Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
naughtysnake
naughtysnake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Question regarding Paperwhite 3 touch sensitivity

Hey guys! New member here; It's a pleasure to be a part of this helpful community.

Onto my topic: I'd like to ask about your thoughts on the Paperwhite 3 screen touch sensitivity.

I feel like it's a bit... insensitive to touch? I can only compare this to a smartphone/tablet sensitivity and I can comprehend that these latter devices would understandably be much more sensitive to touch than a Kindle, but I feel like this issue could be a device malfunction on my side.

So, when I barely touch the device (e.g.: tap to go forward), it won't register. If I press a bit harder with my fingertip, it does register. If I touch the device, let's say, with my knucke joint (little conductive surface), it doesn't register either.

This seems to happen consistently on all the surface of the screen: not just some random portion of it.

So any thoughts? Can I consider this normal behavior? Notice that it's not bothersome in any way, but simply weird.

Thanks for the help!
naughtysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A capacitive touchscreen operates using the conductivity of your skin, so there has to be some reasonable area of skin in contact with the screen in order for it to work. You do need to do more than merely brush it to achieve that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
naughtysnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A capacitive touchscreen operates using the conductivity of your skin, so there has to be some reasonable area of skin in contact with the screen in order for it to work. You do need to do more than merely brush it to achieve that.
Hey,

You are right, I know how these screens work, but I was curious as to why its capacitive screen would be less sensitive compared to a smartphone's capacitive screen. Or even if my device's behavior would be normal bearing this in mind.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Without trying it myself, it's difficult to say whether your device is behaving abnormally, but I think they're deliberately set up to be less than "hair-trigger" sensitive to avoid inadvertent page turns. Do you know anybody else who owns a Kindle that you could try and see if it behaves differently to yours?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
naughtysnake

Quote:
Without trying it myself, it's difficult to say whether your device is behaving abnormally, but I think they're deliberately set up to be less than "hair-trigger" sensitive to avoid inadvertent page turns. Do you know anybody else who owns a Kindle that you could try and see if it behaves differently to yours?
Not sure. I think my girlfriend's room mate has a PW. I'll ask.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If it's any help, my Oasis needs a definite "press" on the touchscreen. Just brushing it with my finger won't trigger the touchscreen.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
naughtysnake

Quote:
If it's any help, my Oasis needs a definite "press" on the touchscreen. Just brushing it with my finger won't trigger the touchscreen.
It brings some confort, indeed! Thanks, Harry.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtysnake View Post
So, when I barely touch the device (e.g.: tap to go forward), it won't register. If I press a bit harder with my fingertip, it does register. If I touch the device, let's say, with my knucke joint (little conductive surface), it doesn't register either.
You might try swiping to turn pages instead of tapping. I found tapping problematic although it's been so long I don't really recall what problems I had. Anyway years ago I began to swipe instead and the problems went away.

There used to be long discussions about tapping vs swiping but I don't see much of that anymore.

Swiping uses the direction of the swipe instead of it's location to determine which way to turn the page.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
I agree that swiping seems to take less "intentionality" than tapping, in my experience at least.

I also wonder if there is something about the glossy glass of a smartphone. That glass tends to "grab" your finger more or something, aiding the capacitive connection. The more matte surface of Kindle devices requires a tiny bit more effort.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #10
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
For what it's worth, I find it more sensitive than the one on Kobo h2o & Aura one.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have two Paperwhites right now. I have to touch the screen to get a page forward or a page back. I cannot touch it too lightly for it to work. I went through some other actions such as checking a word in the dictionary and bringing up the menu bar and going to the font controls and again I couldn't touch it too lightly. I did have to touch it though.

I found this to be the same on both of my Paperwhites.

For purposes of testing, I did clean both screens about ten days ago and I just took a shower so my fingers should be as clean as they ever are.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The PPW1 had that hair trigger effect. It annoys my Mom, but not enough to stop using it. I have recently acquired refurbished, both a PP2 and PP3 and they don't have that hair trigger going on (basically your experience). I would suspect it was a problem for some people which is why they made it a little less sensitive. FWIW, age and use will slow down even Ithings over time. Neither of my Itouches are as sensitive as they were when first purchased, but in general, that is not annoying.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #13
naughtysnake

Guys,

Just for your information: I gave my Kindle back to Amazon and decided to completely get rid of it. After a few days, I got my money back and noticed the PW3 had gone on a crazy sale with a leather case and a charger, and decided to give it another chance (for the sake of reading convenience and also because I'd be saving around 50€ but with a better case and the charger I hadn't bought before).

Now my new PW3 seems to be much, much, much more responsive --so I guess there are different levels of sensitivity among devices--, but the light at the bottom of the screen is a tiny bit darker than the one of my previous Kindle (not very bothering to me).

I'm happier now with my new Kindle, but I guess you can't have it all with these models.

Cheers.

Last edited by naughtysnake; 02-10-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Tags
issue, paperwhite 3, screen sensitivity