Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
bigbird1227
Enthusiast
bigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kindle 3
Custom Columns do not appear when calibre restarted

I added a yes/no custom column and every time I restart calibre I have to go to preferences and set it to appear. How can I get it to appear without having to go through this step
bigbird1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
They always appear for me. Do you hit apply after you check the little box?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can Hide columns (even custom ones). Did you accidentaly remove the Tick next to its name?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
bigbird1227
Enthusiast
bigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavens

Here is what I do each time. I go to preferences>change calibre behavior>add your own columns, then place a tickmark in the column which appears as the last item. Then I move it to where I want it in the order, then I click apply and all is fine. If I close calibre I need to do all the steps over again each time. Thank god the data is always there.

Is it possible that the problem comes from having multiple libraries?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1227 View Post
Here is what I do each time. I go to preferences>change calibre behavior>add your own columns, then place a tickmark in the column which appears as the last item. Then I move it to where I want it in the order, then I click apply and all is fine.
Those are the correct steps.

Quote:
No. Columns are unique to each library, having multiple libraries shouldn't have any effect.

What OS are you running?
What version of calibre?
Is your library local or on the network?
Is your library in a dropbox or similar cloud folder? If so which cloud service.
Is your metadata.db file Read Only?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-09-2012 at 10:07 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Here is what I do each time. I go to preferences>change calibre behavior>add your own columns, then place a tickmark in the column which appears as the last item. Then I move it to where I want it in the order, then I click apply and all is fine. If I close calibre I need to do all the steps over again each time. Thank god the data is always there.

just to expand on DrOh
If you want a custom column in each Library, you need to create it in each library. Libraries are standalone and can be different.

Trick time (assumes you want to use the same structure)

Start in a Library that has the desired structure (columns)
on the Library Icon: Create/ Switch: Create an empty Library at the new location. Tick The box <-- Copy Structure... Give it a name (you can change that later)

Now switch to the Library you want to have those columns. (stay with me here)
:caution: for the next step. If you have some(different) existing columns in the other Library, those column NAME and type must be added to the new library ALSO before proceeding (switch to the New Library and add them, then switch back). Select All Books: Right-click: Copy to Library <new one>

What we did here was merged the old data into the new structure.

Verify all is good, then delete the Old Library FOLDER Using the OS (The delete on the Library Icon only deletes the Menu Link).
Now you can use the "Move Library..." to rename it if desired.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
bigbird1227
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Those are the correct steps.

No. Columns are unique to each library, having multiple libraries shouldn't have any effect.

What OS are you running?
What version of calibre?
Is your library local or on the network?
Is your library in a dropbox or similar cloud folder? If so which cloud service.
Is your metadata.db file Read Only?
running Windows 7
Calibre 9.5
Local library
metadata.db is not read only

Note I have over 30,000 quality books in the library metadata file size is 171,697

Can't seam to figure it out
tried exiting before changing position but no help

this is the first yes/no column I have used is I will try to add a different one and index it there to see if it happens again
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
this is the first yes/no column I have used is I will try to add a different one and index it there to see if it happens again
Out of curiosity what is the name of this column? Not the lookup/search name but the header.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
bigbird1227
Enthusiast

Quote:
Out of curiosity what is the name of this column? Not the lookup/search name but the header.
header is bs

tried adding another column with rating as numbers called bs2 and had the same result

is it possible the length of the column name needs to be at least 3 characters. I will try that next

lookup is yesno
Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
bigbird1227
Enthusiast

Quote:
made the name 6 characters and still no help
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Could you try creating your custom column and/or ticking it then create a new empty library with the copy structure option ticked, then open that to see if the column is there?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
made the name 6 characters and still no help
I just created a yes/no column titled bs with no problem retaining the column after restart. You could run Check library under library maintenance (drop down arrow next to library icon).

Can you currently add a book to this library?

I'm out of ideas. You could submit a bug report (learn how).

Good Luck.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
bigbird1227
Enthusiast

Quote:
I just created a yes/no column titled bs with no problem retaining the column after restart. You could run Check library under library maintenance (drop down arrow next to library icon).

Can you currently add a book to this library?

I'm out of ideas. You could submit a bug report (learn how).

Good Luck.
no problem adding books I will run a check library
Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
bigbird1227
Enthusiast

Interesting. I added the same column to another database and it worked fine. I did notice that when I added to the original database the default appearance was not check off (hidden) and when I added to the other database the default was checked off visible.

something is definitely off in the database I need to have the column in. I did a library check and it
Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
bigbird1227
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Could you try creating your custom column and/or ticking it then create a new empty library with the copy structure option ticked, then open that to see if the column is there?

Helen
I did that and the same thing happened. The column was in my preferences but was hidden and at the end of the list. When I set it up it was visible and and where I had placed it

I am at a loss