Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #316
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I've been using this release for a few days now and I have yet to find something the old one did better.
The one thing I would like to see: Desensitize ON PAGE LINKS in the page turn area (edges) everywhere. I frequent get false selections, when I was just trying to turn a page
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
The best way to fix this is to switch to swipe only to turn pages.

I actually have the reverse problem -- links near the bottom and sides of the screen are very difficult to activate, even with page turn set to swipe only.
I already had my reader set to swipe only, but I frequently attempt to turn a page and accidentally bring up the menu. I guess I'll try experimenting with the settings for which part of the page is for tapping and see if that reduces my error rate.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #317
catsknit
Groupie
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra
Has anyone been able to get Calibre working fully with this? When I connect it, it says it can send books but can't manage collections or delete books on my new Libra due to its updated firmware. (Instead, the Libra downloaded all the books i've ever bought from Kobo and made its own collections which I'd like to trash, since I've set up Calibre to make proper shelves based on genre) I am running Calibre 3.48 but have not updated to the latest as there have been so many complaints about some of the features and I figured I'd just wait until any bugs were fixed.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #318
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Has anyone been able to get Calibre working fully with this? When I connect it, it says it can send books but can't manage collections or delete books on my new Libra due to its updated firmware. (Instead, the Libra downloaded all the books i've ever bought from Kobo and made its own collections which I'd like to trash, since I've set up Calibre to make proper shelves based on genre) I am running Calibre 3.48 but have not updated to the latest as there have been so many complaints about some of the features and I figured I'd just wait until any bugs were fixed.
The complaints are mostly about the viewer. Otherwise the latest Calibre works as usual. And yep, working nicely with my Libra.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #319
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Has anyone been able to get Calibre working fully with this? When I connect it, it says it can send books but can't manage collections or delete books on my new Libra due to its updated firmware.
And if you read the warning shown, or read one of the far to many posts about this, you would see what to do.
Quote:
(Instead, the Libra downloaded all the books i've ever bought from Kobo and made its own collections which I'd like to trash, since I've set up Calibre to make proper shelves based on genre)
The device does not make collections, ever. The collections you have are those created by you on your older device, synced to the Kobo server and then synced back to your new device.
Quote:
I am running Calibre 3.48 but have not updated to the latest as there have been so many complaints about some of the features and I figured I'd just wait until any bugs were fixed.
As @Sirtel said, most of the issues are with the viewer. If you don't use the viewer, you won't see much in the way of changes. And quite a lot were fixed with version 4.1.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #320
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
Quote:

Just update your calibre. Or, if like me, you have an older Mac and can't 'officially' update to the newest OS and therefore can't update to the newest calibre, then try this:

Steps:

1) click the down arrow on DEVICE in the Menu
2) click CONFIGURE THIS DEVICE
3) choose METADATA, ON DEVICE & ADVANCED
4) choose ADVANCED OPTIONS (bottom of box) and select ATTEMPT TO SUPPORT NEWER FIRMWARE.

This worked perfectly for me.

(If I've misunderstood your issue, then please disregard everything here.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #321
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just update your calibre. Or, if like me, you have an older Mac and can't 'officially' update to the newest OS and therefore can't update to the newest calibre, then try this:

Steps:

1) click the down arrow on DEVICE in the Menu
2) click CONFIGURE THIS DEVICE
3) choose METADATA, ON DEVICE & ADVANCED
4) choose ADVANCED OPTIONS (bottom of box) and select ATTEMPT TO SUPPORT NEWER FIRMWARE.

This worked perfectly for me.

(If I've misunderstood your issue, then please disregard everything here.)
But depending on the MAC you have, you can update to Catalina unofficially.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

There you go. Go have a look and see if you have a MAC that would work well enough with Catalina.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #322
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
That's why I put the word officially in quotes.

However, thanks Jon.

I have a second (back-up) OS of High Sierra as an internal HD-drive on my Mac (in place of the CD-Rom drive). My primary OS is on an SSD. I may do some experimenting, even though the mac graphics card will probably be the culprit.

(I have a 13-inch, Mid-2010 Macbook Pro.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #323
catsknit
Groupie
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The complaints are mostly about the viewer. Otherwise the latest Calibre works as usual. And yep, working nicely with my Libra.
Thanks, I'll go ahead and risk it then
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #324
catsknit
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

The device does not make collections, ever. The collections you have are those created by you on your older device, synced to the Kobo server and then synced back to your new device.

As @Sirtel said, most of the issues are with the viewer. If you don't use the viewer, you won't see much in the way of changes. And quite a lot were fixed with version 4.1.
I only had collections based on genre, and only about 10 total, on my old Kobo. Somehow (maybe in something I had checked without realizing), it made a separation collection for any book which has a series associated with it, even though I usually only have 1 book in the series. So, instead of just having 1 shelf of Mystery, I have dozens of shelves with one book each.

Good to know about the new Calibre; I will update and play around.