Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #136
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Looks like it's back up to 5.10.1.1 now. I wonder if they changed anything?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201605570
No, it is KT2, not PW3.

Hashes md5 for old and new update files for KOA2 are the same.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #137
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
No, it is KT2, not PW3.

Hashes md5 for old and new update files for KOA2 are the same.
I'm sorry, you're right. I picked the Kindle Basic (7th Gen) update. I guess I just zeroed in on "7th Generation." (I'll edit the other post.)

Meanwhile the download link is still available for the 7th Generation Paperwhite 3 at:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...e_5.10.1.1.bin

But there may be a reason why they're not listing it on the update page?

Last edited by rcentros; 11-15-2018 at 02:41 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #138
khron
khron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/PW2/Voyage + Kobo Glo
hmm... firmware 5.10.1.1 is back up for
voyage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201630670
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...e_5.10.1.1.bin
and pw2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201307450
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...2_5.10.1.1.bin
... but I don't have old files so I cannot check if hash is different

I'll download them and try to "update" both my kindles

[edit] I was able to re-update both readers with new (?) frimware but I forgot to check build numbers before update, if they would change, oh well, at least both are still working

Last edited by khron; 11-15-2018 at 03:43 PM.
khron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #139
rosemaryknits
rosemaryknits began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilon View Post
Seems it's once again available for download. I wonder what happen. I would expect a new version with a different minor number if there was a bug.

It looks like it is exactly the same bin file (binary compared).
I have been having hellacious trouble with 5.10.1.1 which I installed on my PW2 6th gen about a month ago. I couldn't download and open any docs from my cloud. I couldn't "send to paperwhite" from my cloud. (the sending function worked fine, I just couldn't open the doc on my paperwhite - I could open on my fire, and also in kindle apps on my phone and ipod) I had numerous freezes which could only be solved by a hard reset (hold the button 40+ seconds through several screen whiteouts)

I wanted to cry

I noticed that 5.10.1.1 has been put back up on Amazon's website, so I decided, "what the heck, lemme try," and I reinstalled it. I know it makes no sense, but I did it anyway.

The paperwhite went through the whole "installing new software" rigamarole, and voila - MY FRIEND IS BACK.

I can download and open docs from my cloud by clicking on a title listed in the paperwhite screen.

I can "send to kindle" (chrome extension) - which hasn't worked for me for over two weeks.

I can go to amazon.com/myk and send docs to my paperwhite from my cloud.

I couldn't do any of these things just 15 minutes ago.

I know it doesn't make sense, but it still works. I'm a happy camper!

Last edited by rosemaryknits; 11-18-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: clarification of a point
rosemaryknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #140
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Glad to hear that the “new” 5.10.1.1 fixed the issue for you. Personally I think they should have released it as 5.10.1.3 to indicate a change, but I suppose they didn’t because there is no reason to update unless you had a problem with the original version of the update.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #141
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
To Amazon's defense, they are a lot more proactive than Kobo is about botched updates. Every FW update from Kobo fixes something and introduces new features (aka bugs). If you want those new bugs fixed, wait for next update. Amazon stopped the 5.10.1.x update - now you need to go out of your way to install it. Radio silence can prevent mass hysteria.
Except that in case of problems, if you have a Kobo you can actually downgrade to a previous firmware version with no ill effects and no loss of data.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #142
khron
khron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/PW2/Voyage + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Except that in case of problems, if you have a Kobo you can actually downgrade to a previous firmware version with no ill effects and no loss of data.
when you have kobo you can actually install community fixes
khron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #143
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemaryknits View Post
I have been having hellacious trouble with 5.10.1.1 which I installed on my PW2 6th gen about a month ago. I couldn't download and open any docs from my cloud. I couldn't "send to paperwhite" from my cloud. (the sending function worked fine, I just couldn't open the doc on my paperwhite - I could open on my fire, and also in kindle apps on my phone and ipod) I had numerous freezes which could only be solved by a hard reset (hold the button 40+ seconds through several screen whiteouts)

I wanted to cry

I noticed that 5.10.1.1 has been put back up on Amazon's website, so I decided, "what the heck, lemme try," and I reinstalled it. I know it makes no sense, but I did it anyway.

