Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad2 View Post
Tried it on my tablet but no luck connecting browser to calibre

How do I go about fixing my firewall settings - is this something I need to ring my isp for?
If you are only trying to do this on your local network, you should only need to open the appropriate port on the computer running the calibre server. How to do that depend on the OS you are running. I would recommend using Google to find the instructions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (retired), AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad2 View Post
Hi david

I open the browser and type in the address bar:

http://10.0.0.70:8080/

The 10.0.0.70 and the port 8080 I got from Calibre by clicking on Connect/share then Start Content Server. I also clicked 'ok' on Start wireless device connection.
The "Content Server" is separate from the "Wireless device connection". The Content Server serves up calibre's library in two formats; in HTML, for your browser and as an OPDS Catalog, that KOReader's OPDS support makes use of.

The Wireless device connection interacts with a program on your device; a calibre companion type program/function (or plugin in KOReader's case) to allow you to send multiple selected items from calibre's library to your device. A device Icon will be created in calibre, to represent the wirelessly connected device.

With the Content Server, you can search a listing of books in your caliber library up and running on your PC, and select a book to download/pull to your device. With the OPDS version you first see a page to select how you want to have the listing displayed:
By Newest
By Title
By Authors
By Languages
By Publisher
By Rating
By Series
By Tags

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-25-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #18
Ad2
Enthusiast
Ad2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for explaining that Ken. I've always loved my Kobo but have never fully understood a lot of the functions it has and how to use them. I've always been more than content enjoying just plain reading on it but knowing these things does make it easy, convenient and a bit more fun to use.
Ad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #19
Ad2
Enthusiast
Ad2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for all your help david. I really appreciate it.

ha ha DONE IT! Got it working and downloaded my first book via wifi

As you said, the problem was the firewall settings. In "Allow a program to communicate through Windows Firewall" I did have Calibre in the exceptions list, twice for some reason. But with one allowing Public and the other allowing Private. So I checked/ticked all the 4 Calibre boxes so as to allow both Calibre exceptions in the list to allow both Public and Private. And it worked.

Thanks again david.
Ad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
kyrusdemnati
kyrusdemnati began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
dropbox dosnt seem to download files now
kyrusdemnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You have to use the desktop version of the site. It's buggy sometimes you have to close the browser and try again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #22
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura; Galaxy S4 + Tab S 8.4; Lenovo Yoga Tablet 8; Pocketbook 626
Did Kobo cripple their software in order to prevent users to wirelessly download their epubs from dropbox. Because it used to work in previous versions. Only in more recent versions I noticed it stopped remembering my login to dropbox and it started refusing to download books from there.
And if so, why?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Did Kobo cripple their software in order to prevent users to wirelessly download their epubs from dropbox. Because it used to work in previous versions. Only in more recent versions I noticed it stopped remembering my login to dropbox and it started refusing to download books from there.
And if so, why?
Kobo didn't change, it was dropbox that changed something. If you go back and try using an old version of he Kobo firmware you will find that it no longer works with the mobile version of the dropbox site either. Just switch to the desktop version after you login to dropbox and it will work okay.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #24
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
ha ha DONE IT! Got it working and downloaded my first book via wifi
Great! Now plug it it to USB anyway, to charge it.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #25
csanna
csanna began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks!!! Does your Calibre program on your computer have to be open when using it wirelessly on other devices?
csanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #26
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (retired), AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by csanna View Post
Thanks!!! Does your Calibre program on your computer have to be open when using it wirelessly on other devices?
You need the calibre content server running on your PC/calibre device with a WiFi network connection. One way is to have the calibre open and use the calibre content server option in calibre's menus. Another is to run the "calibre-server.exe" directly. (In windows: right-click on the calibre shortcut and open Properties. Then click on the "Open File Location" button, to find the program. If you drag the program file to your desktop you can have a shortcut to just run the server.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by csanna View Post
Generally speaking, you can run the calibre server from the command line without needing to use the calibre GUI. Personally, I do not recommend this if you are also using the GUI on the same machine since you will need to stop the server before running the GUI (see warnings about the calibre database not being multiple-user safe). If you have a single computer, run the GUI and enable the server from it's preferences. This will let you modify your library without problems.

I do run the server standalone but it is on a different computer. Around 3 AM. a scheduled task shuts down the server, replaces the library with an updated copy synced from the main computer and then restarts the server.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote