intentionally? Is there a way to enable the patch? Thanks.
@kirinwayne: Please do not double post. See Section 3 of the Guidelines:
Quote:
3. Duplication

Do not post the same discussion in more than one forum. Try to pick the most relevant forum for your post.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:50 AM   #373
kiranwayne
kiranwayne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
@kirinwayne: Please do not double post. See Section 3 of the Guidelines:
Apologies; I didn't see a way to delete or edit the post here after posting on the more appropriate thread.
kiranwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #374
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranwayne View Post
Apologies; I didn't see a way to delete or edit the post here after posting on the more appropriate thread.
After a while, you should see an edit button beside the quote button in the lower right hand corner of the message. It does not let you delete the message but you can change the content--"Message deleted, should have read entire thread before replying" is my personal favourite.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #375
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Any way to patch on a Chromebook?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb