Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #31
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
For me, the very first results, right at the top, above all the Kobos, are Amazon's own products, covers for the kobo
Same for me.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No idea what's up there, but for me, the top three results of that search are Kobo devices. *shrug*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #33
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
First picture is without the Prime option being checked, second is with Prime selected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EA79838-3DD8-4432-9AA6-CBAF81D19AF4.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	173522   Click image for larger version

Name:	56BF8398-883B-47D7-BE0A-E35B8D182E2E.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	520.1 KB
ID:	173523  
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #34
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I don't have Prime, this is what I see:
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
First picture is without the Prime option being checked, second is with Prime selected.
My results don't change regardless of the Prime option.

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-17-21-23-56.png
Views:	304
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	173526

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-17-2019 at 09:32 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #36
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
This is the result I got clicking her link initially. Now clicking it results in the Kobo Clara on top.

Really just goes to show that Amazon is constantly adjusting results

Last edited by MGlitch; 09-17-2019 at 11:04 PM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:32 PM   #37
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Who wants to tell barb the first result isn’t a Kobo?
Not until into the third page of the search results does a Kindle come up for me. First 3 devices listed are Kobos with the Clara first of those as expected. Then a mix of Kobos and other makes, until get into the third page.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:43 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Who wants to tell barb the first result isn’t a Kobo?
It's tuned per Marketplace and per user (if logged in). As is Google, who think you want a Bookmark service rather than Searching for new content.

Amazon of course shows you stuff relating to what you've bought, which can be silly.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #39
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
It's tuned per Marketplace and per user (if logged in). As is Google, who think you want a Bookmark service rather than Searching for new content.

Amazon of course shows you stuff relating to what you've bought, which can be silly.
Apparently they also take sponsored products related to your search as I’ve never searched for a MobiScribe yet that was my first result initially
Old 09-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm.... The first 6 entries when I searched amazon.ca for "kobo clara hd" were cases. The 7th entry was for a Clara HD from different resellers with pricing from $151.40 Cdn to $271.89 Cdn. Hmmm... ordering from Kobo or Chapters/Indigo or Best Buy, all have the same price of $139.99 Cdn with free shipping for at least 2 of the 3.

For even more fun, the two more expensive Amazon resellers were $251.72 plus $47.40 shipping and $271.89 plus $29.99 shipping. I'm almost afraid to ask what their express shipping rates are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amazon-ca_clara_hd.png
Views:	183
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	173539  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
In comparison, finding Kobo products (or Kobo Libra directly) on Argos.ie or Argos.co.uk was instant. €179 I think (inc Irish VAT = Sales Tax so USA Prices are not comparable, I'd pay 23% tax on product + shipping cost from outside EU, if product + shipping exceeds €20.

Currys (UK or Ireland) is listed by Kobo as a seller, but they only have I think the Clara. Again instantly found on their website.

Kobo don't seem to sell direct to Ireland and after 18 months Rakusen hasn't sorted out GDPR to even let anyone in EU visit their site for discount or information.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Amazon searches return different product lists when you do the same search a day later. They 'tune' and bias per user experience
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #43
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The differences might also be if you have any type of ad-blocker installed (I do, and I get Kobo readers listed first). Or it's very likely it'll change when I do the same search in a few days.

But I agree, this is absolutely not a good or fair thing. Even the title of the article says it plainly enough: "Amazon changed search algorithm in ways that boost its own products." There is absolutely nothing about safety in the article or protecting the consumer.

The video in question is only a related article, stated clearly above the video, because it also has to do with Amazon. It is not a part of this article. Most online news sites always include that to get readers to click and read more.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #44
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The differences might also be if you have any type of ad-blocker installed (I do, and I get Kobo readers listed first)
My earlier screenshot showing Kindle covers first was on a browser without an ad-blocker active. When I try the link in a browser WITH an ad-blocker active, instead of the very top highlighted results row showing me Kindle covers, it shows Kindles instead.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #45
MGlitch
Wizard

Mine was from the Amazon app on iPhone which I figured was the least altered source outside of whatever tinkering Amazon does