Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #346
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
On the latest firmware on my Forma, if I want to see the battery left, as a percentage as opposed to an icon, I believe I have to exit my book and go back to home, then tap on the battery icon. It would be nice if you could tap on the battery icon while within a book and see the actual percentage. I think (but am not sure) that this used to be possible prior to the latest updates?
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #347
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
On the latest firmware on my Forma, if I want to see the battery left, as a percentage as opposed to an icon, I believe I have to exit my book and go back to home, then tap on the battery icon. It would be nice if you could tap on the battery icon while within a book and see the actual percentage. I think (but am not sure) that this used to be possible prior to the latest updates?
Yes, it used to be possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 09:59 PM   #348
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by desterly View Post
This is just a "nice to have" but can we add a patch to libnickel to remove the exclusive hold on event0?

Miniclock does it on first boot if need be but it requires an extra reboot after patch install (yes I know I'm lazy)

from Miniclock:
Code:
sed -i -e 's@/dev/input/event0:keymap=keys/device.qmap:grab=1@/dev/input/event0:keymap=keys/device.qmap:grab=0@' "$libnickel"
Your wish is my command .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #349
Chaplan
Chaplan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Just a little question, I use the Kobo in English, my devices are all set to English, but I don't enjoy the am/pm clock stuff.
On my mother language it changes to 24h clock so it's possible to have a 24h clock.
Would a patch be possible for this? English with 24h clock.
Chaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #350
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplan View Post
Just a little question, I use the Kobo in English, my devices are all set to English, but I don't enjoy the am/pm clock stuff.
On my mother language it changes to 24h clock so it's possible to have a 24h clock.
Yes, I think so. I'll look at this later.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #351
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
No need for a patch. If you look in '.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf' there is a section that says:

[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=en_US

Change the locale to 'en_GB' if you want European dates and a 24h clock. You can look here for other English locales supported (I think 'en_NZ' gives you US-style dates and a 24h clock).

Last edited by mbovenka; 10-04-2019 at 09:45 AM.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #352
Chaplan
Chaplan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
No need for a patch. If you look in '.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf' there is a section that says:

[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=en_US

Change the locale to 'en_GB' if you want European dates and a 24h clock. You can look here for other English locales supported (I think 'en_NZ' gives you US-style dates and a 24h clock).
Works wonders...👌
Chaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #353
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Works wonders...👌
Yep. I've been running that way since my first Kobo. Being Dutch, I also wanted DD/MM/YYYY dates & 24h clock, but with the UI in English.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #354
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Thanks for this. Seems to work fine on my Forma

Before I wreck any of my non-button devices ...

I usually create just one patched KoboRoot.tgz file and use it for all my devices. Will my ClaraHD (also running MiniClock) come to any harm because this new patch is enabled?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #355
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Thanks for this. Seems to work fine on my Forma

Before I wreck any of my non-button devices ...

I usually create just one patched KoboRoot.tgz file and use it for all my devices. Will my ClaraHD (also running MiniClock) come to any harm because this new patch is enabled?
Nope.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #356
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Nope.
My ClaraHD seems to be still alive, so thanks
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #357
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, every Kobo has an event0, so that string is universal.

That's where the power button event goes, for an example of something (hopefully ;D) universal .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #358
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Update sickel.yaml patch?

Would someone be willing to update the disable sickel timeout patch first introduced in 4.10 to work with current firmwares? And/Or find a way to make the timeout value user-configurable rather than hard-coded at 20 or 30 seconds (or even better, be able to disable sickel from kicking in entirely; it's really easy to force a hard power-off with the power button if need be if the device really has locked up after all)?

Spoiler:
Code:
sickel reboot timeout (20 sec):
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: increases sickel reboot time if no ping from 10s to 20s
  - PatchGroup: sickel reboot timeout
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x003498, FindH: 42 F2 10 71, ReplaceH: 44 F6 20 61}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x0034AA, FindH: 42 F2 10 71, ReplaceH: 44 F6 20 61}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x0036F6, FindH: 44 F6 20 61, ReplaceH: 49 F6 40 41}

sickel reboot timeout (30 sec):
  - Description: increases sickel reboot time if no ping from 10s to 30s
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x003498, FindH: 42 F2 10 71, ReplaceH: 47 F2 30 51}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x0034AA, FindH: 42 F2 10 71, ReplaceH: 47 F2 30 51}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x0036F6, FindH: 44 F6 20 61, ReplaceH: 4E F6 60 21}

I'm asking because I saw in the 4.18 firmware thread some users complaining that some books now make their devices inconsistently reboot when open, and I suspect a larger timeout would help work around it. On my device with a ridiculously large collection/database, everything is slower so anything I open that needs the Adobe renderer (regular epubs, pdfs, cbz, etc.) takes longer and will usually trigger sickel consistently (I personally needed at least 120 seconds myself to be safe in a few cases; maybe longer now since my collection has only grown since 4.10 but 30 seconds definitely isn't enough for me anymore), but I now use koreader for those files. An updated sickel patch (with a larger default timeout or even better, sickel disabled entirely) would allow me to start using nickel for those files again, though (which would be nice since I find koreader eats up more battery in the same amount of reading time compared to nickel which I doubt much can be done about without entirely recoding koreader).

Last edited by rtiangha; 10-04-2019 at 10:59 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #359
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
update the disable sickel timeout patch
try

Spoiler:
Code:
sickel reboot timeout (20 sec):
  - Description: increases sickel reboot time if no ping from 10s to 20s
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x0035BC, FindH: 42 F2 10 71, ReplaceH: 44 F6 20 61}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x0035CE, FindH: 42 F2 10 71, ReplaceH: 44 F6 20 61}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x00381A, FindH: 44 F6 20 61, ReplaceH: 49 F6 40 41}

sickel reboot timeout (30 sec):
  - Description: increases sickel reboot time if no ping from 10s to 30s
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x0035BC, FindH: 42 F2 10 71, ReplaceH: 47 F2 30 51}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x0035CE, FindH: 42 F2 10 71, ReplaceH: 47 F2 30 51}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x00381A, FindH: 44 F6 20 61, ReplaceH: 4E F6 60 21}
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #360
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
To make applying Semwize's sickel patch a bit easier for those who don't play much with the patcher

Copy the patch into sickel.yaml located in the src directory. I've attached a copy of the file to this message.

Add the following bolded lines to kobopatch.yaml matching the use of spaces in the current version:

Code:
patches:
  src/nickel.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/nickel
  src/libadobe.so.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0
  src/sickel.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/sickel

overrides: 
  src/sickel.yaml: 
    sickel reboot timeout (20 sec): no 
    sickel reboot timeout (30 sec): yes 
  src/nickel.yaml: 
    Show all games: no
If you don't use overrides, you can leave that section out and add the yes/no to the sickel.yaml file. Personally, I find the overrides very handy as they easily move between versions.

Edit: Forgot to mention that since Mobileread does not allow yaml as an upload file type, you will have to download the sickel.yaml.txt file and rename it to sickel.yaml.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sickel.yaml.txt (855 Bytes, 166 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 10-06-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added rename required for sickel.yaml
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests