Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Colloquialisms [promises to be Unutterably Silly]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Yes'm ma'am. After I read it, will you take your curse off me??
oh, i won't curse anyone unless i actually get permission (or some concrete evidence that it's in the pd) to upload the book (don't hold your breath). so no worries there. besides, some notable exceptions* aside, "empty threats" would probably be more my style.

*whole different sack of knots. but i might take my curse off you someday. we'll see.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm adding "a whole different sack of knots" to my list of colloquialisms.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm adding "a whole different sack of knots" to my list of colloquialisms.
i am honoured to enrich your collection. i probably have a few more lying around somewhere, if you're interested. for instance, in the same circumstances, i could have said "it's another pair of sleeves." i love colloquialisms too.

i'm still going to keep the glue far away from you, just in case. although there is something you have to admire about a threat that is "patently ludicrous." maybe we could start a list of those as well.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i am honoured to enrich your collection. i probably have a few more lying around somewhere, if you're interested. for instance, in the same circumstances, i could have said "it's another pair of sleeves." i love colloquialisms too.
I shall unabashedly steal that one too -- that's how I get all my best material you know.

Most of mine have a decided "country" flavor, mostly "American" Southern and Texan, so they tend to be a bit earthy.

Here's one of my favorites, it's properly applied to folks who are perceived as not doing the job they should be doing:

"They're just standin' around with their teeth in their mouth."
Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
"They're just standin' around with their teeth in their mouth."
excellent !! just one thing to say about the title, i think with a subject like this it's more a promise than a threat. (mobileread forums, promoting global silliness one thread at a time... i'm in "new tagline creation" mode today)

hmm, let's see... it's a lot harder to think of these abstractly than just use them in context...

aha, here's a good one : for someone who is a few sandwiches short of a picnic (see what i did there ??) you can say "they have a spider on the ceiling".
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've always liked, "He's a few fries short of a Happy Meal."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

"Spider on the ceiling" ... I like it, though it might be a bit subtle for my usual audiences.

Also in the "few fries short" category: "Not enough brains to wad a shotgun" may be a bit opaque for the non-shooters among us (which is probably most of the community), however, "He's got a whole lot of postage but he's missing the zip-code," should be more universally accessible -- I know Europeans don't really have zip-codes, but the idea translates ... doesn't it?.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
excellent !! just one thing to say about the title, i think with a subject like this it's more a promise than a threat.
You're absolutely correct, how unutterably silly of me: it's fixed now.

Say, shall we just coin the acronym "US"? Wait, I guess that one's kinda taken ....
Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Here's a self-depreciating one.

"If brains were Dynamite, I wouldn't have enough to blow my own nose."
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
My favorite is "He's madder than the porcupine who married a pincushion".
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Say, shall we just coin the acronym "US"? Wait, I guess that one's kinda taken ....
pfff !

i think my favorite ones are the "few somethings short of a something" variety. which is in itself pretty good. in fact, i think next time i just say, verbatim, "he's a few somethings short of a something."
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
"If brains were Dynamite, I wouldn't have enough to blow my own nose."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post

oh golly, i think this is my new favorite thread.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
That one's going on my list!

Here's another of my favorites: Why are you grinning like a donkey with a mouth full of bumblebees?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Well, it's better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

True. It's even better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Tags
unutterable silliness