Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 01:20 AM   #181
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't like the idea of perpetual copyright. I also don't like the US copyright being so stupid. Life+95 is because Mickey Mouse bribed the government to up the copyright time.
For current works by an individual, US Copyright length is life+70 years. Corporate works are publication+95 years.

Personally, I favour (publication + 50 years) or (lifetime of the author) whichever is longer.

This give ample protection for works written near the end of an author's life for any dependents, but also doesn't result in insanely long copyrights for works written at the start of an author's lifetime.

It was the UK copyright length at the end of the 1800s, but when the UK jined the Berne convention we switched to life+50.

In practice, I can see any possible reduction of copyright length below life+50. The life+70 we currently have is, of course, even worse.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote