Notices

Old 07-22-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
quoddle
Enthusiast
quoddle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Upgrade W10 64bit

Hi,
I've been trying to upgrade to Calibre 6.1 on a 64bit W10 pc running Windows Defender. It installs normally but when I run it I get "This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Available platform plugins are: direct2d, minimal, offscreen, Windows"

I've tried reinstalling several times with the same result. I've had to uninstall and go back to 5.44 which woks fine.

Anything I can do to get the new version working?
quoddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoddle View Post
Hi,
I've been trying to upgrade to Calibre 6.1 on a 64bit W10 pc running Windows Defender. It installs normally but when I run it I get "This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Available platform plugins are: direct2d, minimal, offscreen, Windows"

I've tried reinstalling several times with the same result. I've had to uninstall and go back to 5.44 which woks fine.

Anything I can do to get the new version working?
Try installing 6.1 again and then rebooting into safe mode. If that site won't work, try a repair install while in safe mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

Moved from the Issues after updating to calibre 6.1 64 bits thread.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
quoddle
Enthusiast

Tried that but the same error in Safe Mode.
Startup Repair went through the Diagnosing your PC stage then came up with Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.
Everything else works fine it's just the new version of Calibre that won't run.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #5
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
@quoddle

Looking on the internet for that error message, it seems that this error occurs where you have 2 or more programs each with their own version of the QT software (which Calibre uses too) and the interactions between them. Basically 1 program finds the wrong QT files at runtime (an incompatible version) and the result is this message.

Have a look in your "System Environment Variables" for any variable name starting with QT and if found see what software uses it. That is one possible cause as it would divert Calibre from loading its QT files and try to load another program's version.

Don't just delete any such variable you find but investigate as you could stop something else working - you'd be surprised at how many programs use QT behind the scenes.

Last edited by georgemk; 07-22-2022 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Add be careful
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
quoddle
Enthusiast

It's not listed there at all. Do I need to manually install it?
Old 07-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's the error you get trying to run calibre 6 on windows 8. Are you sure you are on windows 10?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:12 AM   #8
quoddle
Enthusiast

Yes, Windows 10 Pro though an old version
Old 07-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, Windows 10 Pro though an old version
I suggest you update your Windows 10 to the latest version.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:50 AM   #10
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
It's not listed there at all. Do I need to manually install it?
No, I'm just going from the other forums where people have had the QT system variables misdirecting products. Calibre has everything it needs within its installer package so doesn't need anything else.
It was a possible cause of your issue not the only one unfortunately.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:32 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm taking a guess that maybe Qt6 is not compatible with older versions of Windows 10.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:36 PM   #12
quoddle
Enthusiast

That's what it looks like. Unfortunately my copy of Windows was modified several years ago by my son in law to stop it updating as the updates were causing more problems than they solved. It's been fine ever since until this problem with Calibre.
The only way I can update is a clean install which I don't want to do as it'll take me forever to reinstall everything.
Looks like I'm stuck with v5.44
Old 07-22-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's what it looks like. Unfortunately my copy of Windows was modified several years ago by my son in law to stop it updating as the updates were causing more problems than they solved. It's been fine ever since until this problem with Calibre.
The only way I can update is a clean install which I don't want to do as it'll take me forever to reinstall everything.
Looks like I'm stuck with v5.44
If he turned off the update services, turn them back on. And you could ask your son what he did and get him to undo it.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:02 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried just updating the video drivers to a current one?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:06 AM   #15
quoddle
Enthusiast

Video drivers are all current.
It wasn't as simple as turning off update services. It was numerous changes in the registry which he can't remember now as it was several years ago so I'm stuck with this version unless I do a complete new install.
The PC works fine with everything else, the issue seems to be the lack of backwards compatibility of the new Calibre and Qt6