Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #436
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Well, that may be very helpful for tshering, as he knows what is different between KSM 8 and 9 regarding USB.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #437
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O (1st edn), Xiaomi InkPalm 5
Is there a changelog/list of improvements to KSM09 over KSM08? I just installed KSM(09)+koreader to a new device and noticed the update to KSM. I was wondering what improvements it would bring to update KSM08->KSM09 on my other device.

Last edited by emacsomancer; 08-26-2018 at 08:03 PM.
emacsomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #438
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
• Installed on KOBO H2O V2 but I have a minor problem.
• I have problems with the touch keys, because when I touch the screen it responds in reverse. When I touch a party on the right, it answers to the left. Change the orientation changes kidney.

... good luck for the next version

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-27-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #439
Sukeroku
Sukeroku began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Was told to ask here, copy/pasting from my thread:

After updating both the Kobo (Aura One Limited) and Calibre. I have mods installed on the Kobo. (I probably have screwed something up here being a noob)

Whenever I try adding any books, now, I get to the boot menu where I have to choose options like Nickel/KOReader/etc, and then, regardless of choice, the device shuts off anyway after a while. Without adding any selected books.

This also happens if I manually copy any books into the Kobo's folder.

The files are present in the Kobo folder, if I go look at them with Windows Explorer. Calibre, however, also does not detect them on the Kobo - as the Kobo does not itself, as well.

(It seems that merely connecting the Kobo to a computer (or to be more accurate, after it is disconnected) via USB is what is causing the resets.)
Sukeroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #440
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@Sukeroku
I am sorry that you have problems with KSM. I am also sorry that I have to admit that I cannot really make sense of what you are writing.

Maybe this is the information you need: When you want to add a book in order to read it with nickel (= the original Kobo software), then start nickel, when nickel is running connect the device to the pc and do everything exactly as you would do without having KSM installed.

If this does not help, try to give a more detailed description of what you are doing and what is happening.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #441
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsomancer View Post
Is there a changelog/list of improvements to KSM09 over KSM08? I just installed KSM(09)+koreader to a new device and noticed the update to KSM. I was wondering what improvements it would bring to update KSM08->KSM09 on my other device.
See the first post on this thread.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #442
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
• Installed on KOBO H2O V2 but I have a minor problem.
• I have problems with the touch keys, because when I touch the screen it responds in reverse. When I touch a party on the right, it answers to the left. Change the orientation changes kidney.
This is a know problem that can only be solved by updating KSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
... good luck for the next version
For some reason I am currently lacking motivation to work on KSM, even though I did already prepare most of the update some time ago.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #443
Sukeroku

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
@Sukeroku
I am sorry that you have problems with KSM. I am also sorry that I have to admit that I cannot really make sense of what you are writing.

Maybe this is the information you need: When you want to add a book in order to read it with nickel (= the original Kobo software), then start nickel, when nickel is running connect the device to the pc and do everything exactly as you would do without having KSM installed.

If this does not help, try to give a more detailed description of what you are doing and what is happening.
I was saying that, after having updated the e-reader to the latest version, the problem has started happening.

Honestly I have probably bungled the update. If so, I'm not sure how or what to fix, or how. Or if that's even the case.

After having plugged it into a PC, when I unplug, the e-reader's screen goes into the boot screen - this one https://i.imgur.com/btFBZz4.jpg

And then regardless of what I do, or don't do, the Kobo automatically resets. The screen blanks, then turns back on to the screen in the image.

If before disconnecting the PC I added any books, either manually or through Calibre, these won't appear in the Kobo's library. Even though with File Explorer I can see them in its memory.

Is this clear enough? If not, please tell me what is unclear.

Last edited by Sukeroku; 08-29-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #444
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukeroku View Post
I was saying that, after having updated the e-reader to the latest version, the problem has started happening.
I understand that at some point you installed KSM, and everything was working fine (including adding new books). Sometime later the reader updated to the latest firmware and from then onwards you were unable to add new books. Is this correct? (From your first post I understood that the reader updated to the latest firmware and that you later added KSM.)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #445
Sukeroku

Quote:
I understand that at some point you installed KSM, and everything was working fine (including adding new books). Sometime later the reader updated to the latest firmware and from then onwards you were unable to add new books. Is this correct? (From your first post I understood that the reader updated to the latest firmware and that you later added KSM.)
I added KSM and everything was fine, then later the Kobo downloaded and installed an update.

Software version says 4.9.11311

EDIT: this is weird, it says it's from 6/28/18. The update I got was about a week ago. Also I think I remember the version number being different?
Old 08-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #446
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I added KSM and everything was fine, then later the Kobo downloaded and installed an update.

Software version says 4.9.11311

EDIT: this is weird, it says it's from 6/28/18. The update I got was about a week ago. Also I think I remember the version number being different?
When you connect from within nickel to the pc and then disconnect, do you see that nickel starts to process the books? Maybe the problem is not related to the update but to one of the books you transfered to the reader. One of the books might be defective and cause nickel to fail (I can however not explain why KSM does not work correctly afterwards). You can try to delete those books that you have transfered to the reader and which have not been processed by nickel (that means: which are not added to the library).
If this does not help, it could also be possible that the database created and used by nickel has been damaged. To recreate a new database you can sign out your account and then sign in again.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #447
Sukeroku

Quote:
When you connect from within nickel to the pc and then disconnect, do you see that nickel starts to process the books? Maybe the problem is not related to the update but to one of the books you transfered to the reader. One of the books might be defective and cause nickel to fail (I can however not explain why KSM does not work correctly afterwards). You can try to delete those books that you have transfered to the reader and which have not been processed by nickel (that means: which are not added to the library).
If this does not help, it could also be possible that the database created and used by nickel has been damaged. To recreate a new database you can sign out your account and then sign in again.
No, I do not see Nickel starting to process the books. It just goes to the boot screen, and then restarts even if I choose one of the boot options. Or even if I do nothing.

I'll try the database thing. Although I am not sure what your explanations means.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #448
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
No, I do not see Nickel starting to process the books. It just goes to the boot screen, and then restarts even if I choose one of the boot options. Or even if I do nothing.

I'll try the database thing. Although I am not sure what your explanations means.
Try first to remove the not processed books.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #449
Sukeroku

Quote:
Try first to remove the not processed books.
Have just finished doing that, I had a few. I checked them against Calibre's database so I am sure I got all of them.

It didn't fix the issue.

EDIT: I figured out how to log out. That seems to have fixed the problem.
Too bad that it wiped my reading progress and collections. Not too much lost, but I did sync beforehand - it said it would preserve my data . . .

Last edited by Sukeroku; 08-29-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #450
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
EDIT: I figured out how to log out. That seems to have fixed the problem.
Too bad that it wiped my reading progress and collections. Not too much lost, but I did sync beforehand - it said it would preserve my data . . .
The only data saved by Kobo is for books purchased from them and synced to your Kobo. The explanation I got one time was that due to privacy laws, if Kobo collected information on books that were sideloaded, they had to allow you access to that information. You can guess what sort of security and privacy headache that would be.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote