Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #46
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Walter Carlos - Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 In G Major
Good thing you caught me listening to something that makes me look hip and smart.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #47
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Chrysalis - Definition

Back in the late 60's, San Francisco band like the Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead were highly popular. MGM Records tried to duplicate the phenomenon by mining a different territory, and producing a series of albums from Boston based bands they labeled the "Bosstown Sound".

Chrysalis was one release. Definition was their only album, and it became a cult favorite. It's been on my top ten albums list from when I first heard it. The sound is psychedelic. Leader J. Spider Barbour was a grad student in entomology, and the songs are full of odd insect references, like the mayfly, cleaning wings singed by a candle flame, becoming a metaphor for the singer's failed romance. And for just outright weird, "Dr. Root's Garden", in which kids play outside his house, while inside, Dr. Root breeds bottles of disease to loose upon the world he thinks has wronged him.

Spider is still around, a biologist living in upstate NY, who also plays with a local band called the Curmudgeons. http://www.ulster.net/~spider/

The Rev-Ola specialty label in the UK re-released Definition on CD with bonus tracks , but this is the original vinyl.

Just wonderful.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #48
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
This year, far more than we have had for the past fifteen years, the songbirds are back. Cardinals are out in force and a few bluebirds, robins are plentiful, and even some orioles. Of course there are always a crow or two; but, the pigeon population seems to have diminished a great deal.

Music at the moment, Warren Zevon's I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
00134. "Weird Al" Yankovic - [Running With Scissors #01] The Saga Begins
00135. Sarah McLachlan - [Solace #11/11] Wear Your Love like Heaven
00136. Smile Empty Soul - [Smile Empty Soul #14] Eraser
00137. Wizard of Oz in Concert - [Dreams Come True #30/37] Debra Winger - Haunted Forest
00138. Beach Boys - [Greatest Hits 1961 - 1965, Vol. 1 #02] Surfin' U.S.A.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #50
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
00134. "Weird Al" Yankovic - [Running With Scissors #01] The Saga Begins
00135. Sarah McLachlan - [Solace #11/11] Wear Your Love like Heaven
00136. Smile Empty Soul - [Smile Empty Soul #14] Eraser
00137. Wizard of Oz in Concert - [Dreams Come True #30/37] Debra Winger - Haunted Forest
00138. Beach Boys - [Greatest Hits 1961 - 1965, Vol. 1 #02] Surfin' U.S.A.
00139. Lazy Susan - My Comforter Needs Adjusting (Will You Be the One to Do It)
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #51
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
currently listening to the shrieking hordes of unwashed minions of satan which regularly invade the schoolyard outside my kitchen window. judging by volume, there are approximately eleventy gazillion of them in there now, and they are all simultaneously being flayed alive. when does school end this year ????

in parallel to that, in the courtyard of my own building, some unidentified birds (not pigeons) think that there is some kind of "who can make more noise" competition going on, and are bellowing "CHIRP !!! CHIRP !!! CHIRP !!!!" at the top of their surprisingly powerful lungs.

i think it may be time for my anti-noise dispositive again.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #52
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i think it may be time for my anti-noise dispositive again.
OH! What's that?! Sounds brilliant, like something Doctor Who might use.

I'm currently listening to Americans milk camels and then drink it straight from the bowl.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #53
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
OH! What's that?! Sounds brilliant, like something Doctor Who might use.
if i say it is, can i have a sonic screwdriver to go with it ??? i so want one of those...

(in fact it's the dj headphones which i will soon have to have permanently grafted to my head)

Quote:
I'm currently listening to Americans milk camels and then drink it straight from the bowl.

Cheers,
Marc
the original, or the punk rock cover ?

(help me out, i'm trying to launch a new catchphrase here.)
Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #54
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
currently listening to the shrieking hordes of unwashed minions of satan...
Band name: The Shums (aka, The Shrieking Hordes of Unwashed Minions of Satan) whose full name is The Shrieking Hordes of Unwashed Minions of Satan Which Regularly Invade the Schoolyard Outside My Kitchen Window
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #55
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Band name: The Shums (aka, The Shrieking Hordes of Unwashed Minions of Satan) whose full name is The Shrieking Hordes of Unwashed Minions of Satan Which Regularly Invade the Schoolyard Outside My Kitchen Window
SHUMSWRISOMKW just doesn't roll off the tongue with quite the same verve.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #56
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
SHUMSWRISOMKW just doesn't roll off the tongue with quite the same verve.
Uh-oh. If I enter SHUMSWRISOMKW into my secret SSCMDB decoder ring/badge/thingie, I get out Covert Silliness Operations. But I thought we weren't supposed to talk about that. Hey, don't look at me. It was Queen Zee who said it, not me.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #57
zelda_pinwheel

pfff. silly dog, that's the whole point of a secret code.

(why do you think we need the decoder rings in the first place ???)

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-26-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #58
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
... I'm currently listening to Americans milk camels and then drink it straight from the bowl....
Ahhhhhhhhh, raw milk. If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger.

Morning here, I have some oldies but goodies lined up to the next few hours -- Mamas & Papas, Lovin's Spoonful, Jackson Browne, Eagles, Spirit, Meat Loaf, and Byrds.

I just finished listening to Arlo Guthrie's first album Alice's Restaurant and the song Highway in the Wind. Now there is a group of songs by one-hit-wonders, Right now is Liar, Liar by the Castaways, next up is Goody Two-Shoes by Adam Ant.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #59
zelda_pinwheel

Adam Ant !!! i love him. Stand and Deliver !!

well i think i know what i'm about to be listening to...
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #60
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Madonna's Confessions from a Dancefloor

Also listening to the sound of ringing phones, loudmouth co-workers, the roaring of the AC unit on the roof 2 stories down, frequent sirens, and the sounds of other people complaining about their jobs. I need a vacation.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth of the shums, blues, listening, shumswrisomkw, unutterable silliness, youtubed! :)