The paperwhite went through the whole "installing new software" rigamarole, and voila - MY FRIEND IS BACK.

I can download and open docs from my cloud by clicking on a title listed in the paperwhite screen.

I can "send to kindle" (chrome extension) - which hasn't worked for me for over two weeks.

I can go to amazon.com/myk and send docs to my paperwhite from my cloud.

I couldn't do any of these things just 15 minutes ago.

I know it doesn't make sense, but it still works. I'm a happy camper!
I have the same issue with my Oasis2 since that new update, not being able to open anything docs or send them and if I try, it makes it so nothing can be downloaded including samples and amazon books. So I am going to give this a try if they have put up that software again for the O2. I'll have to check.

eta: nope, didn't work for me. Still locks up when trying to open a doc for like 2 minutes and then I couldn't even connect to wifi, which I don't recall happening on this device.
Restarting again and setting back to books only. Hopefully this didn't completely mess it up now.

Last edited by Atunah; 11-19-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #144
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
My Oasis auto-updated to the since pulled firmware and as part of that it wiped all books from the device, I had to redownload everything. Got it working in the end, although reading more comments here about people not being able to download books fro the cloud made me want to comment here.

I also had difficulty downloading /some/ books from the cloud. When i pressed on them on the Kindle it said it was downloading but then it either just sat at Download Complete status or Queued status. This was only personal documents, all purchased content was fine. I had to delete from my library altogether via the website and then resend these books from Calibre.

The new firmware hasnt been reissued on the Oasis 2 yet, so I cannot reinstall and see if this fixes that. I still have a number of personal documents in this condition
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #145
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
The download page lists 5.10.1.1 as the latest firmware download for the Oasis 2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202200380
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #146
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
The download page lists 5.10.1.1 as the latest firmware download for the Oasis 2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202200380
Ah, thanks. I was looking at the 8th generation, so the original Oasis by accident.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #147
Robmonster
Wizard!

I've just re-updated to this version and still have problems downloading certain Personal Documents. They Show the downloading percentage, sit at Download Compete for a few seconds then return to Queued status and never go anywhere.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #148
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
really curious what changed with 5.10.1.1 - on my Voyage, I flashed to it when it came out - the build number was 3358230034 (assuming the number after the version in settings is the build number) - it was pulled from the Amazon site for a while, but is now back - downloaded it this morning and reflashed - the build number is the same - (3358230034) - I wonder if for other versions of the Kindle the build number changed, or if they updated it without changing the build number? I had no issues with the "old" version, I was just curious.
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #149
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Hi guys ^_^
Has amazon been fooling PW3's owners around?? In your opinion.
I can't understand what's going on here.. first, they make the version available for my device too. Then they misteriously take that off, and finally it returns for every kindle except mine (PW 3, 7° gen.).
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #150
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
as amazon been fooling PW3's owners around?? In your opinion.
I can't understand what's going on here.. first, they make the version available for my device too. Then they misteriously take that off, and finally it returns for every kindle except mine (PW 3, 7° gen.).
The update was taken down for all devices and then restored for most but not all. It is currently not available for the original Oasis and PW3 models. Amazon did not reveal why so all we can do is speculate.

In my opinion that sequence of events indicates that Amazon discovered that there was a major problem with the update during the rollout and pulled it. Further investigation then revealed the problem to be confined to only a couple of Kindle models so the firmware was reinstated for all except those.

At this point I would hold off updating a device with firmware that Amazon seems to think is not good to run on that device. I suspect that those devices will be left out of the current update cycle and will have to wait for the next one. At the typical pace that should come out sometime in January. However Amazon might accelerate it to bring all of the recent models back in sync with the same firmware version.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-23-2018 at 10:11 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote