Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #42466
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
A bit of an update on the Family Thing.

Now that our lawyer has studied the verdict, it turns out it isn't a proper, final verdict but a interim verdict (?). According to our lawyer it was really unusual and really nice of the judge to do so, it helped us to decide whether or not we wanted to go further with the agreement we had last summer and my uncle blocked at the last minute. We don't.

Although the interim verdict isn't set in stone, it does give a good indication of what it will be. In it the judge has decided that we have to pay the original price for our home. In the agreement last year my father had offered €20k more, mostly to get the whole thing over and done with. So of course we don't want to go on with the old agreement! Our lawyer also thinks the judge is just fed up with my uncle's (mis)behaviour. The was already noticeable the last time in court.

A fun little thing is that since we declined my uncle doesn't have any say in it. If we had wanted to take the agreement further he was legally allowed to have his say. Now he doesn't!

We also talked to the solicitor dealing with my grandmother's estate. If all is said and done there will be a couple of thousand euros left over, if we're lucky and my uncle doesn't cause a fuss, per child of my grandmother. We want my uncle to repay €5000 he used from my grandmother's money to pay for his and his partner's insurance and sex dating websites. Also, there are still several unpaid bills for my uncle's lawyer, he wants the estate to pay those, despite a judge having decided he has to pay his own lawyer fees.

The court wanted our reaction by next Wednesday, after that we have to wait until the final verdict, then my uncle's got three months to decide whether or not he wants to appeal (just starting that procedure will cost him €10000, plus a specialized lawyer). If my uncle doesn't want to take it any further things can be set into motion for the sale, although we fully expect my uncle to throw various tantrums and delays things.

None of us can still believe what is happening. Though we're all cautious not to get too happy. So far it always ended in a disappointment.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #42467
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
A bit of an update on the Family Thing.

Now that our lawyer has studied the verdict, it turns out it isn't a proper, final verdict but a interim verdict (?). According to our lawyer it was really unusual and really nice of the judge to do so, it helped us to decide whether or not we wanted to go further with the agreement we had last summer and my uncle blocked at the last minute. We don't.

Although the interim verdict isn't set in stone, it does give a good indication of what it will be. In it the judge has decided that we have to pay the original price for our home. In the agreement last year my father had offered €20k more, mostly to get the whole thing over and done with. So of course we don't want to go on with the old agreement! Our lawyer also thinks the judge is just fed up with my uncle's (mis)behaviour. The was already noticeable the last time in court.

A fun little thing is that since we declined my uncle doesn't have any say in it. If we had wanted to take the agreement further he was legally allowed to have his say. Now he doesn't!

We also talked to the solicitor dealing with my grandmother's estate. If all is said and done there will be a couple of thousand euros left over, if we're lucky and my uncle doesn't cause a fuss, per child of my grandmother. We want my uncle to repay €5000 he used from my grandmother's money to pay for his and his partner's insurance and sex dating websites. Also, there are still several unpaid bills for my uncle's lawyer, he wants the estate to pay those, despite a judge having decided he has to pay his own lawyer fees.

The court wanted our reaction by next Wednesday, after that we have to wait until the final verdict, then my uncle's got three months to decide whether or not he wants to appeal (just starting that procedure will cost him €10000, plus a specialized lawyer). If my uncle doesn't want to take it any further things can be set into motion for the sale, although we fully expect my uncle to throw various tantrums and delays things.

None of us can still believe what is happening. Though we're all cautious not to get too happy. So far it always ended in a disappointment.
It's too bad that you're not mean-spirited enough to video your uncle's tantrums and put 'em on the net. See...I'm mean enough, where I would. As ye sow...

I'm feeling very positive about all this for you, Rumple. :-) SO good.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:02 AM   #42468
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only contact we have with my uncle goes through our lawyer or my grandmother estate's solicitor. The only time we see him is when we have to go to court. And yes, even in court he doesn't behave like a normal person, but you're not allowed to film in court.

But yes, I would love to have been a fly on the wall when my uncle got the news last week.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:40 AM   #42469
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
But yes, I would love to have been a fly on the wall when my uncle got the news last week.
I've got my fingers crossed for you.

"It takes two to make an argument" - one of the most untrue proverbs around.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #42470
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've got my fingers crossed for you.

"It takes two to make an argument" - one of the most untrue proverbs around.
Thank you.

About your opinion about the proverb, I couldn't agree more. Especially when you're dealing with a narcissist.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #42471
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
moaning, groaning and subexisting...

Last edited by trichobezoar; 10-13-2019 at 08:40 AM.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:29 AM   #42472
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Preparing for a busy day.

First we're going to pick up the new car. Well, not new. It was manufactured in 2000, the same year as our current car, but it's been taken care of a lot better. Ours being parked outside in the city center for about 10 years now. It's, again, a Renault Espace.

Then we have to pick up a couple of things at a supplier. And finally we're going to the store I wanted to go to. A store that sells items for businesses. Everything from displays to decorations and from cash registers to packing materials. I want to buy some displays for jewelry and see if they have some small decorative items, for when I want to take pictures of the jewelry I make. Those thins cost a lot less than when I order them online from regular sellers.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #42473
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I got my own combination microwave/oven upstairs in the utility room.

I recently got one of those cherry stone filled pillows you can heat up, since I don't trust a hot water bottle. But had to go downstairs to heat it up, not a problem usually, but recently I needed to heat it up in the middle of the night due to cramps and those stairs aren't fun in the dark. Also, I regularly heat up snacks or bread rolls.

So I was looking for a cheap combination when my mother said I could have their old one. Our current fridge is bigger than the one it replaced and even with some shuffling of appliances we also needed to get a smaller microwave/oven. But since the old one was still working fine my parents put it away "just in case".

This week I made space for it in the utility room and just now my father got it off the shelf and upstairs. It seems to work. I still need to clean the inside and the trays and glass plate. But on Sunday I'm going to make a cake to test it.

I'm happy; I haven't been able to bake a satisfactory cake in the "new" microwave/oven. The oven is good for heating up bread rolls and lasagna, but even a simple tray of brownies is hard to make. I like to bake, but haven't done much of it since it's so frustrating. I haven't got enough space for preparations upstairs, but I can do that in the kitchen and bake upstairs.

Now I'm looking for some necessary oven/microwave/baking accessories I'll need.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #42474
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You can also make a hot water bottle REPLACEMENT with dry raw rice. I put it into a man's dress sock (tighter weave than a cotton sport sock) and just knot the ankle part. They work very well, and rice is cheap.

Oh, and when I finally DO replace the rice in a hot-sock (maybe a year later), I save the old rice to wash out the insides of drinking bottles. A few tablespoons of rice with water and soap, will add more scrubbing power when you shake the bottle.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #42475
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
You can also make a hot water bottle REPLACEMENT with dry raw rice. I put it into a man's dress sock (tighter weave than a cotton sport sock) and just knot the ankle part. They work very well, and rice is cheap.

Oh, and when I finally DO replace the rice in a hot-sock (maybe a year later), I save the old rice to wash out the insides of drinking bottles. A few tablespoons of rice with water and soap, will add more scrubbing power when you shake the bottle.
I do that too - it can make the rice taste a bit funny when you cook it but with a spoonful of ghost pepper no one will notice...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #42476
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

A tiny update on the current Family Thing courtcase.

Our lawyer saw that our case is scheduled for December 13. Whether there will a verdict or not we'll have to wait and see. But with the interim verdict last month chances are higher this time around. We thought my uncle would have three months to decide whether or not he wants to appeal, but last night my mother found something online which said it was two or three weeks. But it should say how much time he has in the verdict.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #42477
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

What would my family be without some drama.

A couple of weeks ago I went through my Facebook lists and unfriended en unfollowed a bunch of people, businesses and groups. Including my uncle's twins. First of all one of them hasn't posted anything in two years and the other occasionally posts about meetings she attends and/or organizes (nothing that interests me). Also considering the behaviour of their older siblings towards my this year and the fact that they couldn't even be bothered to let my cousin know whether they were coming to the get together she organized. I assumed they weren't interested in having anything to do with that side of the family.

One of them noticed that I unfriended her today. On the Facebook family chat she went off on a rant about how we didn't like them because of their father, blah blah blah. It isn't true, they can't help it that their father is a narcissistic jerk. But although they say they didn't agree with their father (either they lied or something has changed) their behaviour tells differently. I wasn't even going to bother answering, but my aunt's oldest daughter did (she was really annoyed at how they treated us and them this year). Writing that considering the tone of the message and their recent behaviour she wasn't surprised I unfriended them. And she also promptly did the same. I haven't answered and I'm not planning to. In fact, if they keep posting these types of messages I'm going to block them. I just can't be bothered with their crap anymore.

I might be a bit paranoid, but it wouldn't surprise me if they kept me friended to see if I posted anything "incriminating". I wouldn't, but if we win I'm not holding back anymore.

On a more positive note: I'm waiting for brownies to finish baking. I decided that after the past week of dealing with a UTI and various side effects of the antibiotics and today's drama I deserved fresh brownies. When they're done I'm going to continue with Marianne on Netflix, I watched the first episode last night and was thoroughly creeped out, that doesn't happen often and I love it!
Old 10-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #42478
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
What would my family be without some drama.

A couple of weeks ago I went through my Facebook...

(SNIP)
Your whole post encapsulates why I have never considered having a Facebook account. I much prefer that no one can find me. Ever.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #42479
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Your whole post encapsulates why I have never considered having a Facebook account. I much prefer that no one can find me. Ever.
That's how I feel about it, but as a business, we're kinda stuck having a FB presence. I really, really HATE FB and all social media. I think that social media and the immediacy of smartphones are seriously contributing to the destruction of the fabric of human society and interaction, with outrage addiction being fed and the pursuit of knowledge being horribly diminished.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #42480
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
That's how I feel about it, but as a business, we're kinda stuck having a FB presence. I really, really HATE FB and all social media. I think that social media and the immediacy of smartphones are seriously contributing to the destruction of the fabric of human society and interaction, with outrage addiction being fed and the pursuit of knowledge being horribly diminished.
I have a Facebook account. But I don't post to it and my profile is deliberately as sparse as possible. I only use it to keep up on a few people I care about who are also on Facebook. I assume anything I post to FB is visible to World+Dog, and am circumspect about what I post in consequence.

I tell other folks "FB is an infinite time sink, and it's too easy to get lost in it."

I'm philosophical about social media. It's not going away, but I have only so many hours in a day to devote to it. I have a Twitter account, but never use it. I have a LinkedIn account, but LinkedIn has been steadily reducing the utility of their forums, which were the only parts I used. (When the forum has a 4K character limit on posts, and you are involved in discussions where there isn't a short answer to some questions, you give up trying to provide answers there.)

The social media I miss is Google+. That's a micro-blogging platform far better suited to the sorts of things I do, but Google killed it off after a data breach. (It still exists as a paid GSuite app.) Google never seemed to understand what it had and how it fit into the rest of their services. Google has historically been "Let's throw it against the wall and see what sticks" in terms of product development, and never seemed to have an overall idea of how the pieces fit together.

I think part of the problem is where the revenue comes from. If your revenue comes from advertising, there is a disconnect between you and the people who use your services. I have similar issues with Mozilla. Because their funding comes from advertising agreements, there is a disconnect with the user base, and a fair bit of stuff done to Firefox left me saying "Did it occur to you to talk the Firefox users about this?"

I'm reaching the point where I think a strength of proprietary software is that when you make your money because people buy] your programs, you have good reasons to keep in touch with your customers and see what they want and need, so they'll continue to buy your software.

Open source projects don't have that incentive and suffer accordingly.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?