Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The other advantage of using a separate long text column for a Notes column, is that you can edit it from the book list via F2, I mask the column with an icon that's only shown if the book has a Note.

BR
Good idea. I think I'll copy this. Question, how do you do the icon mask thing?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Good idea. I think I'll copy this. Question, how do you do the icon mask thing?
Preferences->Look and Feel->Column Icons (far right)

Here's my rule

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	966
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	162579

And the icon I use is attached.

BR
Attached Images

BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 12:23 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

Here's my rule

Attachment 162579

BR
Thanks! Big for the "far right". Apparently Column Icons was getting cut off from my menu and I wouldn't even notice the scroll thing without your note.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #19
jjquin
jjquin began at the beginning.

Device: Android - FBReader
Quote:

Here's my rule

Attachment 162579

BR
Thanks! Great Idea. I moved the Notes column to the end and replaced it with a slightly different icon since I'm using a Vertex-Dark theme in Linux. It's a png with a transparent background. Sticks out more on a black theme.

Again thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page2.png
Views:	319
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	162716  
jjquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #20
Angel Crawford
Enthusiast
Angel Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Hello first

My custom columns:
  • URLs (Column build from others) For Shops, Goodreads and more
  • Owner (Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values) With Icon rules. Values: no, paperbook, onleihe, readfy, ebook
  • Pages (Integers)
  • Shelves (Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the Tag browser) With Icon rules. Values: wishlist, read, to-read, currently-reading, tbr-dropped, tbr-maybe, tbr-maybe-or-not, tbr-unpublished
  • Genre (Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the Tag browser)
  • Started (Date)
  • Finished (Date)
  • Read update (Integers) In case by ebook reader broke.
  • Goodreads ID (Column build from others)
  • Edit (Yes/No) Sometimes I only add a Book, and don't want to polish it.
  • Lent on (Date)

In the Shelves Case, I want to make a "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values" Field out of it. I don't want a book on more than one shelf.
Currently switching from the List view to the Cover view, than I will change the field.
Angel Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #21
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Update:

I removed read and date read, and replaced them with times read, first read (date) and last read.

I've also added a Y/N column Lib for books I borrow from the library.

And I've added some columns relating to the Overdrive Link plugin - Od (#has_odid) for borrowed ebooks (Lib includes paper books), wait and wait update - for the expected wait time, and the date that was last updated.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #22
lazorbeam
Connoisseur
lazorbeam began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone; Fire HD
This seems like the group to ask. Is there a way to make Custom Column info more permanent? That is, to make it remain part of the metadata like title/author/tags when you have to restore or recreate your library? Just experienced this today and had to manually/batch re-add my Custom Column info.

And, to answer the thread question, I mostly do fanfic and I use a Characters, Fandom, and Words (Count Pages plugin). For actual published work, I use the tags for any genre, descriptive info.
lazorbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 AM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeam View Post
This seems like the group to ask. Is there a way to make Custom Column info more permanent? That is, to make it remain part of the metadata like title/author/tags when you have to restore or recreate your library? Just experienced this today and had to manually/batch re-add my
Press F1, then see Calibre User Manual->Frequently Asked Questions>Miscellaneous->How do I backup calibre?

If you do daily incremental backups to a USB drive or cloud storage, should only take a few moments.

BR
Old 03-12-2018, 03:09 AM   #24
Kyle Connor
Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read
Word Count & Pages
Subscription
Library/Type
Price AU
Source
Review
Genre
Kyle Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #25
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Press F1, then see Calibre User Manual->Frequently Asked Questions>Miscellaneous->How do I backup calibre?

If you do daily incremental backups to a USB drive or cloud storage, should only take a few moments.

BR
Thanks. I do have occasional backups and normally use them when I have to refresh Calibre. I was having a very strange error where everything was apparently corrupted. I ended up having to re-add all my books and it remembered most metadata - title, author, publisher/date, comments, series - but not one piece of custom column data.

The FAQ says it should have, but maybe it was because I wasn't able to select the existing library containing the metadata file and instead had to re-add my books. Maybe?

Your daily backups. Are you doing that manually or did you set up a program to run?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:13 AM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeam View Post
Thanks. I do have occasional backups and normally use them when I have to refresh Calibre. I was having a very strange error where everything was apparently corrupted. I ended up having to re-add all my books and it remembered most metadata - title, author, publisher/date, comments, series - but not one piece of custom column data.

The FAQ says it should have, but maybe it was because I wasn't able to select the existing library containing the metadata file and instead had to re-add my books. Maybe?

Your daily backups. Are you doing that manually or did you set up a program to run?
I use GoodSync to handle backup and restore of all my data. Nothing special for calibre, as far I'm concerned its just another bunch of folders and files. I co-locate, my libraries, configurations, autoadd folders, and other ebook related folders in a common root level directory on my data drive.

I run a Goodsync backup (one-way mirror) job via Windows Scheduler at Shut Down which I do every day. My daily backups are written to an external drive over USB 3.1. So, its pretty quick, not that it matters seeing as how I just did a Shut Down.

I also do a weekly backup to a remote FTP server, that's slower of course, a) because its over the wire and b) its a whole weeks worth of changes. I start that manually either late Sat evening or sometime on Sunday - my phone nags me until I confirm I done it already

Occasionally, if I'm about to do something 'out of the ordinary', I do a daily backup in the middle of the day - manually. FX I did one before I did a major reorg of my video collection a few weeks ago.

Restores are always manual. Hardware issues aside (head crash etc), I've never needed to recover more than a single book, or a related group of books (e.g. yesterdays uploads), and always because a blunder on my part.

And because my backups are mirror images, I can always 'point' calibre at the backup location via Library->Switch/Create.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-13-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #27
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
I use GoodSync to handle backup and restore of all my data. Nothing special for calibre, as far I'm concerned its just another bunch of folders and files. I co-locate, my libraries, configurations, autoadd folders, and other ebook related folders in a common root level directory on my data drive.

BR
Nice, thanks for all that info. I want to be better about backing up, especially the configs, etc. I think I will explore GoodSync.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
AndyW1691
AndyW1691 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Mac OSX
I use the Price, Pages (from Count Pages plugin) and Read? which is yes/no

Is there any way to centre the 'Read?' column?

Andy
AndyW1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW1691 View Post
Is there any way to centre the 'Read?' column?
Right click the 'Read" column header and set the alignment.

BR
Old 03-17-2018, 04:54 AM   #30
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Right click the 'Read" column header and set the alignment.

BR
I was wondering this as well. Thanks. But I can't find that option when I right click on the column. Is the Mac version different? Can you please show image?

Thanks,

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, custom columns, fields, metadata