Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #16
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Dazin, can you make a leaf circuit board with a Reader instead of a pBook?
I wish I could but I don't have the skills for that. My original thought was to have a leaf on an ereader but I couldn't find any good starting points for that (at least not that was legal to use.) These are from a CC0 licensed stock photo that I cropped in a couple different ways and added some text to. If someone does have the skills to make something from scratch I would love for them to come up with something.

Regarding a vote, personally I don't think we really need a vote for this. If someone has something that they like they can feel free to use it. If enough people like it, I will add it to the FAQ thread. I'm not sure what the floor is for that, I don't think we need to add everything, but we'll figure something out.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How about taking whatever we use, putting it on an eInk Reader and then getting a photo of the screen,cropping as needed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #18
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
How about taking whatever we use, putting it on an eInk Reader and then getting a photo of the screen,cropping as needed?
I was just thinking this, unfortunately I don’t have photo editing skills, but maybe you can JSWolf? I can’t be bothered with paper books any more, too heavy and cumbersome to keep open etc, so I would definitely consider an image with a gadget

Me likes gadgets, as you might have noticed from my avatar
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can put an image on my H2O, take a photo of it, crop as needed and post. What I think would be good if someone can find or make is a leaf that looks like it's part of a motherboard.

How's this sound...

On top, New Leaf
In the middle, the leaf
On the bottom, Book Club

And if wanted, on the left side a generic Reader and on the right an audio player for audiobooks...

If anyone has an idea for the font to be used, please say.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-29-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #20
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
—- if someone can find or make is a leaf that looks like it's part of a motherboard.
Do you mean something like getting an old motherboard or similar, and forming it into a leaf shape? Or am I totally misunderstanding?

Mocked up with absolutely no artistic eye (or photography skill), the leaf would have to be bigger and proper leaf shape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	898C0F82-D086-43B7-82B5-FDB59C5BD77F.jpeg
Views:	468
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	161057  

Last edited by June; 12-29-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added snapshot
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 04:16 PM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The thread with FAQs and Guidelines should post shortly, but here are the basics:

Nominations will start on first of the month and last for a week; each person has three nominations to be used at will to nominate, second or third any book. Three nominations are needed for a book to make the poll, which is multiple choice and will last for five days. The discussion will start on the 15th of the following month.

We hope many who haven't participated before will take a look and join in. The more participants, the better the discussion.
Thanks. I was actually wondering more about how the discussions work--e.g., if they're a free-for-all or have a leader, what the rules are for spoilers. But if FAQ and guidelines are coming, I'll just wait.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks. I was actually wondering more about how the discussions work--e.g., if they're a free-for-all or have a leader, what the rules are for spoilers. But if FAQ and guidelines are coming, I'll just wait.
This shows the advantage of a fresh pair of eyes, as I don't think we address these points!

Discussions are free-for-alls as they stand, but nothing precludes having a leader and indeed, one would be welcome if someone felt attached to a particular book.

Since we will be starting the discussion roughly a month after the selection, the assumption is that the entire book is open for comment, i.e. no spoiler policy relating to that book. However, and I'm speaking personally, I'm a total spoiler-phobe and perhaps we need to address this point for a book in a series. Nothing makes me crazier than saying to someone, "Don't spoil me!" and then they go on to tell me something that I think is a spoiler (I pretty much think everything's a spoiler. ) And yet, I'm willing to take people on faith if they say a book in a series is a standalone, even if it's not the first.

But please, let's not have that argument again!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I can put an image on my H2O, take a photo of it, crop as needed and post. What I think would be good if someone can find or make is a leaf that looks like it's part of a motherboard. [...]
JSWolf, I think you're making it overly complicated - like a book cover that tries to cram all elements of the story onto a cover that's typically going to be seen in tiny thumbnails. This is MobileRead, is it really necessary to highlight the electronic aspect? It is a book club, so perhaps it's not even necessary for the icon to note that we read books.

I've attached an image of a leaf that I happen to like. I took the photo that this was extracted from, so I have full rights to make it available here. Note: I do use a small version of this image on my website, but it's not like so many people go there that everyone in the world will be sick of this image already.

If someone wants to play with combining this image with an e-reader or whatever, feel free - I hereby give my permission. Note, the attached PNG already has a transparent background, so in theory it should be easy to just drop this on top of another image. I left the attachment at a reasonable size so you can do your own resizing as needed.

If I get around to trying anything, it would probably be just to use a reduced size version of that image directly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P0006111-OneLeaf-Large.png
Views:	423
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	161058  
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here is a leaf that may work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leaf.png
Views:	415
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	161059  
Old 12-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And yet, I'm willing to take people on faith if they say a book in a series is a standalone, even if it's not the first.

But please, let's not have that argument again!
If anyone has anything to say about another book in the same series, I would suggest that it be put in a spoiler code.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
If anyone has anything to say about another book in the same series, I would suggest that it be put in a spoiler code.
I agree, Jon, and as I said, I think everything's a spoiler, even the most obvious inference.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:14 AM   #27
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
So many leaves from which to choose. I do like Dazrin's designs, so at least for the time being, plan on using one of them. Even though we all read ebooks, the image of a paper book, using a leaf as a bookmark, really appeals to me.

I don't think we have to have uniformity though. The real point is to let people in other parts of MR know about the book club, and hope to interest them enough that they at least come to have a look.

(And having managed to mess up uploading the signature, I'm having another go!)

Last edited by Bookpossum; 12-30-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #28
June
Addict

Quote:
Here is a leaf that may work.
I do like the simplicity and clean lines of that image. Is it copyright free, if I want to try it?
Old 12-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I do like the simplicity and clean lines of that image. Is it copyright free, if I want to try it?
It came from clipart site. I would think so because the sites that don't alow have a watermark.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #30
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
(And having managed to mess up uploading the signature, I'm having another go!)
The last question of the FAQ has all the images I made and the code that just needs to be copied to your signature of that helps. I am on a phone right now or I would give you a link. I think I posted it up thread though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote