Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 05:24 AM   #151
Bolognie1
Bolognie1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Bolognie1: Nope, I did mean an *actual* reboot, not the "Importing content" process (which, granted should also happen, but only on a clean, first install).

Which tells me you're unpacking the wrong files in the wrong place.

TL;DR: use the script, it'll get it right.
Yep, idk something about the nature of the ereader makes me forget it is, in fact, a computer. It doesn't reboot intuitively I don't think, so once I turned the thing off and on again it seemed to work fine.

I ended up using the scripts just to make sure, but I kept installing everything again because I wasn't sure what exactly was going wrong.

But yeah, classic first troubleshooting step worked again
Bolognie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #152
i_suggest_this
i_suggest_this began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hello there, I'm a bit confused about how to proceed with the uninstall file. Do I just unzip everything inside kobo file system? I see a kfmon-uninstall.sh in the github project, but this file is not inside KoboRoot.tgz, so I don't really know what I am supposed to do.
i_suggest_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #153
i_suggest_this
i_suggest_this began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Can't edit my own post, but after reading this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=11 in seems that I had to unzip the uninstall.zip script into my .kobo folder. I removed by hand the koreader folder, but I don't know if I should remove kfmo folder too or directly purge the .add folder.
i_suggest_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:11 AM   #154
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@i_suggest_this: Yes, my uninstall scripts *never* touch user content, for obvious "it's not mine" reasons .

They only take care of whatever needed to be stashed away on inaccessible partitions.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #155
Gnoa
Gnoa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Very excited to try this. Unfortunately, the download links for the mac and linux scripts seen to be broken. I'm pretty sure this is the same script in the tools folder on github? Wanted to let you know though. Thank a ton!
Gnoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:14 AM   #156
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, so *that's* where those "you're using a deprecated endpoint" warnings were coming from . I kept wondering what I had forgotten to update...

Thanks, I'll fix the links (and, yeah, it's the exact same script, just in a zip to ensure it has the exec bit set ).

EDIT: Done, links should be okay now, thanks!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-21-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #157
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.3.3!

As usual, minor maintenance release, updated SQLite & FBInk, and made sure that the use_syslog daemon config would also send FBInk's output to the syslog.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #158
Marcoweb33
Marcoweb33 began at the beginning.

Hello,

I have got a Kobo Libra H2O and your launcher works very well on it.

The only problem I have is when I want to quit and go back to the Kobo interface, by clicking on the exit button at the bottom right : I get the following error message "[KFMON] Userstore unavailable, aborting!".

After a few seconds, the device reboot.

Did I do something wrong ?

Is it possible to return directly to the Kobo interface without rebooting ?

Regards.
Marcoweb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #159
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Marcoweb33:

Err, exiting *what*, and how?

(That KFMon status message implies something actually *requested* a reboot. Irrelevant technical quirk about that specific message: it's a heuristic. It may or may not happen on *every* reboot. Also applies to shutdowns. (i.e., there may be false negatives, but never false positives).).
Old 04-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #160
Marcoweb33

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to be more clear : when I am in KFMon menu with the list of all apps (I use the apps given with pbchess - vlasovsoft) and I want to go back to Kobo interface, I use the "quit" button at the bottom right (an icon with a door and arrow).

Then I have the message "[KFMON] Userstore unavailable, aborting!" and the Kobo reader start from beginning (same sequence as when I start my device) : I see the message "KFMon successfuly etc." at the bottom and the 3 dots blinking after that ; I consider this, perhaps wrongly, as a complete restart.

On the contrary, when I use Koreader and I quit for Kobo interface, I don't have any error message, and I only have the 3 dots klinking but not the message about the loading of KFMon.

Regards.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #161
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Marcoweb33:

Ah. That's not KFMon. KFMon has no UI. It just links the action of tapping a specific 'book' in Nickel to launching a specific script.

So you must be talking about the pbchess thingy's UI, which I have no experience with whatsoever. (i.e., find where this thing is actually supported and get help there ).
It's quite likely it was never designed to ever restart Nickel on exit, because doing that right is trickier than it ought to be.

----

That's because as I mentioned earlier, that message indeed implies that the device is doing a real cold reboot, you're not wrong about that, that's exactly what's happening .

And that doesn't happen with KOReader or Plato, because they're designed to restart Nickel (mostly) properly on exit when launched via KFMon.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-03-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #162
Marcoweb33

Merci bien !

Sorry for the inconvenience, I'll try with vlasovsoft support.

Regards.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #163
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
Failing to reinstall KFMon

Not sure what happens, I believe I did it several times before, but probably this time missed some point. I've downloaded KFMon-v1.3.3.zip and unpacked it to my Kobo's usb root, replacing all the existing items. However, I don't see KoboRoot.tgz there. So when I disconnect my Kobo and even restart it, the Koreader icon just opens as a big pic, without launching Koreader.

What do I do wrong?
TIA
petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:42 PM   #164
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
Not sure what happens, I believe I did it several times before, but probably this time missed some point. I've downloaded KFMon-v1.3.3.zip and unpacked it to my Kobo's usb root, replacing all the existing items. However, I don't see KoboRoot.tgz there. So when I disconnect my Kobo and even restart it, the Koreader icon just opens as a big pic, without launching Koreader.

What do I do wrong?
TIA
KoboRoot.tgz should wind up in the .kobo directory. Anywhere else, it's just a waste of space.

When you safely eject your Kobo, it should return to the normal GUI for a few seconds then install the KoboRoot.tgz and then reboot.

Looking at KFMon-v1.3.3.zip file and assuming you have no remnants from a previous install, you should see 2 new directories ( icons and .adds) and two new files (koreader.png and kfmon.png) in the root directories. If you look in the .kobo directory, you should see several directories and files, one of which should be KoboRoot.tgz.

If you are on a Unix style OS (Linux, Mac OSX), you will have to enable displaying hidden files/directories ( they start with a . ).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:43 PM   #165
NiLuJe
BLAM!

What @DNSB just said .

As an alternative, the install script will handle a plain KFMon install zip just fine.

Tags
fmon, kfmon, kobo, launcher