Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
...it seems that the decline in used paper book stores is real, but that ebooks are not the sole cause of the decline.
Yeah, I know more people that just don't read at all for pleasure than I do people who switched from paper to ebooks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I know more people that just don't read at all for pleasure than I do people who switched from paper to ebooks.
Ah, but did they stop, or had just never read for pleasure?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #33
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Same here. I've gotten rid of a lot of them, but I've still got books stored in boxes (in the garage) that I never read. I do the same with eBooks. But I also read a lot of books during the time.
exactly - and I buy more ebooks in bundles than I can have time to read
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Ah, but did they stop, or had just never read for pleasure?
The ones that I am thinking of just stopped. Though I do also have friends that never read for pleasure.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #35
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Interesting question. Book reading has declined across the board affecting both physical books and e-books so e-books aren't the culprit. I would say Amazon has probably impacted the 2nd hand book market the most.

There are quite a few second hand bookstores near me but none can compete with Amazon on selection or price. On the rare occasion when I do buy a physical book, it's usually a specific title that's not available as an e-book and can be located more easily on Amazon than the random collection at the used bookstore.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #36
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I would say Amazon has probably impacted the 2nd hand book market the most.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Why traipse around physical stores, when you can find what you want online with a few clicks?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #37
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I was asked by a reporter for my thoughts on sex education in junior high. My response was, "I think it should be in grammar school. If they taught sex the same way they teach reading by the time kids reached puberty they wouldn't want to do it."

I was involved in a reading improvement program for adults, all were high school graduates, who were functionally illiterate. After the program, some of the students could read faster and, more importantly, easier and they started reading for both work and pleasure.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #38
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I would say Amazon has probably impacted the 2nd hand book market the most.
I agree with Paul.

I used to roam the used book stores in nearby cities to find my next 'good' (used) read. First, the selection began to dwindle. Then the Stores closed (mainly due to high rent).
With the easy availability, of low cost INDY books, in a single location(the big A) ... Why bother driving (our public transit is lousy)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #39
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I went into the local Books A Million and had to look twice before I saw any books. As I browsed I saw that they are now selling used books mixed in with the new stock. They have a tag on them saying used. They have both hard and paper back used books. They are also selling used music CDs, used movie DVDs and used comics. I wonder if they are going to start selling used greeting cards next? I guess ths will be another hit to the mom and pop used bookstores and music stores.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #40
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Why traipse around physical stores, when you can find what you want online with a few clicks?
I guess it depends on how close the used book stores are. If they are within walking distance, then shopping at them can be part of getting out of the house for a break/exercise. Finding something you weren't looking for is just as much fun as finding something you were looking for. There is a social aspect to the visit if you've gone often enough. You keep the money you spent local to your area. You also don't have to pay shipping fees, which I've noticed are often being used to lower the price of books bought online (i.e. raise the shipping cost by the amount you lower the book price). There are lots of good reasons to shop in a physical used book store.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should go back to used book stores, I'm just saying that they are not without advantages.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #41
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The used book stores in Louisville KY are in a great area of other shops and restaurants. It's very much a social thing as well as part of what makes the city so much fun. If you can stand the high summer temps and humidity levels.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should go back to used book stores, I'm just saying that they are not without advantages.
I've got a daughter who absolutely will not use an eReader. She buys a quite a few used paperbacks online. Every now and then she'll pick one up at the local Half Price Book Store.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #43
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I think it's strange. It seems everything went bust somewhere in the 80's.

Since the 80's...
- People have gotten heavier, even though there's more healthy food available than ever.
- Reading has been dropping, but the number of writers and published books per year is staggering.
- Playing a musical instrument for fun has dropped a great deal, even though, for most instruments, there are more manufacturers and more options than ever.
- Sports has dropped, even though more people than ever are a member of a sports club and/or fitness center.

I don't understand. How can the usage / activity of basically everything be dropping and dropping in the stats for 30 hears, while there are _MORE_ options to pursue these activities than ever before?

And, every time, I hate being in a bookstore. My vision is poor. I can't read the spines without taking down the books. I never browse for something to read; I always know exactly what I want. Therefore I bought over a thousand e-books with the huge Kobo discount coupons between 2011 and 2014. Also, I've downloaded the entire collection of public domain books that are free at Feedbooks (and I have a huge amount of Delphi Classics).

I hardly buy anything since then. The only books I buy in paper are either illustrated favorites, and/or reference/study/encyclopedic books. Recently, I bought one discussing something like 70 inventions that changed the world. Illustrated, full color, of course.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-24-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #44
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I think it's strange. It seems everything went bust somewhere in the 80's.

Since the 80's...
- People have gotten heavier, even though there's more healthy food available than ever.
- Reading has been dropping, but the number of writers and published books per year is staggering.
- Playing a musical instrument for fun has dropped a great deal, even though, for most instruments, there are more manufacturers and more options than ever.
- Sports has dropped, even though more people than ever are a member of a sports club and/or fitness center.

I don't understand. How can the usage / activity of basically everything be dropping and dropping in the stats for 30 hears, while there are _MORE_ options to pursue these activities than ever before?
The tragedy of too much choice? People can't decide on any one thing, so they choose not to decide.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Or polling/statistics have become products themselves and are near useless to anyone but those who paid for the results.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote