Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #28531
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Rereading, (or rather listening to on Audible,) Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfus. I can't wait for The Doors of Stone to be released.

Patrick Rothfus is a lot like George RR Martin, (in more than just style): The last book in his series was published in 2011. And he's working on a TV series at the same time, so publication will be delayed further.

Arrrggghhh!

Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #28532
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
I've lost any urgency to read The Doors of Stone. I am sure I will IF, when it comes out, it is actually the final book and not just the final book of the prologue. As you can see, that's a big "if" given where the story is right now. If this doesn't have a decent wrap-up I will wait until it is actually finished. Or just drop it altogether. At this point I would want to do a re-read anyway but I'm not going to do that if there is another long wait expected after it comes out before the current story is resolved.

That said, I do appreciate his candor in the Tor.com article from April (emphasis mine):
Quote:
“Kingkiller, my work on the books, is—again, it might seem strange for people to hear—but nobody laments the lack of tangible progress more than me, in terms of the next Kingkiller book,” Rothfuss told Cunningham. “But things are moving forward, if not fast—again, I’ve never promised fast, ever since I knew what I was good at professionally. I made promises very early on in interviews where I’m like, ‘Yeah, I’m going to do these books one a year.’ But I was an idiot. I had just been published for like two months, I had no idea what I was talking about.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #28533
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
I've finished Perfect Wives in Ideal Homes by Virginia Nicholson, a social history of women in 1950s Britain, which was most enjoyable. I'm currently reading Stand into Danger, the fourth Richard Bolitho novel set in the age of sail, as I cast around for replacements for the Aubrey/Maturin and Sharpe series, where I'm winding down with both.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #28534
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was also good fun. A period of history I knew only in broad outline. So straight onto the next in the series, The Lord of Ireland.
Which was also very good. A most enjoyable look at 12th century Ireland.

Then I read The Disappeared by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, which was good, but didn't make enough of its setting, IMO.

And now I'm reading The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin Dexter. The third in his Inspector Morse series. Morse is even more fond of a pint in the books than in the TV series!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #28535
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I've been reading Elements of Horror: Earth from Redcape publishing. Short stories themed on the element, with 3 more volumes coming for Air, Fire and Water. The quality of the stories is outstanding in this one. I hope the others are as good! Love a good monster story.
Finished reading this now. Highly recommended for any Horror readers!

Perusing my Kindle for a good ghost or haunted house story now. It's nearly October, time for serious Halloween reading!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #28536
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which was also very good. A most enjoyable look at 12th century Ireland.

Then I read The Disappeared by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, which was good, but didn't make enough of its setting, IMO.

And now I'm reading The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin Dexter. The third in his Inspector Morse series. Morse is even more fond of a pint in the books than in the TV series!
And that was OK. Next up: The Fairy's Tale. by F. D. Lee. I'm not too impressed so far, but there a glimmer there that it might turn out well. We'll see.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #28537
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yesterday I finished “Prudence” by Gail Carriger, the first “Custard Protocol” book. It was so fun to get back to the Parasolverse! Rue’s a fun character, there’s new shapeshifters, and it was all so joyful to read.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #28538
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
So it's been a few months since I posted on here. I had found some time to read, but not for much sharing. So, to make up for lost ground, here's a list of the highlights since my last post on this thread...

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King. Not bad but I was expecting (or at least hoping for) better. Too predictable, and two Holmeses doesn't work anywhere near as well as a Holmes and a Watson ... but it was well enough executed to want to finish it: 3/5.

The Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Quest to Crack an Ancient Code by Margalit Fox. We read this in the book club, best to read the comments there.

The Binding by Bridget Collins. Loved this. A story that grew on me slowly, seeming almost ordinary at the start but getting less so with each turn. 4.5/5 (it might get favourite status on next read ... perhaps).

The Sock Wars by Maia Sepp. I liked this a lot. A fairly simple coming of age story, but the age in question is 30. Felt very real, with some subtle humour, and it all came together for an excellent conclusion. A firm 4/5.

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Very good science fiction. The ending was a bit corny (which is common in classic Sci-Fi), but both the human and non-human halves of this were very well done all the way through. 4/5.

The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. Disappointingly one-dimensional, I was expecting more. The world may be ending, but who cares? Not the author apparently. I stretch to 3/5 only because the one dimension was well told.

A Year of Ravens: A Novel of Boudica's Rebellion by Stephanie Dray, Ruth Downie, Russel Whitfield, Vicky Alvear Shecter, S.J.A. Turney, Kate Quinn, Eliza Knight. An interesting reading experience, but really could have done with some tighter editing it seemed to me. Parts 6 and 5 were the stand-outs for me. 3/5.

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. Wonderfully done. The deft touch with all the characters. Moving, sometimes funny and sometimes tragic. 4/5.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells. A entertaining little sci-fi novella. It leaves a lot for later books, and I enjoyed this enough that I probably will read on, but not so much that I'm in a hurry to do so. A tentative 4/5.

Gentlemen & Players by Joanne Harris. I stopped after four chapters, and then jumped to the end to confirm I was right (I wasn't enjoying myself enough to tag along for the ride). YMMV. 2/5.

Eclipse Three edited by Jonathan Strahan. A good collection of sci-fi and fantasy. A comfortable 3/5.

The Suspect by Michael Robotham. A very good yarn with slowly building suspense. 4/5. I've already bought more.

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro. A good collection of stories, but nothing here as memorable as his full novels. 3/5. I did like the story "Come Rain or Come Shine" in particular.

Frogkisser! by Garth Nix. The story is, for the most part, a fairly predictable children's fairytale with some fun little twists. Intended for younger readers, it is amusing but not that satisfying for an adult reader. 3/5.

The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District by James Rebanks. Another book club selection, see comments there.

Murder at the Fitzwilliam by Jim Eldridge. It was okay, if a bit stilted at the beginning. The romance was a bit cheesy but the historical mystery was satisfying enough. 3/5.

On Red Station, Drifting by Aliette de Bodard. I really liked the very human interactions in this novella, and the Asian cultural aspects where interesting, but I found the sci-fi setting less than convincing. 3/5.

Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by K J Parker. I found the narrator annoying, and the ending unsatisfying, but there are some clever elements along the way. 3/5.

Paper Towns by John Green. I enjoyed this very much. It has similar style and themes to his other books. Lots of humour, and some well presented insights. Not exactly subtle, but I quite like that, and this is intended for YA. 4/5.

Last edited by gmw; 09-28-2019 at 09:47 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #28539
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
I'm reading:

They Were Her Property: White Women as Slave Owners in the American South by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers, an account of women as slave owners and agents in the southern economy and not just as the wives of slave owners. It strikes me as very important; it's also unbearable.

Circe by Madeline Miller. It's entertaining enough, but I feel that, having recently read The Silence of the Girls and The Penelopiad (neither of which I liked), that I'm going to this type of thing too frequently. At least this one is much better.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #28540
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm reading Rebecca West's This Real Night, the second book in the Aubrey Trilogy.

I'm listening to Bob Nuefeld's excellent Librivox reading of Nathaniel Hawthorne's Twice Told Tales.
I finished both of these.

I also listened to The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick and did not like it at all. I wanted a biography and I got 25% biography, 45% memoir, and 30% 25-year old internet speak about important social issues. I don't care if the author wants to write her memoir or discuss social issues using phrases such as "Netflix and chill" unironically. But I do care when I thought I was getting the biography of an artist of Hollywood. I listened to it on double-speed so I only lost 4 hours on that one.

I am currently listening to A Gentleman of Moscow by Amor Toles.

I am planning to start The Haunting of Tram Car 015 tonight on my Kobo.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #28541
poohbear_nc
Not Your Dinner
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You know that your head is in a strange space when you realize your current reading selections are Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes Trilogy and Wallace Steven's Collected Poems.

And you're enjoying both ...

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-02-2019 at 09:31 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:47 AM   #28542
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
And that was OK. Next up: The Fairy's Tale. by F. D. Lee. I'm not too impressed so far, but there a glimmer there that it might turn out well. We'll see.
It turned out OK. I've added the others to my watch list.

Now I'm reading Tyger Burning by T.C.McCarthy. Quite well done, but I'm not sure I buy the premise.

I'm also reading Paddington takes the Air, which is the ninth Paddington book, and the usual collection of misadventures.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #28543
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I'm also reading Paddington takes the Air, which is the ninth Paddington book, and the usual collection of misadventures.
The usual Paddington fun, and only a little cringe-worthy.

Continuing with Tyger Burning by T.C.McCarthy
Old 10-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #28544
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Lee Child’s Running Blind and it was a typically very good Child reading. Give it four plus stars.

Next up, the latest John Sandford, Bloody Genius
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:16 AM   #28545
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Currently reading Witch of the Federation by Michael Anderle and listening to Fool Moon by Jim Butcher when out on errands and Stalking the Dragon by Mike Resnick when not. I only listen to something I've heard before when running errands and I'm going through a Dresden Files relisten in anticipation of the new book in 2020.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote