Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #41671
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I've got some sad news today.

My friends had to put their dog, Luca, who I look after regularly, to sleep. She's had problems with her health for a while now and had gotten worse over the last six months (see a previous post). Their vet kept talking them into trying "one more thing" multiple times. But last night she started have trouble breathing. So this morning they went to the vet one last time.

<snippage>

Poor Luca, it's better like this. I just wish that her last six months were better and happier for her.
Oh, Rumple...I'm sorry to hear that, but honestly, after your last post, I'm relieved for you AND I'm relieved for Luca. It didn't sound like Luca's quality of life was very good, and I know, all too well, how hard it is to make that decision on behalf of a pet--which, obviously, can't speak to you and say, "FFS, let me die already, wouldja?!" I had a much-beloved cat, years ago, who'd reached 17, and developed cancer. She was amazingly healthy and in good shape, in every other way, and she had not one, but TWO cancers--one slow-growing, one fast.

Long story short, we treated her for it (the fast-growing type). She lived for another two years, which, let's face it, in cat-time, is a pretty good result. She was cancer-free for a goodly chunk of that.

But it was selfish of me. At the time we discovered it, she was healthy and happy. Yes, cancer, but everything else was pretty good. I should have allowed her to decline, and then put her out of her misery, once the disease affected her quality of life. But I was too selfish to let her go, so she suffered through chemo and all that, twice a month for 6 months.

I put her down as soon as it recurred; I'd grown by then and realized I'd been wrong to do what I'd done. When our next (rescue) kitty, Clancy, developed an illness that made him sick to his stomach and in pain, I had him put down as soon as I knew he was in pain. I didn't try to make him go through chemo, etc.

I really DO understand how hard it is to do this for a furry member of the family, but it's the right thing to do, hard or not. It's part of our responsibility, and that vet was shameful, in what he did, extending that poor dog's time of suffering like that (and her owners'!). Totally unforgivable, in my opinion.

I'm glad, Rumple, that you don't have to worry about it, though. I would not have wanted to be in your shoes, with a very, very sick dog, and the possibility of you having to make that call, while they were out of town, not one iota. I can't think of very many worse scenarios (aside from human tragedies and the like, of course).

So..I'm sorry for Luca, and her mum/dad, but I'm relieved for you, and for her, too.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #41672
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, Rumple...I'm sorry to hear that, but honestly, after your last post, I'm relieved for you AND I'm relieved for Luca. It didn't sound like Luca's quality of life was very good, and I know, all too well, how hard it is to make that decision on behalf of a pet--which, obviously, can't speak to you and say, "FFS, let me die already, wouldja?!"
I know it's best for Luca. They (mostly the vet) let it go on too long. We've had to make hard decisions with pets we've had. Luckily we had a great vet, he wouldn't have let it go on for this long. Poor Luca didn't have a good last six months and I'm angry with the vet for letting it go on so long and talking my friends into keep trying new things.

But yes, I'm also relieved that I don't have the responsibility of a very sick dog. And I do feel guilty about that.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #41673
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know it's best for Luca. They (mostly the vet) let it go on too long. We've had to make hard decisions with pets we've had. Luckily we had a great vet, he wouldn't have let it go on for this long. Poor Luca didn't have a good last six months and I'm angry with the vet for letting it go on so long and talking my friends into keep trying new things.

But yes, I'm also relieved that I don't have the responsibility of a very sick dog. And I do feel guilty about that.
Good God, why should YOU feel guilty that you're (quite rationally) relieved that the onus of a horrible decision won't fall on you? A decision that should have been made by the owners, who are also then responsible for making YOU (potentially) wear it? Oh, nononononononono. You shouldn't have a guilty thought in your head. At ALL. That's...that's crazy talk.

Think of it this way--forget the housesitting, completely. Take yourself out of the picture, entirely. As their friend, and Luca's friend, what was the best-possible thing that could happen, right now, barring imaginary miracles where the dog is suddenly 2 years old and healthy? She needed to be euthanized, right, so that she'd stop suffering. Right? So then...no guilt. Your part in this, the housesitting, is tertiary. You are RIGHTLY relieved for the dog's sake. It's no crime to be relieved for your own sake as well.

Hitch
Old 07-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #41674
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ditto. But she said it better.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:05 AM   #41675
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ditto. But she said it better.
Quote:
Good God, why should YOU feel guilty that you're (quite rationally) relieved that the onus of a horrible decision won't fall on you? A decision that should have been made by the owners, who are also then responsible for making YOU (potentially) wear it? Oh, nononononononono. You shouldn't have a guilty thought in your head. At ALL. That's...that's crazy talk.

Think of it this way--forget the housesitting, completely. Take yourself out of the picture, entirely. As their friend, and Luca's friend, what was the best-possible thing that could happen, right now, barring imaginary miracles where the dog is suddenly 2 years old and healthy? She needed to be euthanized, right, so that she'd stop suffering. Right? So then...no guilt. Your part in this, the housesitting, is tertiary. You are RIGHTLY relieved for the dog's sake. It's no crime to be relieved for your own sake as well.

Hitch
I know it, but still.

It's also been an emotionally exhausting week. First of all the worrying about Luca, then the monthly hormones (which always seem to be worse when it's very warm) and finally the Family Thing. The deadline for the negotiations is next Wednesday and it might work out or not. So lots of emotions going on and I just don't know what I'm feeling right now.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #41676
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

One of my favourite stand up comedians, Sarah Millican, is coming to Amsterdam next March. Tickets go on sale of Friday, though I might be able to order a day early since I'm on her mailinglist. If it wasn't so hot I would be doing a happy dance.

Next week there's a chance of an official heat wave, there's even a tiny chance temperatures will rise to 40C+ degrees. I'm glad I'm going house sitting; my friends' house cools down a lot quicker in the evening than ours.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #41677
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
So, I'm finishing my after dinner walk tonight and look up to see my house - which is on a corner with a fire hydrant at the curb. I see what I assume is a large dog off the leash sniffing at the hydrant - a well used doggie mail box in the neighborhood. I then marvel that it is a LARGE dog ... with a long neck ...

and then get close enough to see that it is a doe grazing on the clover that grows by the hydrant every summer. She sees me and decides to retreat through my back yard into the line of trees that run behind all the houses in my block.

I wonder how many deer are living in that tiny woods ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #41678
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
We have 4 spotted baby deer and two moms in our front yard early morning and evening right now.

I am currently waiting to pick my furbaby up from the vet (yearly checkup and teeth cleaning).
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #41679
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
So, I'm finishing my after dinner walk tonight and look up to see my house - which is on a corner with a fire hydrant at the curb. I see what I assume is a large dog off the leash sniffing at the hydrant - a well used doggie mail box in the neighborhood. I then marvel that it is a LARGE dog ... with a long neck ...

and then get close enough to see that it is a doe grazing on the clover that grows by the hydrant every summer. She sees me and decides to retreat through my back yard into the line of trees that run behind all the houses in my block.

I wonder how many deer are living in that tiny woods ...
We have some Mule deer, that keep wandering down to our place and munching on our shrubs and Palo Verde Trees. They were here a lot, before the big rains we've had--obviously, needing food and water. We've had massive rains, and I expect we won't see them for a while now.

Hitch
Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #41680
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I treated myself to an early birthday present: a couple of nights in a capsule hotel in Rotterdam just after my birthday next month. I've been watching videos on YouTube about capsule hotels, mostly in Asia. I discovered there are a couple of the Netherlands, in Amsterdam there are several and one in Rotterdam. I'll be going to Rotterdam because I go to Amsterdam regularly and I've not seen much of Rotterdam except for the city center.

I'll be staying at the CityHub, it's near the city center, around the corner from two museums and with easy access to public transport.

Now the big question is: will I go for a top "hub" or a bottom "hub".
Old 07-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #41681
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I treated myself to an early birthday present: a couple of nights in a capsule hotel in Rotterdam just after my birthday next month. <snippage>

Now the big question is: will I go for a top "hub" or a bottom "hub".
Hmmmm...I'll have to look into "capsule hotels." Sounds interesting!

(I don't know what top hub or bottom means, but, go for whichever is the most luxurious!)

Hitch
Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #41682
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmmmm...I'll have to look into "capsule hotels." Sounds interesting!

(I don't know what top hub or bottom means, but, go for whichever is the most luxurious!)

Hitch
There are many different capsule hotels, from basic to luxurious. CityHub is in middle of these. At only €42 a night it's fun to try it and get the opportunity to explore Rotterdam. It's between a hostel and a hotel; you get your own space (in this case locked, in Asia often just a curtain), but share the bathroom. This is a YouTube video about the CityHub in Amsterdam. The "hubs"/capsules are the same as in Rotterdam.

This is a photo of two pods. The section behind the door got shelves for your things, and serve as a stairs (I think) for the hub on top. Behind the window is the bed. So for the top hub you have to climb for the bottom hub you have to duck down.

I like the idea of a top hub, but I almost always have to use the toilet during the night and I'm not sure having to navigate shelf-stairs is a good idea in the middle of the night.

I'm really looking forward to it, hopefully by that time there's a decision in the Family Thing (despite the deadline on Wednesday we're still negotiating, so no news yet). If there is a solution by then I'm going to celebrate it like the true introvert I am: a long visit to the big bookstore. By then my sister is working for a company near Rotterdam part of the week, if she works there on Monday we might meet up for dinner.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #41683
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
There are many different capsule hotels, from basic to luxurious. CityHub is in middle of these. At only €42 a night it's fun to try it and get the opportunity to explore Rotterdam. It's between a hostel and a hotel; you get your own space (in this case locked, in Asia often just a curtain), but share the bathroom. This is a YouTube video about the CityHub in Amsterdam. The "hubs"/capsules are the same as in Rotterdam.

This is a photo of two pods. The section behind the door got shelves for your things, and serve as a stairs (I think) for the hub on top. Behind the window is the bed. So for the top hub you have to climb for the bottom hub you have to duck down.

I like the idea of a top hub, but I almost always have to use the toilet during the night and I'm not sure having to navigate shelf-stairs is a good idea in the middle of the night.

I'm really looking forward to it, hopefully by that time there's a decision in the Family Thing (despite the deadline on Wednesday we're still negotiating, so no news yet). If there is a solution by then I'm going to celebrate it like the true introvert I am: a long visit to the big bookstore. By then my sister is working for a company near Rotterdam part of the week, if she works there on Monday we might meet up for dinner.
With my luck, I'd take the bottom hub for the same reason(s) as you, and I'd get some huge oversexed pair over me, humping like horny hippos all night long.

Honestly...for ages, I thought that these were some kind of post-apocalyptic nightmare vision of a hotel room. Silly me. I don't mean to sound like some old fogey, but, jeeeze. I'm glad for you, tho, Rumple, if this will be fun for you!!!

Hitch
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #41684
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With my luck, I'd take the bottom hub for the same reason(s) as you, and I'd get some huge oversexed pair over me, humping like horny hippos all night long.

Honestly...for ages, I thought that these were some kind of post-apocalyptic nightmare vision of a hotel room. Silly me. I don't mean to sound like some old fogey, but, jeeeze. I'm glad for you, tho, Rumple, if this will be fun for you!!!

Hitch
LOL. The humping, horny hippos remark brought back memories of university in the UK. The first year we were there two classmates fell in love and tried to keep it secret. I outed them by complaining about the noise in his room, which was one floor up from mine. They tried to be quiet but those box spring beds were noisy!

Mind you, if I get a top pod I will probably get a couple fighting. Which is what I had during my second year. Our rooms were about eight by twelve feet, it had a sink, wardrobe, single bed, big desk, desk chair, coffee table, low chair and a trash can. There was barely enough room for one person. But a couple decided to save money and share a room (which wasn't even allowed). Which resulted in many and loud fights.

It's something I want to have done at least once. Looking at it I would say this hub is only slightly smaller than the cabin I had on the boat to Newcastly-upon-Tyne, though I did have my own teeny, tiny bathroom. I do hope the sound insulation is better than on the boat, though.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 PM   #41685
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
A friend in the UK described taking the Chunnel years back to Paris and checking into a hotel to try to sort through personal issues, and feeling that a different environment from home might assist. (The issues were romantic, and I knew the guy she was involved with as well as her. That it didn't work out came as no surprise.)

She's trying to fall asleep, but an extremely amorous couple are fornicating coming up the stairs, and then in the hall, and then in the room next door, and are the noisy "Oh, God, yes!" types. Cue a brief rest and a quick shower, and they're noisily at it again, and then again. She was considering trying to yell at them in her best less then fluent French. I suggested she should have done so in Russian, in which she was more fluent. She thought that was a lovely idea she wished she'd thought of,. as it would likely get the point across and be a big satisfying public row that seems dear to Russian hearts.

She's all in favor of enthusiastic sex, but not next door when she's trying to sleep...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?