Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Having lots of trouble with calibre.

so yeah I like to scan my manga and read them on my nook so one thing I noticed was when i click transfer to device Calibre completely freezes up if its like more than 20 MB. The other thing I noticed is a sorting problem when my boooks are numbered by series it will be out of order when i put it on my nook or on Calibri itself. Its order will go 1 then 10 and continue 11 12 so forth then 2 then 20 rather than 1,2,3. I Zip my manga files and put them in folders. The folders contain each chapter and each folder is a volume Calibri doesnt seem to be capable of selecting just the folder and adding it as a single book which is what i want to do rather than hundreds of chapters or an extremely large single book. I want it to be by volume instead of 1 huge file. It doesn't help that Calibri cant even put them in the proper order or freezes when the file is too big.

Last edited by GoldThreader; 11-07-2011 at 10:46 AM.
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One minor suggestion... There are things called punctuation marks; periods; commas, and even paragraphs.

It would make your problem far easier to understand.

You might like to number things as "01 02 -- 09 10 11 -- " etc; i.e. ensure that sorting happens the way you expect it to.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One minor suggestion... There are things called punctuation marks; periods; commas, and even paragraphs.

It would make your problem far easier to understand.

You might like to number things as "01 02 -- 09 10 11 -- " etc; i.e. ensure that sorting happens the way you expect it to.
grammer and punctuation set aside that might solve the numbering problem but I still have the other problems Ill try your numbering suggestion out and get back to you on it
Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
grammer and punctuation set aside that might solve the numbering problem but I still have the other problems
It is hard to put grammar and punctuation aside if you want an answer to your many questions. I have read it over twice and I am still not sure what problems you are running into.

What OS?
What version of cailbre?
Exactly what steps are you taking?
What format books are the manga contained in? CBR, Epub, Zip, PDF, JPGs???
Is the sort order based on series, file names, other metadata I'm not aware of?
What format are the chapters in?

Break down the individual problems into separate paragraphs and be as specific as you can be. I would love to help, but your exact problems aren't articulated well enough for me to be able to aid you at this time. Others with experience with manga may have a better intuitive handle on what you're going through.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It is hard to put grammar and punctuation aside if you want an answer to your many questions. I have read it over twice and I am still not sure what problems you are running into.

What OS?
What version of cailbre?
Exactly what steps are you taking?
What format books are the manga contained in? CBR, Epub, Zip, PDF, JPGs???
Is the sort order based on series, file names, other metadata I'm not aware of?
What format are the chapters in?

Break down the individual problems into separate paragraphs and be as specific as you can be. I would love to help, but your exact problems aren't articulated well enough for me to be able to aid you at this time. Others with experience with manga may have a better intuitive handle on what you're going through.

Good Luck.
windows xp
most recent
not sure what you mean by steps sense im having more than 1 problem with it
there zipped by chapter
well thats just a problem i have when i try to number any series not necessarily just manga
the manga is CBZ but i can change that the format isnt the problem

and ill list out the problems for you
1 calibri is extremely slow and with things about 20MB and above it just freezes and ill have to task manager it
2 The series ordering isnt very good it will go 1,10,11....2,20,21 ect.
3 I cant get it to just select a folder and combine all the chapters as 1 book so instead of hundreds of books ill have them in volumes
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1 calibri is extremely slow and with things about 20MB and above it just freezes and ill have to task manager it
What are you doing when calibre "freezes" on you?

Are you trying to send the book to a device?
If so what device?
Does calibre ask you if you want to convert the file during the send to device process.

Exact details of what you are doing that causes the "freeze" are important.

Quote:
2 The series ordering isnt very good it will go 1,10,11....2,20,21 ect.
Where are you experiencing this ordering. Series in the calibre library do not sort like this, so we need to know where you experience this ordering problem.

Is in the file name?
Is it in metadata?
Is it in the CBZ itself?
Is it on your device?
Are you using a Save template or metadata plugboard to set series info for either the file name or the title on the device?
If so what template are you using?

Quote:
3 I cant get it to just select a folder and combine all the chapters as 1 book so instead of hundreds of books ill have them in volumes
I am Manga ignorant so bear with me. What format are the chapters in? Are they CBZ? If so couldn't you open each chapter CBZ and move all of the chapter images (numbering them in order) into one larger CBZ book containing all of the chapters?

I'm still unsure (mostly due to my own ignorance) what you are trying to do here. This section of the FAQ might help.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-07-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
What are you doing when calibre "freezes" on you?

Are you trying to send the book to a device?
If so what device?
Does calibre ask you if you want to convert the file during the send to device process.

Exact details of what you are doing that causes the "freeze" are important.

Where are you experiencing this ordering. Series in the calibre library do not sort like this, so we need to know where you experience this ordering problem.

Is in the file name?
Is it in metadata?
Is it in the CBZ itself?
Is it on your device?
Are you using a Save template or metadata plugboard to set series info for either the file name or the title on the device?
If so what template are you using?

I am Manga ignorant so bear with me. What format are the chapters in? Are they CBZ? If so couldn't you open each chapter CBZ and move all of the chapter images (numbering them in order) into one larger CBZ book containing all of the chapters?

I'm still unsure (mostly due to my own ignorance) what you are trying to do here. This section of the FAQ might help.
yeah im trying to send them to my nook and no it doesnt ask me to convert it it freezes when they are over 20MB and i click send to device works fine when they are not that big

as for where am i experiencing the order both the calibre library and the nook and yes i set it up in the metadata and it sorts it like that

i set it up in metadata i just choose a name then manually plug in the numbers in the library under series tab because they are out of order when i put them in the library and i cant exactly select them in the order i want the metadate only numbers them in the order they are in the library

your link was unhelpful especially sense they are not html i can make them epub or something like that but im having the problem with all books not just with the manga
Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
GoldThreader
Zealot

And if the problem is the file size for sending them to the device with calibre then id prefer to make them smaller.

I can get them on simply by clicking and dragging them to the nook from my devices in my computer but they take up more room than if they went through calibre and calibre crops it to fit the nook specifically when it sends it so id rather not do this
Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
yeah im trying to send them to my nook and no it doesnt ask me to convert it it freezes when they are over 20MB and i click send to device works fine when they are not that big
So your Nook handles CBZ files, excellent. I didn't know the Nook supported tis format. I'll let others speculate on your extreme slow down.

Quote:
I can get them on simply by clicking and dragging them to the nook from my devices in my computer but they take up more room than if they went through calibre and calibre crops it to fit the nook specifically when it sends it so id rather not do this
If the files are smaller when you have calibre Send them to your device then it sounds like calibre is converting them to a suitable format for the Nook, slowdown answered.

Quote:
as for where am i experiencing the order both the calibre library and the nook and yes i set it up in the metadata and it sorts it like that
Calibre has a series column, use it.

An example would look like

Series Name [index]

Astroboy [1]
Astroboy [2]
Astroboy [3]
etc...

Place your numbers in the series index area and in the calibre library the chapters or books will be in order.

Quote:
your link was unhelpful especially sense they are not html i can make them epub or something like that but im having the problem with all books not just with the manga
The reason the link was unhelpful was because I was trying to guess at the problem you were experiencing. I guessed wrong.

Sometimes two folks are just on different wave lengths and obviously my guessing isn't up to par . I'll let someone else help you further. If English isn't your first language please let me know and I will attempt to further help you through you difficulties.

In the mean time the following items might help.

The Video Tutorials sticky post.
The Methods and Examples for New calibre Users.
Calibre's Help page.

Good Luck.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
So your Nook handles CBZ files, excellent. I didn't know the Nook supported tis format. I'll let others speculate on your extreme slow down.

If the files are smaller when you have calibre Send them to your device then it sounds like calibre is converting them to a suitable format for the Nook, slowdown answered.

Calibre has a series column, use it.

An example would look like

Series Name [index]

Astroboy [1]
Astroboy [2]
Astroboy [3]
etc...

Place your numbers in the series index area and in the calibre library the chapters or books will be in order.

The reason the link was unhelpful was because I was trying to guess at the problem you were experiencing. I guessed wrong.

Sometimes two folks are just on different wave lengths and obviously my guessing isn't up to par . I'll let someone else help you further. If English isn't your first language please let me know and I will attempt to further help you through you difficulties.

In the mean time the following items might help.

The Video Tutorials sticky post.
The Methods and Examples for New calibre Users.
Calibre's Help page.

Good Luck.
as for the series number index thats what i do already and they sort themselves like i said 1 then not 2 but 10 instead then 11 through 19 then 2 then 20 and so forth well i guess that exsplains the slowdown but not the freezing and these other problems
Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
as for the series number index thats what i do already and they sort themselves like i said 1 then not 2 but 10 instead then 11 through 19 then 2 then 20 and so forth
The series column will not sort in the manner you explain. Did you create any custom columns for your own use? If you used your own text based column your info will sort as you stated.

Quote:
well i guess that exsplains the slowdown but not the freezing and these other problems
If you go to Preferences - Behavior and change job priority to low. Then convert your books to your preferred output (I'm guessing it's ePub) calibre will not freeze when converting, because the job will be handled by a calibre worker process that will run in low job priority.

But if calibre needs to convert during transfer I believe the conversion will happen in the main calibre exe. Since converting will often spike the cpu at 100% your computer may appear locked up until the conversion and transfer are complete. The conversion can take quite a while to complete. Your computer isn't locked up it is just busy doing what you told it to do.

Good Luck.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
The series column will not sort in the manner you explain. Did you create any custom columns for your own use? If you used your own text based column your info will sort as you stated.

If you go to Preferences - Behavior and change job priority to low. Then convert your books to your preferred output (I'm guessing it's ePub) calibre will not freeze when converting, because the job will be handled by a calibre worker process that will run in low job priority.

But if calibre needs to convert during transfer I believe the conversion will happen in the main calibre exe. Since converting will often spike the cpu at 100% your computer may appear locked up until the conversion and transfer are complete. The conversion can take quite a while to complete. Your computer isn't locked up it is just busy doing what you told it to do.

Good Luck.
despite you saying it does not sort them in this manner it does i go to metadata and create the name then i go to each one and type in the number when done it sorts them it ends up in the manner i described and i think its just the file sile because iv converted them beforehand with calibre then tried to send to device and it freezes up not the whole computer just calibre itself 20 MB isnt very much if it locks up the program from that it seems to me i need an alternative plus i still have the problem of how to get it to make one book from 1 folder full of zips
Old 11-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Are you typing the number in the title field? or in the series column?

I think people either aren't fulling understanding the nature of your problem or you aren't fully understanding the nature of their solution. This is one of the problems of using words to describe visual problems. A screenshot of your browser would probably help people understand your formatting conundrum far better.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
Are you typing the number in the title field? or in the series column?
Good idea.

@GoldThreader I attached a copy of my library so you might be able to compare and perhaps see how we may be doing things differently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	78719  
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Send to Device template

If the problem is the name used when sending to device:
Leading Zeros are important to prevent the 'ASCII Sort' you are seeing.
Code:
{series_index:0>2s}-{title}
the Green part pads the series with leading 0's (change the 2 to a 3 if you will have more than 99 in ANY series
(you can't change numbering plans in mid use without deleting ALL book in a series from the device and sending them fresh with the new template)
001 Foo
010 Foo
100 Foo
will be the order seen (if sorted by title on the dvice)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote