Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 12:46 AM   #1996
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Sincere condolences for your unexpected loss Sirtel

And yes, MobileRead can give you somewhere pleasant to visit to get away from that other reality ...
Indeed. I agree with Blossom. I lost my mom just over 3 months ago now (March 25th) and grief isn't something you just get over all at once. The pain of loss sneaks up on you at times, though it does hurt a bit less as time goes by. I know I still find myself learning something and thinking 'I have to tell mom about that..' and then I remember that she isn't here any longer. Support comes in many forms. A month or so after mom died the Manor (where she got care) had a memorial service for those who had passed and on July 18th our local Clinic/hospital is having one for those who have passed during this past 6 months. I think such ceremonies help as they show you that you aren't alone in grief. It is very easy to insulate yourself and think you are the only one dealing with such, and memorial services help take you out of that mindset. May God be with you in your time of grief Sirtel.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #1997
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Thank you, Crich70.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #1998
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Indeed. I agree with Blossom. I lost my mom just over 3 months ago now (March 25th) and grief isn't something you just get over all at once. The pain of loss sneaks up on you at times, though it does hurt a bit less as time goes by. I know I still find myself learning something and thinking 'I have to tell mom about that..' and then I remember that she isn't here any longer. Support comes in many forms. A month or so after mom died the Manor (where she got care) had a memorial service for those who had passed and on July 18th our local Clinic/hospital is having one for those who have passed during this past 6 months. I think such ceremonies help as they show you that you aren't alone in grief. It is very easy to insulate yourself and think you are the only one dealing with such, and memorial services help take you out of that mindset. May God be with you in your time of grief Sirtel.
I have those thoughts too. I've yet to realize I can't pick up the phone and call my sister either. You'll find that you are now very sensitive to things that wouldn't normally bat an eyelash at. The grief can build up to the point that a minor issue sets you off and you feel foolish later of your reaction. This is normal so be gentle to yourself. I think when loss happens our brain is wounded in a way that just like any injury we have to give it time to heal. I've gone from brain fog, to writing everything down so now I don't have brain fog because my brain isn't being overworked while it repairs itself to accept this new reality.

I agree grief can make you feel so very alone and isolated. I had my share of this since May. The nursing home rang a bell for my sister at their Memorial Day service when they were remembering all who had past that year. They have a really good chaplain there that visits with mom and I got her in therapy with a psychiatrist because she didn't just lose her daughter but her house, her way of life and pretty much everything she had but a few items.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #1999
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Happy Birthday, Patricia.

"We remember, we who dwell. . . ."
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #2000
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Happy Birthday, Patricia.

"We remember, we who dwell. . . ."
Hear hear...
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #2001
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Heart felt remembrance - a true loss to Mobile Read and its members ..
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #2002
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
R.I.P. Aretha Franklin - a true queen of soul ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #2003
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
R.I.P. Aretha Franklin - a true queen of soul ...
Music business owes her so much.

I'm playing her early Columbia recordings

Aug 16 is also 41st anniversary of Elvis's death and Madonna's 60th birthday...

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #2004
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Somehow, it seems appropriate for the King of Rock and the Queen of Soul to have passed on the same day.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #2005
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't believe this

This morning I poked my head into a new 'establishment' under construction in my local shopping strip - just being nosy. The owners were there - man and a woman mid-late 50's - so we said hello. It's going to be a 'quiet little drink' bar with live music - jazz, soul etc. Inevitably I mentioned the passing of AF. The guy then told me he'd performed with her at private gigs in NYC and The Hamptons.

Note where i live - Uncanny
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #2006
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Somehow, it seems appropriate for the King of Rock and the Queen of Soul to have passed on the same day.
My mom told me that she had gotten her picture taken with Elvis and his security guards. I gather mom and a friend of hers went to one of his concerts back in the day. They tried to sneak backstage to get a close up look at him or something and got caught by his security. The friend broke down in tears thinking they were going to be arrested or something and I gather Elvis heard the commotion and came out to find out what was going on. That's how they got their pics taken with him. Alas mom never got her copies of the prints. I gather it was the friend's camera and for some reason (which I don't know) mom didn't get copies.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #2007
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
My landlady’s best friend and her younger daughter perished after being hit by a drunk driver driving the wrong way at a hundred MPH. I didn’t know them terribly well myself, though have conversed a few times while they were over at the house.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #2008
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Paul Allen -- 1953~2018

Quote:
Paul Gardner Allen (January 21, 1953 – October 15, 2018) was an American business magnate, investor and philanthropist. He co-founded Microsoft alongside Bill Gates in 1975. Before his death, he was estimated to be the 46th-richest person in the world, with an estimated net worth of $20.3 billion, including 100 million shares of Microsoft.

Allen was the founder and Chairman of Vulcan Inc., which manages his various business and philanthropic efforts. Allen had a multibillion-dollar investment portfolio including technology and media companies, scientific research, real estate holdings, private spaceflight ventures, and stakes in other companies. He owned two professional sports teams: the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League and the Portland Trail Blazers of the National Basketball Association, and was part-owner of the Seattle Sounders FC, which joined Major League Soccer in 2009.

He was the founder of the Allen Institute for Brain Science, Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Institute for Cell Science, and Stratolaunch Systems. Throughout his lifetime, Allen gave more than $2 billion towards causes such as education, wildlife and environmental conservation, the arts, health and community services, and more.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #2009
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Paul Allen was an amazing man, indeed. His death was a loss to Seattle and the world. He gave $100 million to fight ebola in West Africa and then, a year later, gave another $11 million.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #2010
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
RIP, Stan Lee...

Stan Lee, Marvel Comics' Real-Life Superhero, Dies at 95
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-legend-721450
Quote:
The feisty writer, editor and publisher was responsible for such iconic characters as Spider-Man, the X-Men, Thor, Iron Man, Black Panther and the Fantastic Four — 'nuff said.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote