Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Bitl
Bitl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader WiFi 2010 N647 (FW 1.9.12)
Kobo EReader WiFi 2010 - Accidentally bricked it. Is there a way to get it reset?

Hi,

After I posted my last thread I decided to flash the original firmware on it so I went to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases

I copied the koboroot.tgz of 1.9.12 to the .kobo folder and my reader is now in a reboot loop.

is there any way to fix this?
Bitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitl View Post
Hi,

After I posted my last thread I decided to flash the original firmware on it so I went to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases

I copied the koboroot.tgz of 1.9.12 to the .kobo folder and my reader is now in a reboot loop.

is there any way to fix this?
Why would you want to go back to such an old firmware? The problem is most likely that the old firmware cannot handle the updated database. You can try a factory reset. Here's how to do such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Turn off the device. Turn it back on while holding the HOME button. This will trigger the factory reset. There is no YES/NO prompt - and please don't turn off the unit while it's doing this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Bitl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you want to go back to such an old firmware? The problem is most likely that the old firmware cannot handle the updated database. You can try a factory reset. Here's how to do such.
i've tried this multiple times.

the reason why i went to that old firmware was that the device officially updated to that when i first got it.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i've tried this multiple times.

the reason why i went to that old firmware was that the device officially updated to that when i first got it.
If you are going back that many firmware releases, you really should factory reset and then update if need be.

But why would you want to to go back to the firmware your Kobo firmware first upgraded to? It's nowhere near as good as the current 4.18.x firmware.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Jon read his other thread the reader likely never saw a firmware newer than 1.9.12

Bitl what happens when you try the reset method, are you given the prompt to reset, or are you unable to get to that point? The more details you give us the better we can help you.

Does anything happen when you plug it in to a computer?

Assuming it’s never been on a firmware newer than 1.9.12 I would suspect the sd card may be bad, but I’m by no means an expert on this stuff.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Bitl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Jon read his other thread the reader likely never saw a firmware newer than 1.9.12

Bitl what happens when you try the reset method, are you given the prompt to reset, or are you unable to get to that point? The more details you give us the better we can help you.

Does anything happen when you plug it in to a computer?

Assuming it’s never been on a firmware newer than 1.9.12 I would suspect the sd card may be bad, but I’m by no means an expert on this stuff.
I don't have a prompt to reset when i press the button on the back, the device just reboots and begins the reboot loop all over. as for the hard reset process it just doesn't do anything.

However i found a way to get to a different screen by pressing power and menu. There it makes a usb partition where you install updates. I copied the contents of my kobo3-upgrade-1.9.12.zip and it applied the update, and then it froze upon loading at 5 "blocks". I might have to try and fix it via a sd card image if i can find one for my wifi N647.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
If it's never seen a firmware newer then 1.9.12, then why reinstall the same firmware? My guess is that a sync was dine and a newer firmware was installed. The database was changed. Then 1.9.12 was attempted to be installed and because it doesn't like the new database, it reboots. This is why it's said that if you go back to factory reset first.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it's never seen a firmware newer then 1.9.12, then why reinstall the same firmware? My guess is that a sync was dine and a newer firmware was installed. The database was changed. Then 1.9.12 was attempted to be installed and because it doesn't like the new database, it reboots. This is why it's said that if you go back to factory reset first.
Jon again read the other post.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I don't have a prompt to reset when i press the button on the back, the device just reboots and begins the reboot loop all over. as for the hard reset process it just doesn't do anything.

However i found a way to get to a different screen by pressing power and menu. There it makes a usb partition where you install updates. I copied the contents of my kobo3-upgrade-1.9.12.zip and it applied the update, and then it froze upon loading at 5 "blocks". I might have to try and fix it via a sd card image if i can find one for my wifi N647.
The problem is that you installed the wrong firmware. The page you got firmware from makes no mention of the WiFi. It is for devices starting with the Touch. The file you chose was for the Touch. It won't work on the WiFi and I'm a little surprised it is even getting as far as it is. I don't remember if there is a 1.9.12 for the WiFi, or if 1.9.11 was the last.

I have sent you a PM with a link for the image for the WiFi N647. You can write that to the card and it should fix things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
Bitl

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The problem is that you installed the wrong firmware. The page you got firmware from makes no mention of the WiFi. It is for devices starting with the Touch. The file you chose was for the Touch. It won't work on the WiFi and I'm a little surprised it is even getting as far as it is. I don't remember if there is a 1.9.12 for the WiFi, or if 1.9.11 was the last.

I have sent you a PM with a link for the image for the WiFi N647. You can write that to the card and it should fix things.
Everything works now after writing to a spare sd card and replacing the internal one!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
AnotherUnique
AnotherUnique began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless (N647B)
I have a Kobo WiFi (N647B) and I'm looking for either the original image, or the version 1.9.10 that it had. The reader attempted to do an update to 1.9.12 and now will not get past the loading screen with the 7 boxes at bottom. Can I make this request in this thread, or should I open a new thread with my question?
AnotherUnique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.

For image requests, there are threads for each device. I ask that those are used. For the WiFi, use https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=230628.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote